Dell Computers

G

I have no major complaints with the build quality of the machines but the post sales service is dire. I had to involve BBC radio before I got anything done and they STILL screwed up. Full details of the episode are on:

www.junction24.btinternet.co.uk/Dell_Computers.htm

You have been warned!

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Ya, dell support leaves something to be desired. But i love their systems (best OEM IMHO -- that's way too many acronym letters). But i love the cases, i love the way they set up the boxes and i really love how easy it is to stuff more stuff in there (which all are goodies included in one major category, but hey). But i've never had to reinstall mine or do any major work to the OS (although i just installed Win2k on another HD that i put in, i dunno if that counts). I just wish they shipped with McAfee instead of Norton's, but hey, can't be perfect. :)

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

reversi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
well all i got to say is there computers r damn sturdy. I got a P1-166 about 5 years ago(32 mb pc 66 ram, 2 mb video, etc), and up until last year i was running win ME, w/ only a 32mb upgrade, and never reformating(actuall;y it was my parents computer) I inherited it when they got a new old computer. Installed linux. Leave on 24/7. It has very nice cooling. The only bad thing is that it didnt come w/ a modem.
I wouldnt buy a dell now, mainly becuz they (and gateway) only sell intel, and the fact that they cost so much.

The only one with a true post count!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Wow! That sucks! I have to disagree that they're comps are sturdy. My school only buys Dell (have a contract or something), and the comps suck. They break very often, and overall need to be replaced every so often. I have heard of numerous problems with Dell. Never buy a Dell imo- my friend bought a new one over a year ago, and he technically did get to use it till 6 months after the purchase b/c there were so many problems with it.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

dhlucke

Polypheme
What is post sale service? Are you talking about tech support? Your link doesn't work.

I would say it's a toss up. If you get unlucky then you'll be talking to the $7/hr dummy who doesn't know anything that isn't in the manual they ship to you. If you get lucky you'll get a real tech. I had this problem for some reason where my modem just wouldn't work. I called tech support and the guy spent 6 hours with me on the phone trouble shooting everything known to man. From hardware to software we dissected the machine. It finally started to work again although we still don't know what the problem was. I reinstalled windows though and I haven't had that problem since. Nonetheless they're pretty damn good when you get the right person.

Of course you do pay for it. I paid $3000USD for that machine so I better get that kind of help. I would never do that again though since there is nothing they can tell me that I can't figure out by myself or through this forum. Besides that, the money spent is so extreme compared to what you spend if you build a PC yourself. If worst came to worst you could buy a new PC and still be ahead.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

I personally think all OEM's leave somthing lacking. Dell in my opion used to be quite quality with their machines, but it seems that they too have started to dissappoint. All the Oem's put quite a bit of sub par products. Most of the time you select a hd, say 40 gb, and they don't tell you it's only 5400 rpms. Things like that happen quite a bit. Plus there's no love in them. They're put together on an assembly line by people that know nothing about comps, and put no passion in it. And I also wouldn't want to have anyone else set up my OS. The 1st thing I would do if I purchased an OEM is take it apart check out the parts and reformat. I don't want the 90 day trial of Norton Utilities asking me if I want to register, Real One Player Poping up constantly, AOL, or most of the multitudes of programs that the OEM gets $ for putting on the comp. Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Personally I don't want any computer that isn't built with love.

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Yea I have a dell. If I had more time I would build my own. I wish I could have goten a higher quality company to make my computer but We got 10% of the normal dell price because of epp and my Mom's company paid for the remaining half, so I 'm satisfied with what I paid for.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Funny that this post popped back up. A couple days ago I started getting e-mails from Dell regarding my supposed request for tech support. I then have been getting an e-mail regarding that or a survey regarding how their service was. Funny part about the whole thing is that I never asked for tech support, and my warranty expired last year. If I get another e-mail tommorrow I'll call them up and hopefully get them to stop spamming me.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support on Feb 24 2002 3:03PM with a question about your Dell system Dimension XPS. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you and hope we were responsive to your needs.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
orgianl equiment manufacture

or in other big copmanies that make computers like compaq dell gateway just to name a few

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Collective_8472

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2002
i've built my own for a l;ong time, and wioth the exception of an HP box with an asus mobo that's still ticking after 2.5 years, i'll never touch an OEM again.