Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 setup

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2009 5:52:31 AM

my pc core 2 quad 2.4, gigabyte p43, saphhire 4870x2, ocz fatality 2x2 gb ram, 700w psu,
seagate barcuda 7200.12 500 gb raid o hdd.

i got the new seagate barcuda 7200.12 500 gb and a manhattan 300 2 port sata controller.
when i ran the pc benchmarks in HDtunes i got max 130mbps, i saw a cople of reviews
and they got around 220mbps max. am i missing some thing to get those high benchmarks.plz advice

More about : raid setup

a c 126 G Storage
November 2, 2009 7:09:07 AM

Do you have a PCI-express or PCI controller?

As you know, PCI is old and slow; you won't get higher than 133MB/s throughput.

If its PCI-express, you probably tested it in the wrong way. Please download HDTune PRO and run the "File Benchmark", make a screenshot and post the result here.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 2, 2009 11:32:35 AM

the review i was talking about

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1526&pageID=6597

note that he is using highpoint controller i guess it is costly and powerful than mine

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1526&pageID=6596

i have a manhattan card

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/5756-s...

i think just screwed it up.

i updated the drivers from manhattan site......then the bench marks were same...........i got mad...

then i searched for the bios updates and found them on silicon image, 3132 the chip in manahattan.

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?...

i download them and reflashed the controller through windows >control panel> controller settings the reflash was sucessfull. but when i restated the pc it says "system disk failure"...........very very bad .....please help me do get out of this ...........i think i need to reflash it through floppy(i dont have a fdd).my pc is in raid i think i got the wrong bios update i cant recall which one i did in the list............please help me
Related resources
a c 126 G Storage
November 2, 2009 2:21:05 PM

You were talking about performance issues. Are you saying you don't have the RAID working right now?

The Silicon Image SiI-3132 chip is PCI-express yes. If you want to discuss performance, please post a HDTune File Benchmark screenshot.
a c 126 G Storage
November 2, 2009 2:22:18 PM

Ah you flashed the wrong BIOS.. sigh.

Maybe you should just use the onboard SATA connectors and not use RAID? Its probably causing you more trouble than its worth.
a c 126 G Storage
November 2, 2009 2:23:49 PM

What i do not understand, you open a topic for performance help, but don't wait for any advice and go try risky things on your own. If you don't want any help then don't create a topic; if you do want help wait for the advice. You could have saved yourself some headaches.

You just ran the wrong benchmark. You should have ran HDTune Pro "File Benchmark" instead and you would have gotten much higher scores.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2009 2:42:25 AM

yes ur right i was in much hurry....anyways....i went to the shop i purchased it from.

they fixed it for me now the pc is back on.today i will try to get HDTune Pro and bench mark it. but the review i was talking about used hd tune 2.52..and i am using hdtune 2.55. also the shop guy said me next week they will have a stock from high point card controllers.and said i can exchange mine with a better one.whta u say about this......ok i will not hurry this time and listen to wht experts will advice me.
a c 126 G Storage
November 3, 2009 2:45:42 AM

Post a HDTune screenshot, its 5 minutes work.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2009 5:10:23 AM

sure right its 5 min work.......but sorry right now i am in office so i will do it in evening once i get home. thx for ur good responce.
a c 126 G Storage
November 3, 2009 5:20:35 AM

Alright no problem. :) 
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 4, 2009 2:37:10 AM

ok. i did the benchmarks with hd tune pro, but i am unbale to add the snaps , this is the first time i am on any such forum, so where is the attacment option in this ???????

any ways

i got
min:82.6mbps
max:134mbps
burst:85.2mbps

so u see in the review they got 210mbps max.......i think there is problem with my raid controller.......plz advice....
a c 126 G Storage
November 4, 2009 2:41:08 AM

You can upload images on image upload sites, like http://imageshack.us

Without looking at the screenshot, i cannot judge if you ran the correct benchmark. Did you run the "File Benchmark" ?
November 4, 2009 4:31:36 AM

http://img10.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=benchmarkw.jpg

thx i did know about thi site..

so wht u say.......?

yes i remember ....toms registration failed as they did not send me any mail..........i tried to get it but it did not work any way abdulla123 & abdullah12345 both are myself only.
November 4, 2009 8:39:03 AM

sub mesa said:
You can upload images on image upload sites, like http://imageshack.us

Without looking at the screenshot, i cannot judge if you ran the correct benchmark. Did you run the "File Benchmark" ?

sub mesa i am still waiting for your help...........
a c 126 G Storage
November 4, 2009 9:33:23 AM

Ah yes, appears you did the benchmark right. It still gives too low scores; even on the filesystem.

