Is this a motherboard issue?

reidarmstrong89

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Okay today I bought a 1000W antec power supply and when i plugged it in the computer came on for about half a second then immediately stopped. I'm using a 780i motherboard and with the powersupply connected to it, it is showing that the mobo has power (LEDs on mobo are lit). At first i thought it was a faulty power supply so i went and exchanged it and got the corsair hx 1000w.
The same problem consists. Before i was using a 750w coolermaster and everything worked fine and ever since an attempt to change power supply i cant get anything to power up. Could the antec power supply have fried my mobo?

If the system worked fine and you swapped out the PSU and the unit then will power on with the new PSU but shuts down immediately with the new PSU unit, you most likely have a loose connection. Reconnect all connection/connectors to the MB. Hard drive cables, optical drives, fans, etc. Also reconnect all leads from the PSU, be sure all connectioons are making full contact and grounded properly by plugging in the connectors properly. You might reseat the RAM and video card, you could have knocked them loose when swapping out the PSU. Also, be sure the 4/8 pin 12v power lead from the PSU to the CPU is plugged in. More than likely, you have a loose connection, like a SATA cable or a 4 pin plugged in loosley or backwards.

Yeah, you have a problem if connecting the HD causes the system to fail to boot up. Try a different SATA cable. Then a different HD if necessary and see if the system is stable with new.

covertxt5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
did you happen to drop a screw in the case - do the shake test!

other than that - check your connections - make sure the motherboard is not shorting out.

Second - make sure all your cards are inserted all the way.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Okay this one sounds very familiar:

"While reconnecting everything it powered up, except when PSU is connect to my hard drive, does this mean HDD is fried?"

My first question is, is your PSU modular? If so, make sure that you check the markings on the PSU connectors and read through the manual - because although the connectors seem to look the same, often molex power cables and sata power cables have different power ratings from PSU to peripheral.
I.E. Connect your molex power cables to the molex connectors on your PSU and Sata cables to your 4-pin Sata connectors on your PSU. Generally most PSU's will have the different types of connections colour coded.

I think you will find that what I have written above is the EXACT solution to your problem.

often molex power cables and sata power cables have different power ratings from PSU to peripheral.

Every PSU lead is 12v. Except the 20/24 pin main connector which supplys any other voltage the MB may use. There is absolutely no difference in the 12v power related to a Sata connector and a common 4 pin molex, both supply the same 12v. power. :sarcastic:

OP's MB shuts down when He plugs the HD in. A loose screw, periphal connectors or a loose card have nothing to do to with the problem. The most obvious cause of the system shutdown is a bad hard drive.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
*rolls eyes back at ya ;-P* - The power that is supplied is no different but the cable rating (not power rating as I mistakenly stated) can indeed effect that supply of flow or power from PSU to MOBO.
I am using a thermaltake Toughpower 1200 PSU and if you have any experience building higher powered rigs, then you will know that there are seperate connectors for for SATA and MOLEX cables on the PSU and that using the incorrect connector does matter. They aren't there as a guide for recommended positions, that would defeat the purpose of modular customisation. I've seen first hand building my rig ;-P

Can anyone give me an example of a mobo that uses more than 12V of power on a 20 or 24pin main connector? lol

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Two more pieces of evidence for those in doubt:

1) His rig was working fine with his previous power supply which given the model, was not modular.

2) Funnily enough, when atempting to connect his hard drive up using the new PSU, no joy. I have had the exact same problem and fixed it doing exactly as I said above.

lol I am not guessing here - I'm telling you from first hand experience - I own the same chipset.

Oh, and before I forget I think you will find that not every cable is 12V, most PSU's (including midrange psu's) have a 4V connector as well.

Your PSU is no different than anyone elses. The 4 pin molex as well as the SATA connectors related to your PSU supply the sme 12v power the unit produces. The efing connector type has no effect on the 12v power coming from the connector. As far as your suggestion that you have the answer for OP's problem, you do not. You respomse is actually dumb. How many people use a 4 pin molex to SATA to connect their HD? That connector comes with most MB's and certainly every retail HD I have ever purchased. I assusre you your suggestion as to OP's problem is really pretty dumb. Go to some other site if you are going to give bogus, non informed answers. Now you understand what the leads are hanging off your PSU. All 12v except for the big one. Here look it up.

http://www.answermejesus.com/ask.asp

At least READ the OP's post. The system runs fine EXCEPT when the HD is plugged in. Then the system shuts down. Think again. What does what you are saying have to do with anything. I can hear you now, "mommy, is He right?"

