Motherboard and Memory for Q6600 - DDR2 or DDR3??

G

Hi

I'm putting together a computer for the first time.. I've come to the conclusion that I will use the Q6600 processor..

I'm going to use the computer for normal work, but it's still going to be one of the fast ones, because I'm editing images for homepages and bookmarks and stuff like that in my spare time, and my laptop (AMD TL-58 1,9GHz 2GB RAM) was simply to slow for the big images.. I'm going to have 1 or more virtual computers/servers running for some school work, so it should be able to handle this too..

But at the same time I have a budget, that means, it's not going to be a overkill gamer pc.. I'm just looking for a computer for simply use, which is fast and able to handle more things at the same time without crashing.. And still I want to be able to use this computer for the next many years if possible.. ;)

but yeah, I've chosen the Q6600, but now I need a motherboard and some memory.. I've never overclocked a computer before, but i was considering to try it, because I've read that the Q6600 should be able to be overclocked quit much.. So if the motherboard is able to do this and still be stable, it would be nice.. ;)

I've been looking at Asus P5KC and P5K-E/wifi or what's it called.. and that's about the price range I'm able to give for the motherboard.. I've heard ASUS and Gigabyte should be good, and that Abit is just something cheap.. ??

Should I buy DDR3 or can I still use DDR2 ?? Are the difference so big that I should get DDR3 and spend the more money on this ??

I'm planning on buying the Asus EN9600GT Silent..

Thanks for the help ;)

Kind Regards Stephen

G

Okay, I think I found the parts I want:

MB: P5K-E/WIFI-AP
CPU: Q6600
RAM: OCZ Titanium 2x2GB
VGA: EN9600GT Silent HTDI
PSU: Antec EA 500EC - Already bought

What do you think about it ??

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
The Q6600 is still capable. You should go for DDR2, its cheaper. Even if you plan to OC it will still have enough headroom.
Edit: do you really need a wifi board? A normal one is cheaper. Asus, gigabyte or abit will do. (abit is not 'cheap' btw :p)

G

Okay, I came to the same conclusion about DDR2 vs. DDR3..

It would be nice with wifi, but not needed.. then I just have to have a longer cable and a switch in my room..

Okay.. Abit isn't .. ? I meant the build quality .. But which motherboard would you suggest then ?

It's going to just be a cheap computer, so unless the 45nm is REALY better than 65nm and worth the money, I don't want to change to a new one..

If you are on a budget, like blackwidow said use ddr2 and drop the wifi board. I would use Gigabyte or ASUS for the mobo. I now prefer Gigabyte as a 1st choice but they are both good brands.

I wouldve bought a more powerful video card for what you are wanting to do.

There is a special from tigerdirect on referbed EVGA cards: (was 300.00 when they came out)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4107629&CatId=3690

You will need one 6pin power connectors for this video card so check your psu for those connectors. You could get an adapter if you dont. It should come with one but its a referb so it may not. Its referbed from EVGA so I think for the price its trustworthy IMO.

There are some other good options that are economically friendly. Go here to find what you want on the charts then check the internet for price comparrisons:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,30.html

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
no reason to go DDR3, it's too expensive for now.

Your "cheap" computer will still provide great performance.

You can always pick up an inexpensive wifi card if you decide you can't live without it.

Asus and Gigabyte mobos are great. Gigabyte boards are a little easier to overclock, while Asus boards usually offer more tweaking options in the BIOS

my only further recommendation, since you're saving some dough on memory, processor, and board, is to look at an 8800gt or perhaps a 4850 for the vid card. those will provide you a little more future "gameability", though if you stay with the 9600gt, you'll probably still be ok, depending on your monitor size and preference for higher in-game settings

G

The reason why I chose EN9600GT Silent, was because the EN8600GT Silent didn't have the opportunity of using HDMI with sound.. And I don't think I need more power on the video card.. I'm not a gamer ;) but I'm going to use a 24" samsung screen as primary and 42" flat-tv for movies (via HDMI).. but is there a cheaper video card with possibility of using HDMI with sound.. ??

Do you have any suggestions for which motherboard I should choose ??

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Ati cards have onboard sound (seperate or through HDMI and no need to connect gfx card to sound card). Don't know if you'll find a silent one. But a 3850, 3870, 4670(?) or 4850 (the hot one) should do at that resolution

G

blackwidow, thanks :D

if the hardware is newer, it should be better, right .. ?? so I should chose a P45 motherboard .. ?

G

okay.. it's cheaper than the P5K-E wifi too .. nice ;)

about the grafic card.. which brand (I don't know if it's called so) should I go for.. ?? Sapphire, Gigabyte, Asus, Gainward .. ?? I would like a "silent" if possible.. and about the same price range as the Asus EN9600GT Silent..

G

Why should I choose the P45 Gigabyte instead of the P5Q SE/R??

do you have any specific graphic cards in mind ??

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Ive had bios trouble with 2 asus boards before and gigabyte has a good track record.
Sapphire usually have custom cooling on their gfx cards that should be cooler/silent. And some Asus ones too. Can't find one for you now, posting from my phone

G

okay, one of my colleagues have bad experiences with Asus motherboards, but I know the school where I'm taking my education (IT) is using Asus motherboards and graphic cards.. the newest computers they are using have P5E deluxe and EN9600GT Silent..

But is there any reason for me not to buy the EN9600GT HTDI Silent ?? Are the ATI cards faster or the same speed but lower or same price.. ??

G

If I wouldn't choose the Gigabyte MB, but a board with a little more features such as e-sata for example, which board should I choose.. ? or is the GA-EP45-DS3L good enough compared to the P5KC, P5K Pro and P5K-E Wifi.. ?? the last MB has E-sata.. I don't know if I'm going to use it, but it would be nice to have just in case ;) :p

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
The 9600gt is a decent card - i'm running one at the moment.
There is a gigabyte board that has e-sata. Go to newegg and look under the P45 boards. It costs a bit more though, only take it if you are going to use it. For wifi, get a seperate PCI card. Its more flexible. With the ATI cards that i listed above, only the 4850 is faster and the 3870 is about equal.
Sorry that i cant link you! Got no internetz at the moment (phone again)

G

okay.. then I just think I will get the EP45 DS3L.. if that's good enough for me..
Thank you very much for your help Blackwidow :)

What do you think about the Sapphire RADEON HD 3870 512MB with DDR4 single slot.. ?? it's not a silent, but it looks better than the 9600GT on the specs, but at a lower price.. or the Sapphire RADEON HD 3870 Ultimate Edition 512 DDR4 - is this one is silent, or should you just buy the fan youself .. ??

G

Can I use the OCZ Titanium for the Gigabyte MB and Q6600, or should I choose something else .. ??

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
The titanium is fine, ocz are very good. 3870/9600gt are about equal. They trade blows so to speak. The sapphire ultimate is probably an overclocked version. If you can, buy the normal version and get a nice zalman heatsink (vf1000). That would be the coolest/quietest route.
EDIT: i googled up on the titanium. It's DDR2-1066. You won't need that speed if you don't overclock passed 400mhz. Get DDR2-800, its cheaper and you could get more of it too

G

okay.. would you suggest using some other RAM instead ??

okay, but the specs look like the ATI is best.. GDDR4 instead of GDDR3 and faster and so on .. ??
hmm I think I will choose the Ultimate edition, because it also has silent cooling, so I don't have to switch this myself.. and it only costs 100 Danish kroner more than the "normal" sapphire 3870.. about 20 US dollar..