Can i ask what stripesize did you use when you setup the RAID? Did you had any choice when you created it? Most onboard RAIDs, including Silicon Image which i worked with, had the opportunity to select stripesize between 16KiB and 128KiB (16/32/64/128). Normally 128KiB gives the best performance you should test both 64KiB and 128KiB. Note that changing the stripesize means that any data on the RAID is gone; so count this as a full format.

Also, are you positive you are using a PCI-express card, and not PCI?
November 4, 2009 9:43:19 AM

1. While setup i used 128kb and also while testing i used 128kb.

2. I am 100% sure it is PCI-express card.

see the product link

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/5756-s...

About benchmarking at 64kb and setting up at 64kb,,,,,,,i am sorry as

this thing gave me enough hard time since a week.

so should i go for some high point sata controller.??????

or just be happy with what i have............( but i am not happy seeing the good results i was expecting in the review of the HDD)

plz advice
a c 126 G Storage
November 4, 2009 10:09:47 AM

At this point i'm not sure you will get proper performance, so it might not be worth the trouble. In many cases though, the HDTune file benchmark would have given you higher scores so i do feel it was worth checking out.

However, it appears your performance is pretty weak and you can look for another RAID solution ofcourse. The best would be onboard RAID with Intel ICHxR drivers with the 'write caching' option enabled, though that's dangerous since it might corrupt data in case of a crash or power failure.

Highpoint makes RAID products in several categories: FakeRAID (drivers), Hardware Assisted (RR23xx/24xx) and true Hardware RAID (3xxx) using Intel IOP.
November 4, 2009 10:20:07 AM

once the shop guy get the new stock of highpoint controller
i will let u know the model and details before i buy.

ok is raid 0 with 2 hdd good enough or should i go for 3-4 hdd.

also have a look at my pc. this is before i configured the raid 0

http://img407.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc07725.jpg
a c 126 G Storage
November 4, 2009 10:27:33 AM

Why don't you just use the onboard RAID controller? Do you have ICHxR southbridge (chipset) ?

If you do, you can use Intel MatrixRAID, which is the best onboard RAID there is.
a c 126 G Storage
November 4, 2009 10:50:36 AM

That's really too bad.

Is RAID worth it to you? You would get 10 times better performance with an SSD like Intel X25-M 80GB G2. Unless you truely need more space, it would be about the same cost as an additional controller with its own logic CPU. It's not alot of space but enough to hold your operating system and installed applications; it would be faster than any RAID array of HDDs can ever be.

Not even 100 Velociraptors in RAID0 would beat one SSD in terms of boot performance and application launch performance.
November 4, 2009 10:59:31 AM

anyways i invested in 2 hdd the shop guy is atleast good enough to exchange my controller with a better on.about ssd they are very costly( its not worth to me) i will settle with some better card controller with 2 hdd in raid0. thx for all the support u gave.u have good technical skills i appreciate.
a c 126 G Storage
November 4, 2009 12:03:31 PM

Alright good luck.
Hope the new RAID card performs better for you. :) 
November 7, 2009 9:20:44 AM

I am still waitting for new RAID card.

anyways I had 2 questions.

1. I have win vista 32 running, i want to go for win7 32.Can i have a dual boot with RAID 0.

2.Does adding a usb flash drive as "readyboost" will increase the performance either in vista or Win 7.
a c 126 G Storage
November 7, 2009 10:00:48 AM

Yes you can dualboot. Readyboost requires extremely fast USB sticks in order to give a speed advantage. Most USB sticks are fast with MB/s but slow with IOps so its very hard to tell which USB sticks are fast enough to give a real benefit.

Its the same principle as SSD though, but SSDs have better controllers and alot higher performance.
November 7, 2009 10:18:32 AM

ok thankyou I will do dual boot once i get the new RAID card.

i was looking at OCZ drive which says optimized for Windows® Vista™ Ready Boost.plz advice about this drive.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_...

What is the advantage of short stroke on HDD? how i can do it in RAID 0.plz explain.
a c 126 G Storage
November 7, 2009 10:31:33 AM

The OCZ drive looks fine. Short stroking is done by creating a small partition for the operating system at the beginning of the drive.

Short stroking will only work if you do not use the remaining portion of the disks; so only one small partition and the other space is not used. So a C: partition of just 50GB for example.

