Sign in with
Your question

New Hard Drive: OS Install & Speed increase?

Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2009 1:11:30 PM

Two part question:

My rig:
C2Q Q6700
4GB DDR2-1066
1GB HD4670
500W EarthWatts PSU
160GB Samsung HDD 3Gbps (Windows XP x32)
320GB WD HDD 3Gbps (Windows 7 RC x32)
240GB 1.5Gbps (Can't recall manufacturer)

I just bought the following:

640 GB WD Caviar Black
Windows7 x64

Question 1: Installing the new Windows7 onto the new HDD, am I going to notice much of a performance increase compared to the two drives I am currently booting from? I had wanted to go SSD, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money...but if I'm not going to see much of an improvement, maybe I'll return the Caviar Black and wait a few more months.

Question 2: I am going to ditch Windows 7 RC, and once I get all my programs and devices configured, I think I'm going to ditch XP as well. Can I just format the old HDD to delete the OS? How do I do it so the boot screen is updated and/or skipped? Once I get things setup, I don't want the screen that asks me which OS I want to run to be showing up.

thanks!
a c 127 G Storage
November 2, 2009 2:48:22 PM

> am I going to notice much of a performance increase compared to the two drives I am currently booting from?

No, only with SSD.

> Can I just format the old HDD to delete the OS?

Why shouldn't you be able to? Insert CD and install. It'll overwrite any existing data if you re-format.
If you don't want a boot screen, don't install more than one OS. Edit boot.ini to edit the boot screen if you do, you can set the timer to 1 second.
m
l
November 2, 2009 3:00:30 PM

I already have 2 OS installed. I'm planning on installing a THIRD OS to a NEW HDD. What I want to know is how to clean up the boot.ini to eliminate two OS's currently installed.

Anyone else have any comments on possible performance improvements?
m
l
Related resources
!