GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 X48 RT and Win Vista Ultimate 64 bit Install

xvertirx

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hi,

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this. I'm having a problem installing windows vista ultimate 64 bit SP1. I currently have win XP home installed and it works fine. I left win XP home installed, then booted from the win Vista ultimate DVD. The Vista DVD takes me to an initial screen and asks me to install it. I choose the install option and then it looks like it's going to install and a graphic of a blue screen shows up with nothing else showing. At that point, my computer just hangs there and the DVD stops running and it just basically gets stuck. The blue screen graphic is NOT the BSOD. It looks like Vista starts to install but gets stuck.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to install vista ultimate 64 bit? I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

My rig:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 X48 RT

CPU: INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N R

CPU FAN: ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT RTL

Video card: VGA VISIONTEK HD4870

CASE: LIANLI|PC-A70A SILVER RT

Memory: 2Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF R

DVD: ASUS|DRW-2014L1T LS SATA

Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

PSU: FSP|EVEREST 1010 RT

MOUSE: LOGITECH|910-000173 G9 LASR RT | PAD RAZER MANTIS CONTROL

Soundcard: CREATIVE Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz

HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER|HD 280 PRO R

Legless Ethiopian

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
If its the screen I'm thinking of with the wavy lines in the background you just need to wait and be patient. I have almost the same setup as you and did home professional and I tried a few times installing because I saw the same thing but on the last time I decided just to wait it out and it worked. Vista is probobly just gathering info on your comp and copying files. Hope that helps.

pudgley

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I am assuming your not trying to dual boot..

Do a clean install, you NEVER UPGRADE to vista anything. You will most likely have more problems then you want

backup you S@#$ and start from scratch

xvertirx

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Wow ok I never thought about waiting that long. I just assumed it got stuck. I will give that a shot.

No I am not upgrading. I want to do a clean fresh install.

I was thinking of going dual boot, but it sounds like I shouldn't. That's not a big deal to me. I will do a clean install. In order to do a clean install do I need to format the hard drive before trying to install Vista? I'm assuming if I get Vista to load, then it will give me that option and I can do it at that time.

Thanks again for the replies!

xvertirx

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
**EDIT**
This was an accidental double post. In Firefox, I got an error message saying my password was invalid and I am logged out.

xvertirx

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for the advice again. It turned out that I just needed to wait. I think that's a very odd user experience and Windows should fix that but oh well. I just can't believe it doesn't have some kind of loader bar or message saying "loading"

I finally got it installed.

steeda

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Actually your right, vista just takes so long to install b/c it is setting up drivers for its install. initially vista uses basic drivers for the install and its such a big install that it just takes a while longer, you will notice on the initial start up that a lot of your components work b/c the vista install has setup what they call a default driver for the component and that is one reason for the delay. It is making a list of what default drivers it will install to get the os working a optimal settings when you first install the os. I believe this a better call b/c atleast the os has something to start out with which is a step in the right direction. You will aslo notice this in the future copies of windows b/c eventually there will be a copy of windows where you install the os and every driver will be installed to make it a complete install on a computer.