Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 or 4870HD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2008 5:15:49 PM

After seeing the reviews of the 4870, I am a little skeptical about buying the gtx 260. The only reason I am considering the 260 is that I can step up my 9600 from evga for $230 towards a 260. Is this the way to go, or should I just get the 4870?

More about : gtx 260 4870hd

July 18, 2008 5:23:53 PM

260 for $230 is a darn good deal. 4870 does have better performance, but it is somewhat minor (6% on average). But 4870 consumes more power (thus your room will be hotter) and operates at higher temperatures, (meaning possible reliability problem and probably less overclock-able). In your situation I would go with 260 because performance per watt and per dollar (with $230 price) is better. But read reviews and decide for yourself.

EDIT: One more thing, the drivers support right now is a bit better with 260, because it is slightly older card, and due to former dominance of NVIDIA in the market, more games are optimized for it. But these factors may change in future.
July 18, 2008 5:26:53 PM

Its hotter because the fan speed isn't yet set in the initial drivers. I say go for the 260, its just $30 more than the 4850 and performs better
Related resources
July 18, 2008 5:27:05 PM

You would spend $300 on a 4870, so if you are getting $230 towards another evga card why not get a 280 . They are down to $450 so it would only cost you $220
July 18, 2008 5:29:11 PM

Remember to factor in shipping costs (both ways) for the step-up. I still think it would come out around 250, so that would be a good deal. The only thing is you might be able to sell you 9600 on your own, maybe around $100-120, then put that money towards a new card, and then it doesn't seem like such a hot deal in comparison.
July 18, 2008 5:38:57 PM

Yes it's a good deal but MxM exagerate some numbers.

first the power, in this revierw http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3354&p=8, the 4870 consumes 16.1W more than than the GTX260. In %, it's 5.78% for the 6% more performance.

Also, "your room will be hotter". Ask if a bulb of 16W can warm a entire room...

For the temps, a bios update / driver update will correct the problem.

Less overclockable? I don't think so, the RV770 core have shown room for overclock. And this card is more future proof because it's DirectX 10.1.
July 18, 2008 6:07:31 PM

260 because of step up, but if you can sell 9600 and get a 4870 for he same price around, 4870.
July 21, 2008 5:56:42 PM

rousegk7 said:
After seeing the reviews of the 4870, I am a little skeptical about buying the gtx 260. The only reason I am considering the 260 is that I can step up my 9600 from evga for $230 towards a 260. Is this the way to go, or should I just get the 4870?

its smaller (size of the card), a bit faster, probably has more scope for performance improvements through better drivers in the future (it has 2.5 times the shaders and tmus of the 3800 series and a load more bandwidth, but only about 1.8 -2.0 times the performance at this present time), great hdmi features and its dx10.1 - that might seem like a hill of beans right now but if assassins creed is any sign of the dx10.1 times to come:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/11/summer-2008...

Take a look at the 2560x1600 results. Going from 0xAA to 4xAA, the 4870 loses less than 5fps average and the minimum doesnt move an inch from 25fps at both settings. It beats out the gtx280 let alone 260 with AA, and all from just 512mb and 16 rops. You take a gamble on dx10.1 support being widespread in the future, but if it does you know that your card will squash the gtx260 and maybe the 280 even in TWIMTBP titles with a huge 'team green' streak running right through them.

The numbers from the rest of the review look pretty sweet anyway. This very review swayed me after seeing lots of other benchmarks saying the same good things and I went out and got my 4870 shortly after I read it. Its a warm card but so is any other high performance item, and its actually quiet quite too.

...then again if you go for an evga 260 then you've got the step-up program, which is probably the deal breaker :bounce: 
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 7:46:10 PM

Id' favour the HD4870, but the step-up program makes the GTX260 the better price/performer.
July 21, 2008 10:04:12 PM

Take the GTX260, you will get a bit better perfomance.. And 2 in sli is faster than 2 4780 cf :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 10:10:45 PM

All the benchmarks I've seen show 4870's in CF walking all over the GTX 280 in SLI at 1920x1200, so I don't see how a pair of 260's in SLI could beat them.
July 21, 2008 10:12:11 PM

Sorry 6angel.. Your wrong on both counts.. 1 GTX260 wont outperform a 4870, and 2 in SLi won't outperform 2 4870's.. (certains games yes, overall, no)

