bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I currently have the emachines listed in this link:

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

I added another gig of memory, for 2 sticks of ram total. I also added a 2600xt 256mb pcie card. So far it runs just fun when I game (COD4). However I am thinking of adding another harddrive (IDE 7200rpm 500gb WD) and I don't know if the 300watt PS will handle the extra drive. What do you guys think? I would rather not buy the extra PS if I don't need it because I'm tight on money. However if I do need it, can you guys recommend a cheap power supply (the cheaper the better). I don't really plan to do anything else to the computer, I just need the extra HD to work.

thanks

halister_one

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
DDR...IDE...AGP? Any upgrade would be money wasted. Instead, why don't you get a newer system that supports DDR2, SATA, and PCI-E?

If you are intent on upgrading, you will most definitely need a better PSU. I own a similar emachine and it's 300W PSU is crap. Couldn't support a 6800 at all.

bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
yeah well my 2600xt plays COD4 at decent framerates (~35 at all high settings) and that is more than enough for me. I just want a new harddrive to store media, and I'm pretty sure there is a converter to change IDE to SATA if I were ever to upgrade to a SATA system. Getting a whole new machine is not an option for me, and as I had not asked about that, I don't understand why it would be brought up. Not everyone is rolling in money.

So my question remains, will my 300watt PS hold up the new harddrive?

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
i would be concerned about adding another harddrive. typically those machines are made with the bare minimum to support the components and low quality psu at that.

halister_one

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
As I said in my previous post, it's a good idea to upgrade the crappy PSU, but since you're strapped on cash...

A harddrive doesn't draw in much power, so I don't think there will be any issues, on the short run anyways.