remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I just ran Prime for 3hrs. with no errors. When i went to restart to get back into my bios it skipped the Gigabyte screen and went right to the verifying dmi pool screen and half of it was purple. Then when loading windows i had short vertical lines all through the screen but it still goes into windows ok. Anyone have any ideas?

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Yes- i was testing for stability on my 720 BE OCed to 3.6Mhz with my multiplier at 18x with voltage reading 1.392 on cpuz. I have the Saphire Radeon 4830 OCed to 700/1100 but havent had any problems. How would my card overheat? Prime just tests cpu and memory doesnt it? I mean i hope thats it cuz ,an would i be upset if i fried my cpu or mobo. I'm scared :(

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
hey all ! I got it back up. i just didnt leave my cmos battery out long enough for it to clear. everything is fine with the onboard graphics so i am rma-ing my 4830 and getting a new one. thank you

festerovic

Distinguished
Glad you got it working again.

Prime does test just the cpu, but if you manually OC your video card, say with ATI tray tools, you could leave it on a OC profile. That may or may not generate enough heat to hurt the card, but if you had a weak cooler, or live where its hot (its summer...) that could cause the card to cook. Video cards overheating tend to show corruption or other weird artifacts when they get too hot.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Thank you. It was the card. I RMA'd it and should have my new one this week sometime. I will monitor my temps on the card a little better this time to make sure it doesnt happen again. I used CCC to OC it. Had it up to 700/1100 and it was going fine but i guess it just got too hot. Might have to look into a gpu cooler if i cant keep the temps down.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Cool ! Thanks :) As soon as i get my card back i will check them out. Would it be worth crossfiring the 4830? They are inexpensive and can OC almost to a 4850. Seems like it wouldnt be too bad.