Sign in with
Your question

NTFS Issue

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2009 3:43:00 PM

I have a windows server 2003 sbs box I run on my home network recently I started noticing increased errors in the event log such as this one

The following problem occurred with the Jet database -524: Jet database read or write operations failed. If the computer or database has just been upgraded, then this message can be safely ignored. If this message appears frequently, either there is not enough disk space to complete the operation or the database or backup database may be corrupt. To correct this problem, either free additional space on your hard disk or restore the database. After you restore the database, ensure that conflict detection is enabled in DHCP server properties. For information about restoring the database, see Help and Support Center. Additional Debug Information: JetBackup.

I manually stopped the DHCP service deleted the db files started it back up few hours later same errors returned to event viewer theirs plenty of space on the drive itself so I decided to run chkdsk and it found problems....

Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62784.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62786.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62906.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62907.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62908.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62998.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 62999.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 63000.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 63001.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 63017.
64128 security descriptors processed.
Fixing mirror copy of the security descriptors data stream.
Security descriptor verification completed.
5235 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
537328712 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

39070048 KB total disk space.
9299020 KB in 55112 files.
33636 KB in 5236 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
657924 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
29079468 KB available on disk.

The list was much longer but that was mainly what it consisted of I do have backups kept and stored for the past year I thought maybe the drive was going south so I replaced it restored backup from 1 month ago same thing.. I use Acronis plus built in windows backup utility but before i replaced the drive and restored the backup I decided to run chkdsk with the /f switch on next reboot..that did more harm than good. It looks to me that these ntfs errors are also saved in some of the backups that I have with Acronis which explains why the same problem on new drive is their, any other way to actually fix NTFS filesystem errors without purging the data?

Or should I keep moving back in time by restoring acronis backups and check for this NTFS problem The only thing that I consider important on the server is the Exchange Store which i have backed up every week with the built in windows nt utility and my ISA firewall policy

More about : ntfs issue

a b G Storage
November 4, 2009 5:39:41 PM

Test the memory with memtest86+.
m
l
!