Install 2nd HD xps410 motherboard

wient

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Wanting to enlarge my drive C with a newly purchased 1tb hard drive. Location on motherboard for second HD? So what I would be doing is moving all data (including system) from original drive C, and transferring to my condary and then switching my new HD and making it my drive C?

MANY THANKS!

Any SATA port will be fine.
You should clone the data from the old hard drive to the new hard drive expanding the size of the original partition or make two separate partitions, one for OS and one for data. Use Acronis True Image for this task. Shut down after cloning, remove the old drive and you are set.
Since you are new to this, make a backup in advance in case anything goes wrong.

wient

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
THANK YOU so much!

Will I need a partition program as well to expand with or does True Image do that for me?

Also do you know anything about EASEUS Todo Backup?

It claims to do similar but it is Free which at the present time, sounds good ... anything helps on the wallet.

MANY THANKS, Duane

wient

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
THANK YOU so much!

Will I need a partition program as well to expand with or does True Image do that for me?

Also do you know anything about EASEUS Todo Backup?

It claims to do similar but it is Free which at the present time, sounds good ... anything helps on the wallet.

MANY THANKS, Duane

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can likely get a FREE disk-cloning utility from the website of the manufacturer of your new drive. From Seagate you can download and install on your current C: drive a package called Seagate Disk Wizard, which is a customized version of Acronis True Image. From WD you can download their Acronis True Image WD Edition. Other disk makers have similar tools available. In general, these tools are set up so they will make a clone only TO a drive by that same maker. They don't care whose older drive you are replacing, but they are happy to help you move to one of their drives.

When you get the package, install it on your C: drive and read the included user's manual. They often have lots of useful tools, and cloning is just one of them. As evongugg says, it also will do all of the Partitioning and Formatting for you. Just watch for a couple of things. By default, it often will offer to make the clone the same size as the original. But as evongugg says, change that to make your new Primary Partition the size you really want, up to the whole disk if that's your choice. Tell it to make that Primary Partition bootable so you can boot from it and use it as C:. Choose the NTFS File system if you have a choice.

My own preference, once the clone is made, is to shut down and swap cables around so that the machine is booting from the new drive on the same SATA port that it always used, but that is not really necessary. Then I disconnect the old drive completely (remove physically or not - your choice) and let it serve as a good backup copy while you work with the new drive. Later, when you're completely satisfied, you can reconnect the old drive and do what you want with it. But when you FIRST try to boot from the new drive, go into the BIOS Setup screens and make sure the Boot Priority is set to use the new drive and does NOT try to access the old one for boot purposes.

wient

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Oh my gosh ... you are wonderful!

This data really helps ... I've been online with WD and picked up the software !!!

THANK YOU ALL for your invaluable help!

Duane

wient

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Just a short note to let all you guru's know that this expansion is complete and because of YOU and your help, it went perfect!

I used WD Acronis, which is free on their website, I then cloned the drives without a hitch.

I could not believe how smooth this went ... and to think how long I've waited fearing this transition.

I want this forum to know how much I appreciate having a place to go without talking and being on hold via the telephone!

I am certainly a TRUE BELIEVER of ... Toms Hardware Forum!!!

YOU are ALL PRICELESS.

Regards, Duane