i am suicical...ep45 dq3 and gigabyte 4870 x2 won't play nice

Veive

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
I am building a new system with a gigabyte ep45 dq3 and a gigabyte 4870 x2. initially, it would not boot at all... so I tried a variety of other cards (including a gtx280 and 9500gt) which both booted up fine.

So it would make sense that the x2 was down. I went to return it, but when the shop tested it, it booted up fine. I brought it back home and it booted fine on my room mates machine. I went to far as to even play 30 mins of spore on it... i think we can take it as a reasonable supposition that the vid card is ok.

so I updated the bios on the dq6, and that helped a little... now at least I got SOME picture from the boot up, but it would still freeze in the middle of the boot (right after it detected the ram)

I have no idea what to do. There are no lights on the 4870 x2, and the board itself works fine with other video cards. I am using a thermaltake 750 watt psu. I have tried swapping out the the cables supplied from the psu, and using the converter to get the 6 pin, but that yields the same result.

can anyone offer any suggestions!?

G

It sounds like your power supply. You would think 750 is enough right? Saddly this card loves juice and I would bet it is your bottleneck. I have been told not to use anything under 1000 watt for this x2 gpu card. If you have a Frys near by pick one up. If it doesnt work bring it back. They have a great return policy. Hope you get it running that is going to be a monster.