That being said.. I would suggest using your step-up program and grabbing the GTX260
July 23, 2008 2:20:22 PM

Ok, second option is I have 2 9600 that I can step up. which means I could get 2 GTX 260's for around 300 shipped, I would rather not do this though because I am trying to get away from SLI. Any other suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2008 3:29:00 PM

That would be an awesome option, and I think that is what I would go for. You may be trying to get away from SLI, but in games where it scales, it would be amazing, and even where it doesn't, the worst case performance is that of a single GTX 260, which is hardly disappointing. For that price, I'd go for it.
July 23, 2008 4:51:06 PM

Are you sure you can do step-up on multiple cards? I think there might be something against that in EVGA's policy. If not, then nevermind.

I have to ask, how long before your step-up expires? If you've got a few weeks left, it might not hurt to wait and see what happens.
July 23, 2008 4:55:15 PM

itheral said:
2 in SLi won't outperform 2 4870's.. (certains games yes, overall, no)

Show me?

Show me the proof, I have shown loads of examples of the gtx 260 sli beating/ being even with HD4870 CF in an other thread.I am sick of people talking **** without proof here.

Show me 10 games with gtx 260 sli and hd4870 and add up minimum, average and max frame rate and show me who wins.

Its extremely close.

a b U Graphics card
July 23, 2008 6:07:16 PM

So Dos, if it's extremely close then how is itheral talking $h1zzle any more than 6angel.

Put your objective hat on there for a second before going all mental Fanboi on us.

Deleting those first 3 lines of your reply and I think you're left with a better post. The last sentence being the more acurrate of them all.

And if you wanna do a battle of the benchmarks I can show you either side of the equation, but the most telling being the HD4870CF beating the GTX280 in SLi in many games. The reason there are few GTX260 SLi benchies is for that reason, most people are trying to show that difference.

From what I've seen HD4870 outperforms the GTX260 in more games that vice versa, but they're close enough that it is app specific. However there's still not enough tests out there, and rarely are they on cloce enough platforms (as if the mobo has no impact after all those intel MoBo tests showed wild fluctuations).

Considering what you're reacting to and that itheral is still suggesting the GTX260 despite his view on their respective performance to me says this doesn't fit whatever issue is irking you in other threads. I think you need to back that truck up a bit.
July 23, 2008 9:16:33 PM

6angel said:
Take the GTX260, you will get a bit better perfomance.. And 2 in sli is faster than 2 4780 cf :) 

WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!WRONG!
WRONG!

WRONG!

:fou: 
July 23, 2008 11:59:18 PM

Sigh.. My comment was not meant to sound like I thought the 4870's PWN all..

I was merely correcting 6angel, in that 1 4870 wont "beat" a GTX260 and 2 in CF wont "beat" 2 GTX in SLi.

From all the info I've seen, they are about dead even, with the 4870's coming out ~slightly~ ahead.. a little over HALF the time.

Which is why I suggested the OP use the step and and get a GTX260.
July 24, 2008 12:08:03 AM

itheral said:
Sigh.. My comment was not meant to sound like I thought the 4870's PWN all..

I was merely correcting 6angel, in that 1 4870 wont "beat" a GTX260 and 2 in CF wont "beat" 2 GTX in SLi.

From all the info I've seen, they are about dead even, with the 4870's coming out ~slightly~ ahead.. a little over HALF the time.

Which is why I suggested the OP use the step and and get a GTX260.

For all practical purposes its so close it doesn't even matter - if you already have an SLI board than go with gtx260s; if you are building a new system or have an Intel/Crossfire board than go with 4870s simply because Intel motherboards have less BS involved in their general operation.

ed: Oh yea, last option - WAIT UNTIL AUGUST FOR THE 4870x2 THEN MOTHERBOARD ISN'T NEARLY AS RELEVANT.
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 12:37:01 AM

Or wait for the GTX 55nm refresh. :evil: 
July 24, 2008 12:46:49 AM

lol, yea I guess we'll see what happens there... I think its going to have the same bloody problems the current gen has though :S
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 12:54:04 AM

Yeah, the thing is I'm not sure how long the OP has, but I doubt he could still step-up by the time the 55nm finally arrives.

