CAN I CONNECT AN 8 PIN INTO A 6 PIN?

jam5576

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
I RECENTLY BOUGHT a REAL POWER PRO 750WATTS PSU AND SO FAR IM HAPPY, BUT IM PLANNIN TO CHANGE MY VIDEOCARD FOR 2X 9800 GTX+, AND LATER WILL BUY A NEW MOBO AND CPU, I NEED 4X 6 PIN PCI-E CONNECTORS TO POWER BOTH CARDS AND THE PSU HAS ONLY "2X 6 PIN" AND "2X 8PIN" CAN I FORCE THE 8 PIN CONNECTOR INTO ONE OF THE 6 PIN CARD PLUGS? WILL IT WORK? NOTE: IM NOT TRYING TO USE THE 6 PIN AS AN 8 PIN IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND AND I DONT WANT TO USE THE 6 PIN "Y" ADAPTERS THAT VIDEOCARDS HAVE CAUSE I WONT BE USING THE 12 V RAILS 3 & 4 OF THE PSU FOR MY VIDEOCARDS AND I WILL SATURATE 12V RAIL 1, THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS THE MISSALIGNMENT THE RETENTION CLIP OR SNAP HAS ON THE CONNECTORS!!

LOL, no wonder Cooler Master gets a bad reputation for their PSUs. Those connectors are fixed 8-pin, not 6+2 like in a better brand. Sorry man...
Did you actually pay $150 for a tier 5 PSU when a tier 2 (Corsair 750W) of the same power is $100? If yes, can you still return it?

The good news is it's fixable. Read this user review:

Pros: Bought this to replace TT 600w due to my new setup. Was thinking about supplementary PSU but I don't like too much wires running. Enough connections for everything.

Cons: One nitpicking thing about the PCI-e connector...the 8-pin ones are not 6+2, just 8. I spent about 15 minutes carving off the excessive plastic piece with a box cutter, and voila, 4 PCIe connectors. Also, the PCIe cables are a bit stiff, probably the EMI rings inside them. Be sure to mount your graphic card(s) tight.

Other Thoughts: Q6600@3.6ghz on air (Zalman CNPS9700LED), 4gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer 400mhz@4-4-4-12 2T, 2x WD RaptorX 150gb in RAID0, 500gb Maxtor 7.2k, X-Fi Fatal1ty with IO box, all stuffed on MSI P7N SLI Platinum, inside a CM Stacker!

jam5576

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
yeah i know but unfortunately i live in mexico and even though i like to have top of the line hardware like i know you do, mexico stores sucks they just have the commercial stuff and if you ever get to a sore that has what you want it comes with a price (high for my wallet actually) and buying from a store in the US is useless no shipping to mexico, i use to live in the states but that was back in the 90's

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Jerry-rigging power supplies has brought me nothing but hardship, despair, and sorrow. Perhaps even some serious inconvenience as well.

I would avoid doing so if at all possible.