Power supply questions from a noob

knottshawk

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I have an a 1750e HP desktop.... how do I know what type of power supply I need to get? I'm planning on getting a 400w supply but I assume they're not generic. I mean, I assume I'll need to buy a specific type of power supply.

Also, is this just a "plug it in and start it up" kind of install? I'm comfortable installing GPU's and RAM....

Thanks!

halister_one

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Doesn't your HP desktop already have a PSU? If it runs fine, there's really no point in replacing it.

If you're upgrading the PSU because you want to upgrade some other system component like the video card, get a PSU from a named brand. Nearly all consumer PSUs have the necessary pins to run any system, so compatibility is a small issue. And yes, installing a PSU is just plugging it in and running it, like ram.

knottshawk

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Well, yes, I'm upgrading the GPU and adding a second HDD. What's a good brand?

Oh also, I assume there's no "limit" on what my motherboard can handle? I mean, I wanna go from 300w to 400 or 450w... is that okay?

knottshawk

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'm looking around at Newegg... they have a field that says "Supports modular cabling: Yes or No"

Do I need that to say yes? I don't want to order one of these and have it not fit my system....

I see ATX, ATX12V.... I'm concerned with size too... I've heard some HP systems use a proprietary power supply. How do I tell what mine needs?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
i could be mistaken but an 8500gt isn't a very powerful gpu and probably wouldn't require a new psu to run it...

but of course i dont have any stats to back that up, just my first thoughts

knottshawk

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'm adding a HDD too... I'm not really debating whether I need a power supply or not... I'm trying to find out which one I need.

How do I tell what my system currently has and what it needs?

ATX? Micro ATX? ATX12v? Pins?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Modular: No, you don't need that feature (essentially customizable cables)

If the mounting holes that hold up your PSU look like this:
09-11-power-supply-mounting-plate.gif

Then it is compatable with ATX, ATX12V, EPS, and EPS12V. If the mounting holes are different you'll need a different form factor (i.e. SFX, TFX, MicroATX), which we'll help you figure out when you get to that point.

halister_one

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
What's the specs of your old PSU? If it looks like a common PSU seen on newegg, chances are it's an ATX or EPS. You should worry over ATX and ATX12V, you should worry on what pins are needed.

An 8500GT is quite a weak video card. Chances are, the current PSU you have might work. HDD doesn't draw a lot of power, but unless we know the specifications of your current PSU, there's not much to say.