1Gb LAN, 100 Mb WAN - why can't get 1Gb speeds?

I have a brand new DELL Precision T3400 workstation (2.6 GHz Duo, 3 Gigs of RAM, 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD) which has a Broadcomm 57xx Gigabit networking controller. My university's WAN is 100 MBits. I often need to transfer big files between comps for data analysis (1..10 Gigs). So I got myself a Dlink Gamer Lounge router and set up a local network. Well, I am only getting standard slow 100 Mbit speeds (~15 megabytes per second). I test this by cutting and pasting a ~400 MByte file from share to share. It takes ~30 seconds to transfer the file over the router. Roughly the same rate as over a USB 2.0 hub.

The Windows built-in performance monitor shows a 10% saturation of the Gigabit speed - consistent with my observations.

Does the fact that the WAN is 100 MB limit the transfer speeds? Is there a way to saturate the transfer speed?
2 answers Last reply
More about speeds
  1. Do all the computers have gigabit nics? If not thats why your speed is slow. It will only transfer at the rate the slowest connection will handle.
  2. I agree ! your router as well should be supporting gigabit(10/100/1000) as well.The WAN side would'nt be an issue in view that you transfer files locally.
Ask a new question

Read More

LAN WAN Networking