Can I RAID 0 stripe 3 HD's together on P5Q-E MB?

james-dean

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hello all:
I am able to RAID 0 2 HD's but would like to RAID 3 together on this MB.
The onboard controller is ICH10 Southbridge. Once again the MB is ASUS P5Q-E
Can this be done with this MB?
Thanks in advance

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Yes you can. If they are all the same size it would be best.... They can be different sizes BUT all the drives will be formated to the smallest size. IE: 1X160G and 2X200G hard drives would come out to 3X160=480G...

Hook the 3 drives to the SATA ports and enter the BIOS and under SATA confriuration select RAID. Save BIOS and Reboot. When Intel Matrix RAID utility comes us press <ctrl+i> enter the RAID manager. Create the RAID and add all 3 drives to the RAID and save the RAID and exit the manager. You will have to reboot. enter BIOS and select the Intel RAID as boot hard drive and save and exit

Then you can boot to a CD/DVD and install your OS (NOTE: if you are installing Windwos XP you will need the RAID Drivers on a floppy and press F6 to install the drivers or slipstream the drivers into XP with a program like Nlite)

1Haplo

james-dean

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Thank You.
They are Seagate 160GB drives (all). I'm getting ready to switch from XP32 to Vista64.
With Vista, don't I need to install the RAID Drivers (ICH10) with a floppy too, or is that just with XP?
I'm not sure if all 3 drives are attached to the SATA ports. Is there a way to tell while in xp pro, or do I have to look at my motherboard?
I have 2 3870x2 Video Cards on my motherboard with barely any room to to spare, I don't want to have to take out my Video Cards if I don't have to.
Thanks again everyone.

james-dean

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hello:
The RAID Controller I have is Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA, Driver version 8.0.0.1039.
In the BIOS- under MAIN> Storage Configuration> Configure SATA as: RAID
Then under BOOT, I have:
Hard Disk Drives>1st Drive>[RAID]ST3160811AS
2nd Drive>[RAID]Intel RAID.0
If I'm understanding correctly, this indicates that all 3 of my HD's are attached to the SATA ports, correct? If not, where in the BIOS would I be able to tell?
Thank You.