Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • GPUs
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Physx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2008 3:02:49 AM

No contest havoc is outdated and slow compared to physx running on a gpu check out this test its a real eye opener.

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=24853

I did the same myself all i have to say is wow without physx it runs like mud on havoc.

More about : physx havoc

July 19, 2008 3:28:39 AM

I don't know where to start, but this is wrong on so many levels.
July 22, 2008 8:29:41 AM

Microsoft was supposed to have one physics standard that everyone would meet, but for now, we're not seeing it. I wish there was more compatibility.

The last game I played with physics was Oblivion, and it's no big deal for me. I'm more into CRPG gameplay than watching monster bodies fall down in rag doll fashion. Physics there made setting the table in one's house an unintended minigame!

Physics is more important in FPS it seems. So, I can see why people want it as FPS are more popular than CRPGs. Just wish there were one standard to rule them all.

Nvidia's in a bit of a pickle with Futuremark, and the following sources state that GPU physics results are being removed by Futuremark.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7969.html

And it's all because of Nvidia cheating. Overwriting Futuremark's own DLL's so that when an ATI card is tested alongside an Aegia PPU, that the PPU is not activated? This is far worse than the Crysis demo water issue.

IMHO, Nvidia does not have to cheat and Microsoft should deliver on full physics support in DirectX.
Related resources
July 22, 2008 8:34:48 AM

techguy911 said:
No contest havoc is outdated and slow compared to physx running on a gpu check out this test its a real eye opener.

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=24853

I did the same myself all i have to say is wow without physx it runs like mud on havoc.

The "test" is between running PhysX on the CPU and PhysX running on the GPU, not between PhysX and havok

Seriously, what the hell :pfff: 
July 22, 2008 10:08:21 AM

I actually wish Nvidia would have just kept Aegia physics cards going under the Nvidia label. Physics on the GPU might impact framerates that people want in FPS.

I'll want physics in a CRPG when you can set a table in your house without it being a minigame. Physics applied to plates and bowls in Oblivion to the same degree as daedra et. al. was actually amusing at first.

I guess people don't buy houses and roleplay in Crysis? LOL

How important is physics to you guys? Do most games need it applied to practically every object? I'd rather see destructable environments like trees that could be set ablaze by a fireball that missed a mob.

Will DX11 finally incorporate the standard we've been promised, and will Intel, ATI and Nvidia follow it?
July 22, 2008 10:39:43 AM

yipsl said:
I actually wish Nvidia would have just kept Aegia physics cards going under the Nvidia label. Physics on the GPU might impact framerates that people want in FPS.

I'll want physics in a CRPG when you can set a table in your house without it being a minigame. Physics applied to plates and bowls in Oblivion to the same degree as daedra et. al. was actually amusing at first.

I guess people don't buy houses and roleplay in Crysis? LOL

How important is physics to you guys? Do most games need it applied to practically every object? I'd rather see destructable environments like trees that could be set ablaze by a fireball that missed a mob.

Will DX11 finally incorporate the standard we've been promised, and will Intel, ATI and Nvidia follow it?

I think the most "fun" I had was try to cram all my books in to book shelves... Suddenly a particularly feisty book would "twang" and throw all the books of the shelf. time to start over...
July 22, 2008 10:49:20 AM

I think if physics is going to be used it should apply to every object, GTA 4 is really starting to piss me off because i cant drive through some stuff but other things i can, same with blowing things up, i can blow up a car but not a big tank with a flammable icon on the side?
July 22, 2008 11:03:56 AM

also can you change the name of the thread cause, it was a benchmark of physx on the CPU vs GPU. NOT Havok vs physx.
January 28, 2009 7:29:54 PM

Wow its almost like physics cards aint been out for 10 years or something :) 

My 2 cents worth, obviously now that Nvidia swallowed Ageia forget about any other option.
!