Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Search Issue

Last response: in Windows 7
September 1, 2011 6:37:02 PM

Hi,
Today a strange problem occurred in my PC. When i tried to search for Mozilla Firefox in the start menu i couldn't find it. Tried searching for NFS World and ended up the same way. "No items match your search". Items like Steam aren't found.
The main windows files like WMP, Windows Update can be found.

The only thing i did was using Perfect Uninstaller to uninstall a program.

Then i tried to restore my system to an older time. After restarting the restore was not successful :(  . Error Code: 0x8000fff
Is there a link between this and the search :??: 

Please someone help me...

More about : windows search issue

September 1, 2011 6:38:12 PM

Do i have to format my PC ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2011 7:22:15 PM

try opening a command prompt and type chkdsk /f

press y when given the drive cant be locked message and restart your pc it should then check for errors

also try a command prompt and type sfc /scannow

2 spaces between sfc and /
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2011 7:24:40 PM

The two issues could be related, the error 0x8000fff means that your hard drives filing system has become corrupted or even full. You should run the disk checking program by right clicking on the drive icon, select properties, select the tools tab and click the “check now” button.
m
l
September 2, 2011 3:34:07 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
try opening a command prompt and type chkdsk /f

press y when given the drive cant be locked message and restart your pc it should then check for errors

also try a command prompt and type sfc /scannow

2 spaces between sfc and /

Did the second one - SFC (but nothing found/no errors)

Will the 1st one work. Can it repair the files by itself ?
m
l
September 2, 2011 3:37:11 AM

pjmelect said:
The two issues could be related, the error 0x8000fff means that your hard drives filing system has become corrupted or even full. You should run the disk checking program by right clicking on the drive icon, select properties, select the tools tab and click the “check now” button.

Is this a problem linked to my system hardware(HDD) or my system files ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 7:26:06 AM

I don’t think that it is a hardware issue that is causing this problem directly, but you may have memory problems that caused the corruption of the filling system to begin with. You should run the disk check program either the way mcnumpty23 said or the way that I said. If the check disk finds any errors it will fix them automatically or not depending on the options set. To check your memory download memtest86 and run overnight.
m
l
September 2, 2011 7:42:24 AM

I ran memtest and didn't find any errors. probably the culprit should be Perfect uninstaller that removed not only the program but some System files as well
m
l
September 2, 2011 9:13:01 AM

chanuka said:
Hi,
Today a strange problem occurred in my PC. When i tried to search for Mozilla Firefox in the start menu i couldn't find it. Tried searching for NFS World and ended up the same way. "No items match your search". Items like Steam aren't found.
The main windows files like WMP, Windows Update can be found.

The only thing i did was using Perfect Uninstaller to uninstall a program.

Then i tried to restore my system to an older time. After restarting the restore was not successful :(  . Error Code: 0x8000fff
Is there a link between this and the search :??: 

Please someone help me...

Such error basically refers to he physical memory issues. You need restore or correct the problem from command prompt. Follow this steps:

* Click on start menu.
* Then go to run command.
* Type cmd without quotes and hit enter.
* Type the command bcdedit /deletevalue removememory in the text field.

This will restore the value to default and adjust the physical memory accordingly. Check it out in the task manager.

Perform a system restore. This shall make your system to work properly as it used to before depending on the date that is used to function properly. Follow these steps:

1) Go to the start menu and click on all programs.
2) Select accessories option.
3) Then go to the system tools.
4) Select system restore.
5) Assign the date at which it used to work properly.
6) The system will be restored back to the that particular day when it functioned well.

James
Killslow
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2011 9:40:27 AM

chanuka said:
Did the second one - SFC (but nothing found/no errors)

Will the 1st one work. Can it repair the files by itself ?

yes it can repair file system errors
m
l
September 3, 2011 3:16:11 AM

jamesdean1,
I did a system restore and then the error came up.
I searched this error and found that i's a corruption of system files.
m
l
!