Multi-Processor games?

G

When we can find the first multi-processor game?
I think the next step is here.
1 proc to display data (3D)
1 proc for the AI
etc...

But... any schedule?

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, the only engine that I know of that support SMP is the Quake 3 engine. And benchmarks show considerable performance with dual processors. But, SMP in the fashion your talking about is hard (dedicating one processor to AI and one for geometry). SMP doesn't work like that and can't (with current designs). AI doesn't even take a considerable hit on processor speed- all the frigin graphics do. But, AI is getting more advanced. AI is more of a software function than it is a hardware function- which basically means a processor directly tailored for AI is a long ways off. The hardest thing for a processor to do (and probably always will be) is geometry and FPU related fuctions.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yea. all ai is is "yes or no" branch type decisions. it can get really complicated, but at its core, it just binary.
Now 3d stuff is a lot of really complicated float numbers, which suck up the processor time.

eh, i'll procrastinate later...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Your're forgetting game physics, character physics and any other physics.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

I know Flight Sim 2k, and Age of Empires 2 support SMP, and I'd guess other Microsoft games do to.

I AM Canadian.

dhlucke

Polypheme
AOE2? That might actually make 10 player games with 200 units each work! Insanity I say....

<font color=red>We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. - Eisenhower</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, it's always been a huge processor hog. And network hog. That's why I stopped playing it. Well, that and finding better games.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?