The X2 is interesting, but for $300 get 2 GTX260, that's still pretty tempting, because the X2 is going to be at least $400, and morelikely $500 anytime soon.

Without that step-up it'd be a slightly different story, but with that benefit, it's tough to not favour the GTX260 regardless of people's opinions on performance or our ideas of longevity.

Sure I'd rather have a Dodge Viper over a Ford GT(40) , but if you're selling the GT for like 50% the price of the Viper, heck gimme 2, or else one and then an Oscar Meyer Mobile as well. :sol: 
July 24, 2008 1:10:03 AM

6angel said:

who are these ppl with the duff advice

i would say go for the 4870 its faster than the 260 but you can go for the step up and save some cash so go for that, both are good gards

July 24, 2008 1:22:57 AM

plus the step up thing is only good if nvidia's cards rox if they put out crap cards all the time you would be stepping up to crap its a catch22

July 24, 2008 1:39:44 PM

If I were you I would find out if I can step-up both of the cards, if you are able to do that going with the 2 gtx260s would be the better choice since you could run them using what you have already. If your looking to upgrade for gaming and money is no option then you could go with 4870's or wait for 4870 X2s and build a system around them. Plus take a look at future expandability the spider platform with amn/ati chipsets is nice and the new chipsets can overclock the cpu pretty nicely.

You just have to consider expandability with a cost to benefit ratio before going out a making a decision.
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 3:01:06 PM

Being close to the same price, normally Id choose the 4870. But it really depends on the games I play. In some games, the G260 looks like it has a slight edge. If those turned out to be the games I play, then Id go for the G260. However, if not, Id go for the 4870, simply because it does win out in more games, and in some, it dominates
July 24, 2008 3:54:10 PM

get a 4870
- its dx10.1
-its got loads of headroom for OC
-it beats gtx 280 on a few title....(260 cant)

NOTE:
-any psu that can handle 260 should have no problem wat so ever with 4870.....its 16W for heavens sake
-temp is not a prob....y doz everi1 keep saying that....just increase ur fan speed to 40%
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 4:16:01 PM

They all mention the heat because its the only thing thats not positive about these cards. My suggestion is, every time you hear it regarding a 4870 is to let whomever know that the nVidia cards dump heat into the case, causing more heat to reach the rest of your components. Thats worse than what is being seen about the 4870, which is made to handle this heat. Also, if the 4870s were designed like the inferior nVidia cooling solution, which dumps some of the heat back into the case, the 4870s would of course be much cooler as well, not holding the heat in the card until its expelled OUT of the case
July 24, 2008 5:02:30 PM

GTX260 is better overall, especially in CRYSIS. Many games in the future will be like crysis, a heavy game-engine. so if wanna be on safe side go with GTX200
July 24, 2008 5:03:23 PM

Why do people put directx 10.1 as a plus for ATI cards? Only a few games even used DX10 and most companies have stated they'll be skipping 10.1.

Since you're stepping up with evga, I would go with the 260 myself. I'd also check out benchmarks on games you play with the 260 vs 4870, see which one wins at your resolution/playstyle(AA preference ect.) If the 4870 wins in the games you play, get it, if the 260 wins get it. Listening to fanboi's of both sides is a bad way to make a purchase(this site has been riddled with fanboi's lately) Find out which is better by observing unbiased charts and have fun.
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 5:14:17 PM

People dont usually recommend a DX9 card over a DX10 card, having a DX10.1 card is an advantage regardless. Thats also something that should be done. Going forward with our abilities, not downplaying it. The G260 also has CUDA capabilities, isnt this also a selling point of this card? All future cards will have DX10.1, you cant say that about CUDA, but its still a great feature. People need to stop bashing progress
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 5:30:05 PM

Liderc said:
Why do people put directx 10.1 as a plus for ATI cards? Only a few games even used DX10 and most companies have stated they'll be skipping 10.1.

Since you're stepping up with evga, I would go with the 260 myself. I'd also check out benchmarks on games you play with the 260 vs 4870, see which one wins at your resolution/playstyle(AA preference ect.) If the 4870 wins in the games you play, get it, if the 260 wins get it. Listening to fanboi's of both sides is a bad way to make a purchase(this site has been riddled with fanboi's lately) Find out which is better by observing unbiased charts and have fun.