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
lol this is not misguided information dude. I'll repeat:
"Same motherboard in my rig".
"Same issue (EXACT) same issue with my rig".

You very obviously haven't worked with higher end hardware if you think the above answer is 'dumb'.
On the back of the high end modular PSU's there are several connectors (not molex connectors) that are split into different groups. Some for your standard molex, some for your sata connections and some for your PCI-E cables. The connectors for all groups of cables are almost the exact same connector that go in the PSU end.
And to direct the other forum users of this site to 'answermejesus.com' is really quite dumb. How bout directing them to an actual manufacturer with details straight from the horses mouth? Alot like this:

As you can see, different cables require different voltage regulations to maintain a steady flow to the right kind of peripheral.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0178/w0178.asp

If the 'efing' connector type made no difference, then why are there different voltage regulations for different pieces of hardware? lol, take it easy dude, this info is well informed.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Hahaha, dude - he said in his post that his WHOLE machine was working fine with his previous pwer supply, and that the HD stopped working properly with the new PSU? Did you read the post? Dude..... Bah.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Haha ok I see where this is going. How bout a bit of maturity about his ok? I've actually supplied this guy with a solution while you've let your pride (I have no idea why) get in the way. This isn't a forum for c*ck measuring your technical expertise - but rather to help out other fellow enthusiasts. I am quite confident that my solution will fix his problem, but I'm not sure what an IQ test will do for him (or for this thread)?

Try and get back onto the topic or you will just keep on losing credibility.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Haha ok I see where this is going. How bout a bit of maturity about his ok? I've actually supplied this guy with a solution while you've let your pride (I have no idea why) get in the way. This isn't a forum for c*ck measuring your technical expertise - but rather to help out other fellow enthusiasts. I am quite confident that my solution will fix his problem, but I'm not sure what an IQ test will do for him (or for this thread)?

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Ok mate, I will go and 'Speaking' to my credibility lol. Nice english, I think this conversation is over - it's way off topic now.
reidarmstr ong89, take what you can out of this, please disregard all the cr*p.

Haha ok I see where this is going.

Try the links.

How bout a bit of maturity about his ok?

Yiou are calling me dude and you bring my maturity into question. I don't think so. You started the name calling and the feciousness. Go back and check. When your idea about 12v power leads was corrected, you brought your trike.

I've actually supplied this guy with a solution while you've let your pride (I have no idea why) get in the way.

You have no credibility. So my pride is a non issue. Pride to you must mean keeping your sandbox clean. Because you sure don't what you are talking about on this forum. As I pointed out. Should I point out the incorrectness of your assumptions further. A SATA connector and a 4 pin molex supply 'different' 12v power from the PSU. That's what's wrong with your HD? I don't think there is a chance. Admit it 'dude'. You are completly wrong and a troll to boot. This thread was end a week ago. Go back and read Hebert. :lol:

This isn't a forum for c*ck measuring your technical expertise

You have that all figured out with your 12 posts.

-
but rather to help out other fellow enthusiasts. I

And you are wrong, you are not helping. I used a SATA connector from my MB accessories to run 12v power to a SATA drive today.

am quite confident that my solution will fix his problem

Your idea of a solution would not solve an arithmatic problem at pre school level. What you are saying to OP is entirely rubbish.

but I'm not sure what an IQ test will do for him (or for this thread)?

Now your a judge, jury and supreme being? See links Hebert.

:lol: Ok Hebert the troll. :sol:

Hebert. Dewd. You still have your nOObish self online. :lol: I'll watch for you when I need a laugh. :eek:

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Badge - You are sounding like a real tool now. People are going to read your posts and probably not think very much of you. For starters, I believe you initially accused my posts of being dumb. And as for the name calling - humour me and tell me when I called you anything? lol I think it was actually you who started that garbage.
We are talking about connecting sata drives from a PSU not a molex connector. But congratulations on achieving power that way, I'm sure none of us would ever have known that. 'Dude' is commonly used throughout every age group - but I do believe that your display on this thread is a direct demonstration of your level of maturity. So please just let this one go - because your jokes really aren't very funny - 'Herbert The Troll'? You're just makin yourself look bad dude.

When you figure out what you are talking about, I'll listen. Until then, stop trolling and giving out incompotent information.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Ok, sure I'll wait until I figure out what I am 'b'talking about. You still haven't been able to proove that the information is from an incompetent user. Find the information, make a link (not to one of your childish games) and you will have a point. Other than that sorry buddy, you lose today. I'm sure everyone would be thrilled to listen to your expert opinion.

TRENDING THREADS