Anandtech: Nehalem - Everything you Need to Know...

Another day - another Nehalem article.

I don't want to get in the 'fire fight' but this week's 'Nehalem' update was Hexus. Last week it was 'i7' and MaximumPC. Before that it was DgiTimes reporting Nehalem 'coming in September'.

Before that - Tom's, and before that Anand. I'm sure I missed a few.

Now that Anand has 'cycled' back to the top are we going to have to go through another two months of this before the damn cpu hits the shelves?

btw - the same goes for Denab.

Cut the hype and marketing and put the chips on sale.

Larrabee wont be out for over a year. Now thats something heheh. Were all grasping for info, and in each article is a glimpse of info. At least we know Deneb and i7 wont change that much before their launches. As for Larrabee? I sure hope it does by then

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
nothing useful in that article

1) tell me about the secret overclocking?

2) tell me about triple channel/dual channel config?

i do not need to know the layout of the cpu - i need to know what it does!

does anyone care if a car has only 4 cylinders if it goes 0 to 100 in 4 seconds! no!

there is better stuff out then that!

Thing is, we care, we want to know. But Intel is playing it smart. I think theyve essentually somewhat left us the enthusiasts behind. I say this for good reason, and good thought. Money. No, not just servers. Sure, the server side will see astounding progress, and i7s sales will do extremely well in the server market. Im talking regular joe. Why oc ? Why make all your cpus oceable? Only need to do that to a few chips, up the price for the priviledge and performance gains by making it oceable. The rest? Nope. Theyre for joe sixpack. He doesnt know anything about ocing, maybe has heard about it, and thinks its cool, but would never take the time, nor the expense like we do. But, wow, this chip ocs itself, and is gauranteed by Intel itself! Will the auto oc be a seller? What do you think? Will then Intel also hold us, the enthusiasts at mindnumbing costs? Again, thats something to think about

Actually, I found the article quite interesting, and if you had actually bothered to read it, you would have realized that it does discuss the self overclocking.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

I was about to give a

"Here Here, lets cut the reports of CPU related articles....this is the CPU section after all, not the CPU section"

But I agree with you...put the chips on the shelves.

EDIT

Still, this is anand, and looking at the article, theyve done their usual great job disecting the core. Definately one of the better if not the best article to date

^It is a very detailed article. Heck it goes into stuff that I learned in class but never liked because it was too boring.

I agree I want the chips out too but we always have to deal with the normal hype and marketing.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3382&p=13

Not only can it enable Turbo mode if all cores are idle but it can also enable Turbo mode if only some of the cores are idle, or if all cores are active but not at full utilization.

nice.......i like it

hannibal

Distinguished
Yes these Anand articles are more for those / us technically orientated persons who likes to know what is behind those benchmark numbers.
That is the strong point of internet. It has a lot of different articles to very different kinds of tastes.
I like Anand "vivised" articles, they give you a picture of what the product is good at (in theory at least) Not everyone has to like it. So far this is the best I have seen in internet so far.

We can see some good numbers when the chip actually is availabe in late 2008 or early 2009... (It all depends on the yealds and how well that chip manages in server market...)
For your gaming rig you have to wait for a while, and it most propably is not worth of it because of the design of this chip. It's so server orientated. (And really good at that field!)

Shaddox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008

Wurd cotton.

Im hoping I was wrong, but it seems the 133 clock can be changed, as well as the multi, so theres hope for ocing Nehalem, and on a grand scale. Itll be different, but doable!!!! So, it looks like Im wrong and we all win!!!

Yesss. Im hearing the same things too. I dont see why not. If the multi's can match up well with the internal clock changes, itll rock. How many times has the ram held back better ocees? If the clock is very adjustable, and can keep stable, this may hold true