Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P55 vs. P58 Raid Limitations??

Last response: in Storage
November 1, 2009 2:12:05 PM

I hope this is the right forum. It's my first post....

I've been running a shared XP drive on my LAN as a NAS with great success.

I'm looking at a new build. In that machine, I'd like to have one logical drive as a non-RAID boot drive (let's call it drive "C:") which will have all the software programs, etc. This is a single physical unit. I'd like to have a second logical drive (two physical units) which is a RAID 1 drive (let's call it drive "D") which will have all the data from the various machines around the house. There will also be one or two CD/DVD drives as well. This will all be under Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm looking at ASUS P7P55D EVO motherboard manual and find this quote:
"Due to chipset limitation, when set any of the SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together".

Does this mean I can't do what I want to do with the P55 chipsets??? If I can do what I want to do, what does that warning mean??

I've looked at the ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard manual and do not find anything similar.

Does this mean that I can do what I want to do with the X58 chipsets???

Thanks.

Steve

More about : p55 p58 raid limitations

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
November 2, 2009 4:41:55 AM

You can still use single disks even in RAID mode, just create an array consisting of only one disk, as JBOD or RAID0. It would require using the RAID-drivers during installation, although Windows 7 appears to have some RAID-drivers already included in the installation medium.

This would allow you to set RAID mode on your onboard SATA connectors, and use both a single disk as C: system drive, as well as a RAID1 which will be D:.

As a related note, i would like to add that a RAID1 is largely unnecessary for consumers. While RAID1 gives you two "copies" of data on each disk, its mainly used to guarantee access to the data for high-profile servers. For consumers, its not a disaster if you don't have access to your files for just 5 minutes; you won' t loose 3 million per minute having no access to your data.

Instead, a backup provides a much greater protection for consumers, as it protects against much more dangers than RAID ever can. Think about accidental deletions, virusses, filesystem corruption, etc. All these risks will still corrupt your data on a RAID1 even with both disks being perfectly fine.

Using those both disks as backup solution instead would also solve your problem with RAID; as you wouldn't need RAID at all and just have three drives:
1) system drive
2) data drive
3) backup of data drive

That simple. :) 
November 2, 2009 9:57:56 AM

Thank you! I really appreciate your even handed and informative response.

Steve
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2009 12:54:47 PM

Hi thunderbirl,

just create your raid with the wanted hds.

The left hd will be set as "non raid member" and will be see as a single drive.

Done this on my P5W DH Deluxe with ICH7, no problems.

All sata ports are set in raid mode (you need drivers to install windows) but not all hd must be in a raid array (it's optional).

Brad
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
November 2, 2009 1:46:21 PM

Depends per RAID controller. Some won't allow plain disks without creating it as a RAID array. But i don't have personal experience with the Intel controller so its possible. Would be easy if it works like you said djbrad007. :) 
m
l
!