It's an advantage because if even one game makes use of it, that's one game that the ATI card can run optimally that the nvidia card cannot. It is in no way a disadvantage, and could potentially be an advantage in a future game, especially with how quickly the DX10.1 installed user base is growing with the new ATI cards (games are more likely to use it).
July 24, 2008 6:12:37 PM

Liderc said:

remember back when Assassins Creed supported dx10.1. it ran really fast wen compared with fps when dx10.1 was not in use. if nvidia included dx10.1 support it would have ran faster on geforce too, no doubt. but then they romoved the support for 10.1. rumor has it that nvidia made them drop it through "the way its ment to be played"......to me its a foul play and i dont think ati should be striped off a plus point becoz of that.....

NOTE: this is no fanboy stuff. this is fact. i game on geforce 9600GT.i bought it bcoz it looked better than 3870.not bcoz i love nvidia or ati
July 24, 2008 6:45:33 PM

concrum said:
GTX260 is better overall, especially in CRYSIS. Many games in the future will be like crysis, a heavy game-engine. so if wanna be on safe side go with GTX200

thats funny.....wat is ur basis of saying gtx260 "better overall"., when we already established from the countless benchmarks that 4870 is atleast 6% faster.

ur that nvidia troll, rit.........u n ur crysis n ur nvidia.the ony game that is supposed to be out using the same engine as crysis is far cry2. but its suposed to be updated and hence more optimized and hence better ferformance. even if its not its JUST 1 GAME. when u say "many", it usually means more than 50% of the games and certainly more than 1 or 2

NOTE: o, n there is the squeal to crysis. but lets face it....how many ppl actualli liked the game.
July 24, 2008 6:47:53 PM

The cards are pretty close, with the 4870 probably on top. Just get wich ever is cheaper. The difference in price is most likely much greater that the difference in performance. Also having a SLi board should have some influence because it makes future upgrading a lot cheaper.
July 24, 2008 7:06:13 PM

and dont forget CUDA, it will be a ilestone in computing indursty in the next 12 months
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 7:17:49 PM

Not necessarily, especially not if the ATI cards keep selling like they are right now.
July 24, 2008 7:33:05 PM

IF cuda becomes important enof, ati can support it through updated driver.....
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 7:33:37 PM

concrum said:
and dont forget CUDA, it will be a ilestone in computing indursty in the next 12 months

According to whom, nVidia? :sarcastic: 

CUDA had been out ofr a long time and the adoption rate is no better nor more compelin than other C compilers.

CUDA for a gamer is as irrelevant as CTM or Cg.

That PhysX was quickly portable to ATi shows that it doesn't require CUDA to work.

The most important announcements for demoing CUDa's abilities, like hadrware accelerated encoding and their folding @ home client, both were already running on other platforms, including using CTM.

So really CUDA is a pretty moot point to most end users, and way back on the list of things to consider.

As for Crysis, it's applicable to Crysis and it's expansion pack Warhead, little else influential is coming out using the Cry Engine 2, and it's unlikely we'll see the same limitations in other games, because you're wrong about it being a 'heavy game-engine' as if that were something descriptive, it's definitely stressful, but there are more stressful test out there and games that can be more stressfful and both architectures do fine with differences in game let alone between games.
July 25, 2008 3:05:31 PM

I agree with the people say that if CUDA becomes important than ati will use an updated driver to so it can use it, but cuda is not meant for gaming as its only used in supercomputers and the one test used in a normal pc to do imaging, but CUDA doesnt support sli from nividia anyways.

I think this post topic has gotten away from its orginal reason, and the original person deciding from 260 gtx and the 4870, and he can get the 260 at a discount with step-up program from evga.
March 3, 2009 4:13:55 PM

dos1986 said:
Show me?

Show me the proof, I have shown loads of examples of the gtx 260 sli beating/ being even with HD4870 CF in an other thread.I am sick of people talking **** without proof here.

Show me 10 games with gtx 260 sli and hd4870 and add up minimum, average and max frame rate and show me who wins.

Its extremely close.

you ask for proof showing the gtx260 in sli will beet the 4870 in crossfire, well why wont you man up and show proof that it doesnt? you are the first one to state the gtx 260 would beat the 4870 so show some proof
March 3, 2009 9:05:32 PM

Hi Guys

The best choice is HD 4870 for the new rebate. Only cost 149$..

Regards!!
!