MCP61PM-HM cpu fan not working

dayd

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Hi,

I am having a problem with the fan on my MCP61PM-HM and I am hoping someone might be able to help out.
After my son knocked over the PC the CPU fan stopped working, upon opening it I found a loose PCI slot cover was laying in the region of the CPU fan connector, may just be a coincidence but I suspect it may have shorted something out. I have verified the fan itself still work (by plugging it into the main fan connector). but since it is not working when it is connected to the cpu fan connector the PC will not boot. It starts to but then get a "cpu fan not working" warning the shuts down.
Is there an easy way to hard wire the fan and "bypass" this shutdown feature?

Thanks in advance

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I know in my bios there is a setting to disable cpu fan detection, you could look for this in your bios. I have WCing and I know my pump just connects to the third pin (rpm sensor iirc) so there might be something to investigate there. If you want you can try using a paper clip and shorting different parts of the plug.

If the fan works for sure than most likely the cpu fan plug got broken. If what I posted above does not work you may have to rma your mobo.

dayd

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks. I ended up bypassing the CPU fan switch by soldering a jumper across the 1st and 3rd pins. This seemed to make everthing happy. A t least the kids have been in there playing Spore for the last 3 hours without any complaints....