What is 69.3mb used for when making a new partition w/ Partition Magic

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
So I just used Partition Magic to create a new partition and noticed that 69.3mb got used up right away. I liked those 69.3mb. Is there a way to save them? What are they used for anyway?

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

yeah right

seriously, does anyone know why partition magic uses 69.3mb when i make a second partition?

Jonmor68

Distinguished

You were given the information you asked for, if you don't like the answer that's your problem.
If you so desperatly need that extra space buy a bigger drive.

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
The Master Boot Record would only be 512kilobytes in size. Other disk information, volume information and partition tables, is also limited in size to kilobytes, so it can't account for 69.3megabytes, and does not actually reside within the partition anyway.

Again, my question, which I don't think is an unreasonable question, and I think many people would like to know the answer to, is:

What is the reason that 69.3 megabytes are reported as being used after formatting a fresh second partition with Partition Magic, and is there a better way to create a second partition so that they won't be.

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
i can see Windows XP doing using space on the system partition for installation files and other system functions, but a partition? and this isn't a system partition, i made it using partition magic, so what would partition magic need that space for.. i don't get it...

caribouuu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

is is 160gb. please tell me more about this conversion process, as i can't imagine how windows needs 7% of a drive's space to 'convert' 1s and 0s.