Sign in with
Your question

Help me rate this computer build please.

Last response: in Components
August 21, 2008 5:04:31 AM

(I appologize if this is the wrong place to put this, I couldn't figure out a spot it would belong on these boards)

Hi, I'm shopping for a computer at the moment, I do intend to buy one from a manufacturer despite the general oppinion on these boards that doing so is foolish. I'll be using this one for a while and plan to learn how to build computers before I need a new one and build that one. At any rate I need help with this one since I'm not familiar with some of the hardware that is in this offer from Falcon Northwest.

-----------
TALON:

TJ-04 - Black Anodized

Silverstone 750Watt Strider - Modular

Asus P5E Deluxe

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz

Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU LED

8GB (4X2GB) 800MHZ DDR2

ATI HD-4870 512MB DDR5

Integrated On-Board Audio

No Raid

WD 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache

Lite-On 20X DVD+-RW W/Lightscribe

No Floppy Drive

Windows Vista Home Premium - 64 Bit

1 Year - Parts and Labor

System Price: $ 2,330.09

Price with UPS Ground $ 2,453.09

---------

Once again I realize this price is high because i'm having it built, I'm only really interested in oppinions on these parts individually and as part of the whole.

I intend to use the computer almost exclusively for PC gaming. Fallout and Warhammer are what I currently have planned though I'm sure I'll find more. (Not games like Crysis I wouldn't think)

Thankyou in advance for any relevant and helpful replies I might get to this.

More about : rate computer build

August 21, 2008 11:51:15 AM

Hey... Just a thought-

Do you have a good computer shop in your area? If so, you can buy the parts on the cheap, then pay the guy to assemble them. This way you get the computer you want cheaper, and you still have the warranties on all the parts in the computer. On a side note, you may want to consider springing for another hard drive(two total). You'll have more space, and you'll have a place to store your data, music, videos, without losing it when you reformat, and we all do once in a while.

Overall I like the build, I personally would add a hard drive and have someone put it together if your not confident in doing that. If Skippy the computer guy breaks anything, he owns it, so little to worry about.

Hope this helped
August 21, 2008 12:06:23 PM

I second the computer shop idea.

Related resources
August 21, 2008 12:16:59 PM

change you harddisk to a samsung spinpoint f1 750GB, you need the space and speed. Its pretty cheap too
August 21, 2008 12:29:17 PM

The parts in the Falcon rig are all good, solid parts. They build nice rigs. However, you are really paying a premium dealing with them.

It is not hard at all to build your own. Really, it's not. There are a lot of step by step guides on how to do it. Just google. It's fun, and you have the satisfaction that you saved a ton of money, and gain some good experience.
August 21, 2008 12:43:42 PM

Here's a list of parts from newegg, with a few upgrades

!