Only shows partial capacity or partition

When I look at one of my partitions in disk manager it says that it has a capacity of 32gb, but under the disk it says 124gb.
6 answers Last reply
More about only shows partial capacity partition
  1. So? You have a partition that doesn't fill the entire drive. Either make a bigger partition or create multiple partitions, to use the full capacity of your drive.

Don't use FAT partitions; use NTFS. FAT is limited in size and filesize (no files greater than 2 gigabytes).
  2. ^ FAT16 was limited to 2GB while FAT32 was limited to 4GB (I agree with your recommendation though).
  3. Close enough, but thanks for the correction. :)

Its possible to use a higher cluster size to stretch the limits a bit, though. But generally there's no reason to use FAT anymore. Every major OS can use the closed source reverse-engineered NTFS.
  4. sub mesa said:
    So? You have a partition that doesn't fill the entire drive. Either make a bigger partition or create multiple partitions, to use the full capacity of your drive.

Don't use FAT partitions; use NTFS. FAT is limited in size and filesize (no files greater than 2 gigabytes).

No, it says the partition is labeled 124 gigs, but it says its capacity is only approximately 32gb. And it is NTFS.
  5. This appeared when I was cloning my older drive to a newer drive.
  6. Put up some screenshots of Disk Management; this will help diagnose your issue.

Do you have any jumpers located on your HDD?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Storage