New system help - Dell Inspiron 530?

KidFresh

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Hey guys! (Not sure if this belongs here. If not, feel free to move/delete.)

So I'm in the market for a new home PC after having had used the same one for 7+ yrs. I'm not very hardware savvy.

Right now, I'm not really comfortable in building one but will be doing so shortly for a 2nd PC upon further research.

Would this be a good buy?

Dell Inspiron 530 ($573 incl. tax/shipping)

- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHZ
- Vista® Home Premium Service Pack 1
- 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
- 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
- Intel G33 motherboard
- 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
- Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
- Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
- 350w PSU

Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor ($209)

The Intel Q6600 chip is a bit overkill for my basic computing and DVD viewing needs.

Q's:

- Can you suggest a video card upgrade for occasional gaming and to support a second monitor?

- I read somewhere that Dell systems don't allow overclocking. Is this correct? If so, I'll get a another motherboard, 500w+ PSU, and cooling system later when my 1-yr warranty expires. ATM, I don't know much about OC'ing.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated! I'm open to buy any brands. So far, I've just narrowed it down to this Dell machine. Thanks!

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Have you tried doing a configuration on cyberpowerpc.com? You pick out the parts, it's very easy. They build it for you, and it isn't too much more than retail most of the time.

Let me know if you are comfortable doing something like this, and I could try to outfit you with the best quality parts for the money that they allow.

I came up with;

Coolermaster Centurion 590 w/ 420w PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo e7200
MSI P35 Neo-F
EVGA 9600GT 512mb
2GB DDR2 800 Corsair Value Ram
320GB 7200RPM HDD
Vista Home Premium 32bit
Professional Cable Routing
Standard USB Keyboard and Mouse

$794

With that, you can add loads of Freebies like Halo 2 and Age of Conan.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
#1 - No Need for a New PSU. The Included PSU will handle even something like the 8800GT. The Inspiron 530 with Quad Core Processors come with a good enough PSU.

#2 - If you can swap your Mobo, I would consider building your own. That is the hardest part of the build. However, The Quad Core is a bit overkill for what you are looking at. I would recommend a simpler dual core.

#3 - If looking for a good deal on a Dell, Head over to SlickDeals.Net.
There are lots of good discussions about Dell Deals.

Also, There is not really any need to OC that chip. So you could just order that and get an 8800GT and toss it in.

If you are planing on building your own, starting out with a Dell and then planning on using it for upgrades later is a really, really bad choice.
You might as well just start with your own build from scratch. It's not hard to assemble a PC, not hard at all.

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Yes, I completely agree with everyone else. If you are going to be upgrading your PC in the future, do not use a Dell computer as your base. I work with them everyday at work. Something as simple as adding a new video card is a royal pain in the butt. Dell has there own little way of doing everything. I would suggest building your own PC. Not only is it fun to do, but you will get more bang for your buck.
Side note: Integrated graphics cards suck.... spend a little extra money and get something that is half way decent.

KidFresh

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for your replies!

I really don't know how to nor have the patience to start learning to build right now. I just need a new home system quick coz my 7+yrs. P3 700 / 512mb / Nvidia 32mb / XP is choking badly right now.

Can you suggest a 8800GT to get? There are so many.
Is the SB Audigy SE card I have better than the Dell integrated 7.1? I have Logitech X-530 speakers.