Tuner with Component (YCbCr) input?

Plain Old Me

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Hey,
I am looking for a tuner for my new build. First off, I need something that will pick up HDTV from a cable/satellite box, or preferably just from a wall jack. I also want something that will have a component YCbCr input as well. An FM tuner is a plus. I cannot seem to find anything with the component input though. Anyone have any ideas?

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
The component input can be handled by your graphics card...If I recall that s-video looking port on your gfx card is an analogue input, there should be an adapter that breaks-out into component.

Cant recall for certain, but from what I remember there arent any digital hdtv tuners because cable companies/satellite have different encryption, though you may be able to snag one with a cablecard reader in it. Logically it would make sense such a product would handle hdtv as well, but I dont think there is one as of yet. However, i'm fairly certain there is a tuner that can handle cable cards.

Plain Old Me

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that have component outputs? I am looking for something that can take a game system's component video out and put that through my PC onto a monitor, as well as include a HDTV tuner.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Dont bother with that. Just get a vga output for your game system, i'm using one for my xbox 360 to my 22"sammy. If you go through your gfx card it will LAG ALOT for your movement. Really, just get a vga cord for your game system, cheaper the better. I got one with a optical out and plugged it into my logitech optical in. I've tried using my gfx card's component in, and while it displays the console shiz, it doesnt respond with your controller, i'm talking up to 5 seconds of lag between movement input and actual movement. Always go directly to moniter from console if you want to use a pc monitor!

Consider yourself corrected, it has component inputs.

Plain Old Me

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

This looks like the best solution, but where can I find one in the US?

If the component input does not work well, I can always go for a VGA out too...