fr8o

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I have two desktops and a laptop at home that I share data between right now I have 7 1tb SATA drives in a USB enclosure (since the laptop does not have eSATA) that I move between systems with data. I really want to setup a raid 5 solution to keep my data safe, but as I move it between systems it would either need to be a NAS or hardware raid as software would not work when I moved it? Is there a way to do this without spending to much? I thought about building a third computer and using it as a raid box but I am afraid of the OS crashing and taking the array data with it if I do a shared software raid array.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
What is your enclosure for your 7 drives? Or each of them are currently in their own enclosure?
Does your enclosure support RAID?
What are the connections possible to your enclosure?

RAID-5 is a basic setup for safety.

Your choice:
* RAID-5: All 7 drives [6TB]
* RAID-5: 6 drives (one spare) [5TB]
* RAID-6: All 7 drives [5TB] Safe even one HDD crash, Array not compromised

Info OS Crash: Even your OS crash, this does not destroy a RAID. A RAID is like one drive, you can format it, delete files, ... BUT if your Mobo or enclosure break, you must replace it with same thing to rebuild.

fr8o

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I have an 8 SATA bay enclosure which has raid 0 and 1 support. I do not want to lose 4 gigs of space when I fill it thus raid 5, but it would have to be software raid and if I move it to a different computer I do not think software raid will be able to be rebuilt there right? So I need to find something that is either network or USB connected with hardware raid 5 support so I can move it between computers.

sub mesa

Distinguished
I really want to setup a raid 5 solution to keep my data safe
For consumers, the only thing that keeps your data safe is a backup; not onboard RAID5. This may even be more dangerous than not using RAID at all but plain drives. I would say most consumers using RAID lose data more to failures of the RAID itself than due to disk failures.

I do not feel comfortable with the idea consumers who have too little knowledge about RAID thinking their data is safe and coming back in a year with tears in their eyes that all their data is gone while they thought it was safe. USE A BACKUP!

Just my 2 cents. :)

If you would like to invest in a good RAID solution, maybe you should checkout this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-252890_14_0.html#t1781243

gamemaster000

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
+1 sub mesa.

Use a RAID5 setup for the occasional disk failure that could kill a single disk or RAID0 solution. Use a backup to keep the data safe. You consider building a 6-7TB RAID NAS system for your data (freenas?), then use your enclosure for a nice offline backup solution.