SSD as a boot drive, Hd for data. Does it work?

khanivore

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello, I am having a new rig put together and ideally I want the following set up: Win 7, 64 bit on an SSD drive, along with all my software (MS Office, Adobe CS3 etc etc). I'd want to put all my data files on a separate hard drive. Is this possible? I keep hearing conflicting advice that windows registry doesn't like it and some software won't even install on an SSD. Is there anyone who can throw light on this? Thanks to you all...

tomatthe

Distinguished
That would work fine and is what the majority of people using SSD's do.

"I keep hearing conflicting advice that windows registry doesn't like it and some software won't even install on an SSD" This isn't the case, you shouldn't have any issues with that setup.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Long as you all ways have it connected it will be fine, its just like working of a permanent usb,

Keep in mind that some Hybrid drives are cheaper than 1 SSD and a separate HDD, depending on what you want to spend, and what data you want.

khanivore

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

powercroat783

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
CANCEL THE i7 HEX CORE!!!!

Trust me it isn't worth it , it would be much better if you ran i7-2600k. With overclocking (and my suggest one of those corsair all internal water coolers) It can run up to WAAAAYYY Faster speeds.

And if by Pair of graphics cards, you mean two, get the ASUS Maximus 4 and two EVGA GTX590 Series with an SLI Bridge (keep in mind the outputs that you need)

And I am making THOSE suggestions only because it would appear You have a Bottomless Budget.

Hey, get SSD(I have Vertex2, before I had WD Velociraptor) and U will see everyday the benefit of that.

I run Chrome with 100-150 open tabs in 3-4 instances running, re-encoding video in background and running office stuff and lite photoshop tasks + some back up soft in the background. I have not seen busy(more than a second) mouse cursor in ages.

Sure, I have lots of tweaks on the system and I gut windows some too, but try running so many tabs at once on regular HDD with fastest SandyBridge CPU and it will stutter for for while here and there.

And I'm running currently on old "now" E6750@2.66 with 5Gig RAM, 2monitors, ATI 5550HD. ! Vertex2 SSD 60GB, 640GB WD, 2x1TB WD HDD, 2TB Seagate HDD all4 SATA + 200+100GB ATA drives(those two wont die...) on Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev3.3 mobo , dual USB wireless adapter, Win7x64 system. No BSOD's fast boot got even faster after I removed Linksys Wireless PCI adapter. Not the fastest gun in the west. I don't play games, but it drove me nuts, when it used to be slower. I build PC's for some friends, even with fastest parts available, so I can tell what is fast PC.

SSD - system, all programs and page file. If it dies - its only system that's lost.
1TBx2 mirror - My Documents, all downloads and work files.
2TB - everything else

Week ago I decided on new PC - originally wanted to wait till feb for new SandyBridge.

People who doesn't have SSD, always have some goofy negative opinions. I know some. I showed them SSD on their PC and most of them use it now.

Get it. Its the best thing u can do for your system. Now they are cheap and much faster than sata2.
U can always return it for full refund, so whats the deal? Right.
Don't take people with out SSD ownership too seriously.

And if u do get some get OCZ,Intel or something that has good name.

"My two cents" (2¢)

And this is how to move it to another drive. "So easy, caveman can do it"

Move Your Libraries
This is a critical step in the way I set up computers. A problem free backup / restore process depends on you having your docs, music, pics, etc. on a drive or partition other than the one Windows 7 is on. Using this method you do not have to worry that some issue (virus, crash, hardware failure, etc) will mean losing your data.
How To Move Windows 7 Libraries
Decide where you want to move these to.
A second disk is your best option but in a single disk system a second partition will do.
Right-click on your User Name in the Start Menu and choose Open.
Select the libraries you wish to move and copy / paste them to the new location.
Pick the stuff you wish to be safe from any problems.
I would do at least: Contacts, Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos.

http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html