Sign in with
Your question

Realtemp and clock speeds

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2008 11:53:06 AM

Minor question here: I have a quad QX9650 (with a minor OC to 3.375 GHz). After checking realtemp to ensure temps are OK (only 39 at load :D ), I noticed that the CPU speed was detected at 2.275 GHz, well below even stock speeds. Occasionally, that reading would spike to 3.375, but only for a split second.

I checked the bios (Mobo is a Nforce 790i Ultra), and speedstep is off, so that isn't the issue.

A: Is the speed realtemp giving accurate, or am i forgetting to do a step (multiply by FSB speed, etc.)
B: If I am running only 2.275, how do I fix it?

I'm at my work comp right now, so I can't give any other details, pictures of realtemps reading, etc. Any help would be appriciated.

More about : realtemp clock speeds

August 20, 2008 11:59:55 AM

What does it say at load?

Did you disable C1E as well?

If you are running Vista, what are your power settings?
August 20, 2008 12:02:36 PM

intel speedstep
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2008 12:08:20 PM

qwertycopter said:
What does it say at load?

Did you disable C1E as well?

If you are running Vista, what are your power settings?

No idea, im not at home right now, but I'll check. I forget what C1E does offhand though...I know speedstep is off though.

BTW, XP 32 bit.
August 20, 2008 12:29:00 PM

georgy said:
intel speedstep

Seems like somehow it is getting turned on again...not sure how though.
August 20, 2008 12:34:53 PM

This is what happens when noobs overclock by asking someone for settings or using software to OC.
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2008 12:40:45 PM

Actually, I did the OC myself through the BIOS.

I probably did leave C1E on through...but it'll be another 9 hours before I can check...
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2008 3:33:25 PM

Quote:
C1E (Enhanced Halt State) lowers the CPU voltage and clock speed when halt commands are issued by the operating system. This is a power saving option and would be one cause of the readings you are seeing with RealTemp.

However, I assume that under load your processor reports the fully overclocked speed. Unless you are experiencing problems with your overclock, having EIST (SpeedStep) and C1E enabled is actually not a bad thing.

Yeah, I wasn't doing much when I checked the temps. I'll check the speeds when playing Crysis later.
!