HD playback - bit confused

Okay I will try and make this as painless as possible...

This is the Blueray / HD DVD drive I'm getting
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133

I will have a Intel Q9450 processor and either a Asus Striker or Nvidoa 780i FTW mobo ( not sure yet )
and 4 Gig of DDR2-800 Ram, two WD Raptors in Raid 0. No idea on video cards yet but it will be running either SLI or Crossfire.

Also getting a Dell Ultrasharp 24" 1920x1200 LCD so I can watch Blueray movies on it.
My question is, do I have to buy a video card that has a HDMI port on it or can I get true HD over DVI ?

I will be using Power DVD 8 Ultra for playback.
If I have left anything out let me know! And thanks!

- Linuxboy00
3 answers Last reply
More about playback confused
  1. You don't need a graphics card with HDMI port. Most of them have DVI to HDMI adapters. Get a 4850. Make sure all your components...MB, Video, monitor are HDCP compliant (best this way).

If not, get "AnyDVDHD" to strip the AASC copy protection from the disc while playing it--I've come across some HD-DVDs that it doesn't work on.

PowerDVD 8 doesn't support HD-DVD. You'll have to use an earlier version, they will co-exist. Also the OEM PowerDVD software that comes with the drive may or may not have multichannel sound--you will have to buy a plugin. There's different ways of setting up the sound, you'll have to read into that. I'm using analog outs from my sound card to get 5.1.
  2. DVI easily supports full HD (and above, actually). You don't need HDMI.
  3. wow! thanks guys for your info.

why would the mobo need to be hdcp complaint, wouldn't just the video cards need be and the monitor?
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards HD Graphics Product