Sign in with
Your question

Raid on server board

Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2009 11:48:00 PM

Heya

Im planing to make raid out of 4 hdds 500 gb wd re3 on Asus Z8PE-D18, Im wondering if I go for Raid0 will I get 2 tb and 2x more speed than I would get normally from 2hdds. If it wont work how can I make it work ? I've seen some youtube vids with 24 SSD raids that work together, so I was hopping to do simmilar think with 4 hdd in raid... thanx and bye.

More about : raid server board

a c 127 G Storage
November 3, 2009 1:01:34 AM

Servers require RAID for redundancy, a server running only RAID0 is most likely not a server.

I fail to see a question though; is your question whether RAID0 will be faster? Depends on your situation. Post some benchmarks to begin with.
November 3, 2009 8:05:20 AM

Em uh sory ! Well what I'm asking for is 4x HDD in RAID0 is it faster than 2HDD in Raid0 ? I was reading this forum yesterday and some1 said that its not which kinda confused me and worried...The rig is not 100% server more like render workstation which gona have 2 external 1tb HDDs as backup and they will be backing data all the time...
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
November 3, 2009 9:00:09 AM

Workstation alright.. cause servers need redundancy for uptime; they cannot afford to be 'down' for 1 minute because of some disk failed.

Regarding your question, yes 4 HDDs in RAID0 should be faster than 2 HDDs in RAID0. Who told you that this wasn't the case, with what arguments?

RAID0 or striping scales linearly in STR figures and moderately in IOps. For example:

1 disk = 100MB/s - 120 IOps
2 disks = 200MB/s - 180 IOps
4 disks = 400MB/s - 280 IOps
8 disks = 800MB/s - 490 IOps

The IOps figures here are estimates, and the STR may also be lower. A good RAID0 setup scales with about 95% - 99% efficiency in STR with the number of disks.

However, less than 5% of all RAID setups are 'proper' and get the most performance out of the theoretical maximum. It also requires your applications, operating system and filesystem to generate enough load, expressed in queue depth. Booting and application loading is always close to a queue depth of just 1, which prevents striping RAIDs from scaling well. Windows is also notorious for its lack of advanced storage. A serious setup in Linux/BSD would get the most benefit from RAID as these systems have proper software design.

With just 4 disks however, you do not need special tuning to get the STR benefit. You do need Vista or higher to prevent stripe misalignment, and you should not use inferior benchmark utilities like HDTune to test your RAID performance. You need benchmarks that operate on the filesystem level. HDTune Pro has a "File benchmark" that can be used for this purpose, and also ATTO, IOmeter, Rankdisk and IOzone are capable of generating proper workloads to test performance.

If you run a standard HDTune benchmark, it may yield false scores which are not much better than a single disk. Many people believe their RAID to underperform because of inferior benchmarks or improperly performed benchmarks.

You're always welcome to post your results though, i'd be happy to comment on it.

Do your applications generate only sequential I/O?
a b G Storage
November 3, 2009 10:40:24 AM

RAID0 is good for throughput but not so much seek times etc

RAID0 doubles performance but requires a good backup strategy

RAID10 is the best blend for most basic servers that require redundancy AND performance
November 3, 2009 11:03:23 AM

Hello
I think I started this topic frong wrong side... :/  Im making workstation for Video Editing,Autocad,Animation,2d/3d work all. I will be working on it and it need to have fast read/write hdd setup so I can write lots of gigs of physical animation etc etc asap. The reason why I'm going for 4x hdd in raid is because I need lots of memory space and its cheaper than SSD also 4 hdd should get me closer to SSD speed right? About Backing UP yes I got 2x 1TB external WD hdds that will be used to back up date, I'll use allsync, im already using it from some time so I hope it will work just fine... The 2TB space Ill divide on to partition 1TB~-CG, 500 GB Windows 7 pro 64, 200 network open HDD and 300 Misc.

I could go for Raid10 but I simple dont have enought money and my case can support only 6 hdds :( 

''Do your applications generate only sequential I/O'' No clue what that mean... :/ 

Also I heard that I have chose somethink size... 1024 or 48 or meybe 16 or somethink like that during RAID setup...can any1 meybe bright it up for me meybe? or just point me to right direction...thanx all for help again !
!