WIN NT Dial-in

G

I've been playing around with the WIN NT 4.0 Server and currently have a cable connection. The NT Machine is set up with WINGATE and SYGATE running side by side this works great for my 4 PC network at home.

The thing is i want to be able to dial-in to the NT server from my brothers place and be able to access the internet as well with out using the wingate proxy server. Sygate documentation says it is possible,
TechNote: Can others dial-in to share my Internet connection?
Author: SG081500-04-MWNL

This information applies to:

Sygate® Office Network
Sygate® Home Network

Details:

Our software is designed to send and receive from the local network to the Internet only, so the dial-in connection must be to a client computer and not to the server computer.

Currently i have internet access in my brothers place while using the proxy server settings of the wingate proxy server. But i want it to be like an isp, no proxy settings neccesary anymore

any help will be greatly appreciated

Lawrence

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Our software is designed to send and receive from the local network to the Internet only, so the dial-in connection must be to a client computer and not to the server computer.

According to their technical note Sygate say it is NOT possible. They specifically say the modem must be on a client PC, NOT the server...

I think Windows2000 would get you around this with the Internet/Connection sharing facility...

You could attach the modem to one of your other client PCs, but then you'll be back to Wingate again anyway I think...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I've already tried dialing in to one of the client PC's the thing is since its a win98 machine i cant assign a pool of IP's it should give to the dialing computer it gives an IP add of 192.168.55.3 for the remote pc and 192.168.55.2 for the dial up adapter of the win98 machine. And 192.168.55.* is in a different subnet to my local LAN which is 192.168.1.* hence it cannot ping or see the the WIN NT machine ... is there a way for two different subnets to co exist and see each other in a small LAN?

thanks

Lawrence

G

So i'll have to have 2 NT machines running ?

My set up is as follows

NT Server with 2 NIC's

IP1:192.168.1.1
IP2:Assigned by the cable company
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Win98 Machines
IP: 192.168.1.*
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The Dial_up server assigns the IPS 192.168.2.3-10

when a pc dials up to the server it can ping 192.168.1.1 but cant ping the rest of the LAN.. any idea why this is so?

Lawrence

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
yep,

The Win98 machines have no default gateway.

Set the default gateway of the win98 machines to the nearest nic of the NT server.

Make sure the dial up PC gets a default gateway too.

G

oops i forgot to include that in the info yes all the win98 machines have 192.168.1.1 as their default gateway

G

This is the option under TCP/IP in the network control panel right ? if it is i already enabled it

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Ah - hmm.

IP routing enabled eh. What about RAS services? Are the clients configured for connect to the server or connect as LAN? I _think_ under RAS you can use your server as a DHCP server for the local LAN, and then have the RAS clients assigned an IP address as if they were on the same LAN - got anything about that in the help? Sorry to be oblique but I only run 2K now...

G

tried that already setting the server to assign IP adds with the same subnet as the LAN (192.168.1.*) what happens is when there is a dialup connection the LAN cannot see or ping the NT server anymore. until the dial-in pc disconnects. Any idea why this happens?

I'm not really that well versed with WIN NT everything i've done so far has all been experimental and i havent had any training as to what im doing.

Will switching to Win2K solve my problem?

Thanks for trying to help

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm, you lost me now.

I wouldn't recommend a new OS until I fully follow the problem, and right now I don't really.

What IP address is the dial in PC given when the NT server dissapears?