Sign in with
Your question

Only shows partial capacity or partition

Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2009 2:16:03 AM

When I look at one of my partitions in disk manager it says that it has a capacity of 32gb, but under the disk it says 124gb.
a c 127 G Storage
November 2, 2009 3:57:16 AM

So? You have a partition that doesn't fill the entire drive. Either make a bigger partition or create multiple partitions, to use the full capacity of your drive.

Don't use FAT partitions; use NTFS. FAT is limited in size and filesize (no files greater than 2 gigabytes).
m
l
a b G Storage
November 2, 2009 1:57:13 PM

^ FAT16 was limited to 2GB while FAT32 was limited to 4GB (I agree with your recommendation though).
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
November 2, 2009 2:08:01 PM

Close enough, but thanks for the correction. :) 

Its possible to use a higher cluster size to stretch the limits a bit, though. But generally there's no reason to use FAT anymore. Every major OS can use the closed source reverse-engineered NTFS.
m
l
November 2, 2009 9:48:14 PM

sub mesa said:
So? You have a partition that doesn't fill the entire drive. Either make a bigger partition or create multiple partitions, to use the full capacity of your drive.

Don't use FAT partitions; use NTFS. FAT is limited in size and filesize (no files greater than 2 gigabytes).

No, it says the partition is labeled 124 gigs, but it says its capacity is only approximately 32gb. And it is NTFS.
m
l
November 2, 2009 9:50:34 PM

This appeared when I was cloning my older drive to a newer drive.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
November 3, 2009 12:24:49 AM

Put up some screenshots of Disk Management; this will help diagnose your issue.

Do you have any jumpers located on your HDD?
m
l
!