Its benefit is small though, if you want speed the only option is an SSD; its thousands of times faster for the purpose of a system disk.
November 7, 2009 10:41:24 AM

sub mesa i have been observing that u strongly recomend SSD, i read a lot of articles between ssd and raid 0 finally I went to raid ) as it was size and performance. also many forums said that riad 0 is much better than ssd in cost/performance wht u say..wht is ur pc config. i am curious to know.
a c 126 G Storage
November 7, 2009 10:58:52 AM

These are important for a system drive: random read/write; not MB/s. MB/s is largely irrelevant for a system drive.

RAID0 for a HDD will at the very best circumstances double the performance of the HDD; but even 1000 Velociraptors in RAID0 would not beat one SSD in these kind of benchmarks. So its clear what choice is better for the purpose of a system drive.
November 7, 2009 11:07:22 AM

ok good now i understand.....thx
does adding a ready boost usb drive increase RAID0 setup like mine?

wht about ur pc configuration.......????
a c 126 G Storage
November 7, 2009 11:13:14 AM

Most of my PCs don't have local harddisks; they boot from the network and all storage is in one central PC which act as NAS (Network Attached Storage) and SAN (Storage Area Network).

I use both iSCSI, NFS and CIFS as protocols and run mainly Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows. I use a separate NAS server as backup, which i don't use only in case of a problem of the primary fileserver. Both fileservers run FreeBSD UNIX operating system.

The NAS/SAN server uses both harddisks in RAID-Z or RAID5 configuration using ZFS, and use multiple SSDs as cache device.

This is an advanced configuration, only recommended to those who have the patience of setting up such exotic configuration. It does suit my (extremely high) demands for storage though.
November 7, 2009 11:19:04 AM

excellent just remarable..............wow!!!!

plz tell me does adding a ready boost will make any difference for me????
November 7, 2009 11:22:31 AM

it looks like ur a system/network/data admin.
a c 126 G Storage
November 7, 2009 11:30:39 AM

I don't know if ready boost makes a difference; from what i've heard the USB sticks are not fast enough to really speed up. But maybe that OCZ USB stick you mentioned is fast enough to make a difference.
November 8, 2009 2:50:08 AM

i am still waiting for the card and the shop guy has no idea when it will come, i am just thinking to remove the raid 0 plug my 2 x seagate 7200.12 500 gb hdd on my mother board and live happily, almost from last 15 days i am unable to work on my pc and the performance i was looking for does not seems to be worth enough to break my head further.

i will install win vista on one drive and win 7 on the other, hopefully they should work ok. and the performance should be better than other hdd as the one i have had better benchmarks than other in its category.wht u say????????
November 9, 2009 3:25:11 AM

I received a call from the shop guy saying the new RAID card has arrived.I was excited to see it. But to my surprise when I went there he showed me the new card but it was a pci card. new card but very old model, he got it from there other branch.i got very angry.
I said him i dont need such useless cards. i retunred him the manhattan card.but as the money would not be refunded i had to purchase something, i got a WD 500 gb external HDD. bad experince.
any ways i learned a few things about RAID.Thankyou for ur support.

I had a new problem now, when i connected my 2 segate hdd on SATA port 0 &1 of my mother board and the old hdd on port 2 and the dvd rom on port 3 all of them get detected during boot, but when i try to install vista it does not show me one of the 2 seagte hdd & old HDD. plz adivce.
a c 126 G Storage
November 9, 2009 6:54:49 AM

In your BIOS you should have a setting for SATA transfer mode: IDE, AHCI and RAID. You should put it on AHCI and then boot from the Vista installation cd/dvd. Then you should see the disks and can format them.
November 9, 2009 10:17:54 AM

yes i saw it before , it is disabled, wht is AHCI ?
a c 126 G Storage
November 9, 2009 10:59:23 AM

AHCI = Advanced Host Controller Interface, its the native setting for Serial ATA device that allows hot-plugging and NCQ (Native Command Queueing) support.
November 9, 2009 11:09:24 AM

ok thankyou.

today i will do it and tell u results soon.

does it make difference if the drive is conected as primary slave or secondary master. .

i have conected my drives as follows.

500gb drive on sata port 0 on mb (primary master)
500gb drive on sata port 1 on mb (primary slave)
2500gb drive on sata port 2 on mb (secondary master)
DVD rom on sata port 3 on mb (secondary slave)
November 10, 2009 4:27:08 AM

one thing sub mesa does it make difference in performance with AHCI enabled.I insatlled vista after enableing this. but now it loads AHCI drivers evertime during booth and it take more time during boot.Does it make win run faster after boot-up?
!