Strings

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Ok, so i've setup raid 0 for two ssds, but windows 7 doesn't boot up as fast as i'd like since i'm running ssds. I've heard that ide boots much faster than raid since it doesn't have to load the ctrl-i raid bios, but if i change the mode back to ide will it delete my os or mess up something?

SkepticDave

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

I may be wrong, but I think the OP is talking about the IDE or RAID setting in the BIOS...where IDE would be used when drives are used separately.

I would have a hard time believing that IDE would be faster than RAID 0, but as sub mesa said, I'd like to see some benchmarks.

sub mesa

Distinguished
You're probably right and he probably means the added boot time delay for the RAID BIOS to display when he has onboard RAID enabled in the BIOS.

However, selecting IDE or AHCI transfer mode in the BIOS will disable the boot capabilities of onboard RAID; as it will function as SATA controller.

Strings

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Yes, you guys are correct. I was talking about the boot mode. Sorry, I just put together a new computer and am new at this. I just wanted to see if there was a way to speed up my boot time since, after all I'm running ssd's. I guess if I disable the Raid boot mode and enable the IDE boot mode... my ssd's won't work and it might possibly disable my os or corrupt it. If you guys know anyway of speeding up my boot time with ssd's then I'd really appreciate it. I boot up in about 40 seconds (including all the loading menus, msi, dr. mos, and raid menu, and windows startup). I thought I'd be fully booted at 20-25 seconds. :/ My TB hdd is for extra storage.

Storage: 2 SUPER TALENT UltraDrive ME FTM32GX25H 2.5" 32GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD), HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory (with LEDs)
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
GPU: 2 SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X 100269VXL Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card (OC'd)
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-S-B 950W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case