Sign in with
Your question

3yr old ASUS, need GPU upgrade - help! (compatibility)

Tags:
  • Asus
  • GPUs
  • Cases
  • Compatibility
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 18, 2008 4:25:29 PM

I am in a bit of a situation here where i need to buy a new rig, but it may be a few months and i desparately need a performance increase from my old GeForce 6800 ultra GPU... playing Warhammer Online at 12 - 15 constant FPS (using lowest possible settings in game) is killing me guys.

So, here is what i was going to do:

Buy the new GPU, use it with my current old rig, and wait a few months to buy all the rest of my new setup.

(Question 1: are the new nVidia GPU's compatible with a 3 year old ASUS mobo?) [i will post the exact model when i get home from college]

{if not, what is a cheap temporary GPU solution that IS compatible}

Buy a new case and move my parts from the alienware case to a new case (its a 3 year old alienware rig with some heating issues)

(Question 2: are alienware setups built any different to where i shouldn't try to transfer cases, or is it just a fancy looking over-priced case/brand with parts that i could have spend half the amount on; and is easily transferable from case to case)

More about : 3yr asus gpu upgrade compatibility

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 18, 2008 4:44:33 PM

Please list your asus board model number; the power supply specs off the alienware case, and your video card budget for recommendations. Chances are you'll be fine reusing some of your old components.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2008 4:45:27 PM

We need a lot more info. complete parts list including PSU please.
September 18, 2008 4:55:05 PM

alright, sorry about that guys, in about 2.5 - 3 hours i'll be home and can give the necessary info :/ 
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2008 5:21:54 PM

Yeah, like what's your CPU, Mother Board, and PSU. If you got an AGP slot you're pretty limited, but I'm guessing you got PCI-E since it's an Alienware.
!