Windows XP freezes when recovering from hibernation

When I restart Windows after hibernation it reaches a certain point and
freezes. Pushing the restart button brings up a screen which gives me the
option of "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" or
"Continue with restart"
The first option brings the system up without any further problems, the
second gets me back to the 'freeze' condition.
It seems the restoration data contains some conflict or is corrupted but I
don't know where it is stored or how to analyse it.
Can someone help please?
Noel
4 answers Last reply
More about windows freezes recovering hibernation

    Have you tried disabling Hibernation, rebooting and re-enabling it again?
    You can disable, re-enable through the Control
    Panel->Display->ScreenSaver->Power button->Hibernation Tab.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Noel" <nlipscombe@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > When I restart Windows after hibernation it reaches a certain point and
    > freezes. Pushing the restart button brings up a screen which gives me the
    > option of "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" or
    > "Continue with restart"
    > The first option brings the system up without any further problems, the
    > second gets me back to the 'freeze' condition.
    > It seems the restoration data contains some conflict or is corrupted but I
    > don't know where it is stored or how to analyse it.
    > Can someone help please?
    > Noel

    Thanks Harry but I,m afraid it didn't work. What I did notice however is
    that if I don't switch the power off to the computer it restarts quite
    smoothly from hibernation. Perhaps the hibernation data that is stored can't
    cope with this extra step. Sound logical?
    Noel
    > Have you tried disabling Hibernation, rebooting and re-enabling it again?
    > You can disable, re-enable through the Control
    > Panel->Display->ScreenSaver->Power button->Hibernation Tab.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Noel" <nlipscombe@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    >> When I restart Windows after hibernation it reaches a certain point and
    >> freezes. Pushing the restart button brings up a screen which gives me the
    >> option of "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" or
    >> "Continue with restart"
    >> The first option brings the system up without any further problems, the
    >> second gets me back to the 'freeze' condition.
    >> It seems the restoration data contains some conflict or is corrupted but
    >> I don't know where it is stored or how to analyse it.
    >> Can someone help please?
    >> Noel

    Are you saying that in addition to putting the system into Hibernation Mode
    you also physically switch the computer off? There should be no reason to do
    that. Just place it in Hibernation and it will perform a soft shutdown.

    --

    > Thanks Harry but I,m afraid it didn't work. What I did notice however is
    > that if I don't switch the power off to the computer it restarts quite
    > smoothly from hibernation. Perhaps the hibernation data that is stored
    can't
    > cope with this extra step. Sound logical?
    > Noel
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > > Have you tried disabling Hibernation, rebooting and re-enabling it
    again?
    > > You can disable, re-enable through the Control
    > > Panel->Display->ScreenSaver->Power button->Hibernation Tab.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "Noel" <nlipscombe@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I restart Windows after hibernation it reaches a certain point and
    > >> freezes. Pushing the restart button brings up a screen which gives me
    the
    > >> option of "Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu" or
    > >> "Continue with restart"
    > >> The first option brings the system up without any further problems, the
    > >> second gets me back to the 'freeze' condition.
    > >> It seems the restoration data contains some conflict or is corrupted
    but
    > >> I don't know where it is stored or how to analyse it.
    > >> Can someone help please?
    > >> Noel

    In effect that is what I have been doing. The computer and some other
    devices are connected to an UPS which I power down at night.
    As there is no need to do this I will leave it running. Thanks for your help
    in sorting the problem out.
    Noel

Hibernation Windows XP