Get sliding motherboard tray or not

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was looking for a full tower case and I was wondering if a pullout motherboard tray is better to get or pass on. Or is it a personal preference? I have a case in my present gaming system that didn't and it seemed like I was cramming in tight quarters. Maybe it was because of having a mid tower case as well. I don't care if a tower has sharp edges. If there are, I put tape on them and, no problems. When I'm done, the tape comes off easily.

Any recommendations for a good full tower case with a pull out tray and without. With, I was looking at the Apieva-Telstar (the red and black one). I like the gauges as well :) but you can recommend something else. Thank you in advance.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i have a cm stacker 830, a pull out motherboard is more of a personal preference, quite a convenience actually... you get to work more diligently i guess on putting your rig together, especially, ESPECIALLY if you think you'll be pulling it out on a regular basis... which is what i do [great for impatient mofo's such as i, i will headbutt that da** crappy intel HSF locks if i have to >=(]

o and i like my case, never seen that thermaltake before, but i heard good from it... but yeah cm stacker is +1 for me, lots and lots of space, but its a full tower

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Having had a full tower server case for a number of years,with slide out tray.
I cannot see myself with anything else.
The one great advantage to a removable tray is that you can install everything
outside the case !! ,and be certain that it is all done right,especially when it comes to those flimsy Intel HSF's,and too all the other connections mostly the hardware,all in all it boils down to what you are used to,the one problem with the larger cases is the air flow,because the case is larger there is a definite need to be sure of the air flow from low to high and out of the case,sometimes the video card's lack of external exhaust can raise the overall temp in the case,and can even affect the card itself..:>)

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I guess it all depends on how regularly you're going to exchange stuff on your rig. But for the "normal" enthusiast who is flipping his GC every half year or so it's not necessary...

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119142

cm 690. I fell in love with this case when I first worked with it in-shop. I've worked with alot of other gaming cases(Including the thermaltake above), and alot of other buisness class chassi too. the CM 690 is by the best deal I've come by so far. This thing is a brick, so you're not strapping it to a backpack on your way out the door to a lanparty, but it is one of the more ruggedly built cases I've worked with. It has quite a few good fans, and an insane amount of airflow. (the pics dont do this case justice) It seperates the ps air, and includes a very capable and efficient 550w 80+ PS. (The powerpro series is one of my favorites, before I ever used cm cases). The only real problem with this case is it doesnt hold IDE hard drives very well, so if you're reusing legacy drives, forget everything I just said. :p

As far as the tray goes, it really depends on one thing. Do you overclock? If so, pull out trays are a lifesaver. (I mean litterally. Saving your life.)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What?

I have used both with and without motherboard trays and I definitely prefer to have a tray. That said, if you have a particularly tall heatsink (ex. Thermaltake Ultra 120 eXtreme), you may have to remove the heatsink before you can slide it out.

Moving parts wear out. unless the mobo tray screws into the case i would be hesitant of getting one, especially if you mess with the mobo alot. If the case itself is big enough there won't be much difference not having the removable motherboard try.

I have the cosmos rc1000 and rather fat hands. I can easily remove my motherboard and put it in w/o having to remove any of the stuff from it with the exception of the HDD, DVD-rom, and power cables. Also I don't worry about my case rattling as it is 1 solid piece.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
my cm stacker is made of aluminum and has plastic covers on the top and bottom of the tray, so i doubt it;ll wear out in my lifetime..

and i would rather not get one that screws in because threads can wear out with the screw being screwed in and out...

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanx for the suggestions. I went on newegg and check out all the cases all of you mentioned the cases. Seems like Thermaltakes are very popular. I just thought that having a pull out tray, I can do cable management better. No comment about my cable management from my first build lol. You all would slap, kick, poke, and bite (ala Mike tyson) me. I don't have fat hands but they aren't the steadiest.

Other recommendations still welcome :) while i continuously look.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
A pull out tray is really useful if you're trying to install large components that would be tight and uncomfortable job in the confines of a case. You can just slide it out and enjoy the greater freedom if having the tray out. Cable management is not really affected.
For cable management a few zip ties here, cable hooks there and if you're really adventurous use a dremel to cut holes in pre-measured locations for cable routing.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
That's the reason I like the tray; slide it out, work on it, add the components, slide back in, then work on the cables. Air flow and space are important because I will either get a 4870 or 4870x2.

TRENDING THREADS