Sign in with
Your question

Am I the only one with a cool 4850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2008 1:55:00 PM

so in my wonderful Antec 900 case with only the 4 fans that came with it (2 induction 120mm in the front, 1 exhaust 120mm in the back, 1 exhaust 200mm on the top) all on low speed, my brand-new msi-made 4850 adjusted to have 50% fanspeed (which makes it only barely audible over the other 4 mostly quiet fans), I get ~42c no load, ~65c load. Oh, and that's with it o'c to ~675/1080.

Am I the only one not having any serious temp issues with the stock cooler?

More about : cool 4850

July 19, 2008 2:04:41 PM

I wouldnt call 65c At load with an Overclock and the fan on half speed an issue i would call it bloody good.

mactronix
July 19, 2008 2:32:09 PM

lol. im at idle with this fan i get something around 70c. while at load it goes to 80c.
with my ati4850. but i aint complaining. coz tho it is running hot. he is delivering good fps for me. :) 

beside, tonight ill change the stock cooler.
Related resources
July 19, 2008 2:51:53 PM

i was originally going to get one of those pretty artic accelero s1 (or whatever they're called), even ordered it from case-mod.com, but those bastards haven't shipped it yet (ordered it about 2pm on Tuesday). i'm considering calling monday and saying forget it, i'm fine as is.
July 19, 2008 3:28:43 PM

well, since the fan speed is around 50% then it should do the trick. but if you want to push ur oc. then i think you shouldnt cancel that cooler. btw, that is the same cooler ill fit tonight. :)  just waiting for my pc to finish the damn simulation which is running for more than 10 hrs now. argggg
July 19, 2008 4:56:24 PM

those temps are cooler than mine with fan at about the same level.

My OC was slightly higher 685/1150.

my case has quite a bit less airflow. I'll probably add a fan blowing on the card, next time I open the case back up.

When I did the auto tune at with the fan at the stock 27%, It got to the mid 90s
July 19, 2008 5:08:37 PM

50% is WAY too loud, i keep mine at 40% when gaming, and 15% at idle.

Anyone experimented with reapplying thermal paste to the stock cooler?
July 19, 2008 5:44:53 PM

Dopekitten said:
Rafer, cancel your order, read this:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Even though that's in reference to the 4870, the 4850 isn't that much cooler by default. Get the newer Accerlero cooler, the Twin Turbo one or whatever.

if u read it, the problem is not the gpu. but the rams. and as u seen, 4870 are GDDR5. while the 4850 is GDDR3 rams. n honestly, i seen many pple happy with the Accelero using the 4850.
July 19, 2008 5:46:28 PM

redoing the thermal paste sounds like a good idea.

nightwolf: out of curiosity, what simulation have you been doing?
July 19, 2008 5:51:20 PM

skittle said:
50% is WAY too loud, i keep mine at 40% when gaming, and 15% at idle.

Anyone experimented with reapplying thermal paste to the stock cooler?

eww..

50% too loud, silly man that's what headphones are for...

the cooler the better...

I am also interested if re-applying different thermal paste makes much difference?
July 19, 2008 5:57:21 PM

people reported drop of 10c+/- just by reapplying themral paste to that 4850.

rafer said:
redoing the thermal paste sounds like a
good idea.

nightwolf: out of curiosity, what simulation have you been doing?

it is CST, used for antenna (microwave structures) design simulations. (tho it finished, ill apply the cooler tommorw, it is 2AM now. lol)
July 19, 2008 6:03:56 PM

sounds fascinating - though way beyond me.

i'll post a new topic asking about reapplying the thermal paste.
July 19, 2008 6:37:55 PM

I am ready to order a 4850 but it still floors me to read all of these posts. You got to ask yourself, "If so many are making mods to the fan speed and paste the mfgr. must have missed something most customers want." If you ask me, that something is "peace of mind" - long life and good performance." I am wondering if a fan speed mod of 40% will cause the fan to wear out 1 year sooner than if you just ran it auto (~10%)? Regardless, congratulations on solving these issues - enjoy your new GPUs and thanks for these posts.
July 19, 2008 6:48:00 PM

jthorn said:
I am ready to order a 4850 but it still floors me to read all of these posts. You got to ask yourself, "If so many are making mods to the fan speed and paste the mfgr. must have missed something most customers want." If you ask me, that something is "peace of mind" - long life and good performance." I am wondering if a fan speed mod of 40% will cause the fan to wear out 1 year sooner than if you just ran it auto (~10%)? Regardless, congratulations on solving these issues - enjoy your new GPUs and thanks for these posts.

well the card is already tested w/ the stock speed so in other words it runs fine stock, they are built to withstand such heat, which few ppl seem to understand, they are not CPU's ppl, they have an amzing tolerance for heat.

You could run it faster than 50%, and it will probably last longer than the warranty, lol...
July 19, 2008 6:59:21 PM

agreed. the high temps aren't a serious issue - i just felt like keeping it a little cooler and have no problem with the (what i feel is minimal) noise increase of having the fan consistently at 50%.
July 19, 2008 7:32:03 PM

rafer said:
agreed. the high temps aren't a serious issue - i just felt like keeping it a little cooler and have no problem with the (what i feel is minimal) noise increase of having the fan consistently at 50%.

see the problem w/ ppl like us, we always feel that it sin;t good enough, the reality sadly enough is always far from what we do, some people are just so fascinated w/ performance, that they don't really listen to that little voice in the back of their head called reason... :pfff: 
July 19, 2008 7:43:46 PM

The 4XXX cards are not inherently hot. ATI just runs the fans as slow as they can(trying to shake that hair blower reputation).

On the 4870 they seem to want to keep it at 80-82load. Thats not going to hurt the card.

July 20, 2008 10:45:23 AM

Quote:
50% too loud, silly man that's what headphones are for...

the cooler the better...

Yeah i agree whats the big deal with how load it gets surely if your playing games (when the fan will be running fast) then you'll have a headset on or atleast some sound to drown out the noise?
!