Sign in with
Your question

Does it matter? don't see a diff in real world gaming.

Last response: in Overclocking
July 2, 2009 4:29:45 PM

My last two system builds,
1)diablo modified case,evga classified mb,i7 920,6 gb patriot ram,corsair 750 psu, sli 260/216 vc's, v8 cooler

2nd system, e8500,w gigabyte high end mb, 4gigs gskill ram,mascool cooler,corsair 750 psu, 1 xfx 260/216 vc

Question; I built both of these systems with overclocking in mind and through reading the forums was able to oc both system's by a large amount, exect for my fans being louder at higher speeds, I do not see a big advantage to real time oc'ing, I play a lot of games and they seem to work just as good on stock settings, and a lot cooler with less fan noise. Am I missing something except for bragging rights??? Thanks
a c 197 K Overclocking
July 2, 2009 8:28:00 PM

You need a certain amout of CPU speed to keep a video card fed. And upper end CPU's are pretty much fast enough at stock speeds.
a b K Overclocking
July 2, 2009 8:50:30 PM

It has to do with the games you're playing. Most people can't notice the difference between 60 fps, and 200 fps. OC can help you raise the settings on more demanding games (like Crysis) but yeah if you're using something like a 1024x768 monitor that's alot of wasted power :D .
Related resources
a c 131 K Overclocking
July 2, 2009 9:13:59 PM

At a clock rate of 3.0 or better, the vga card is much more important for gaming than the cpu.
At that level, overclocking is good for bragging, but it will not net you as much increase
in FPS as a better vga card will. Today, very few games can make use of more than two cores.
Flight simulator X and supreme commander are exceptions. It is not a trivial matter to code multi threaded programs,
and game vendors will not sell too many games that require quads to run.
I don't see this changing in the next couple of years.

July 3, 2009 2:47:20 AM

Thanks all for your input, forgot my monitor was a 24" Lg smart color, running at 1920x1080 res. I have been building systems for a while and these were my first attemps at oc'ing, built these just for that reason, now I see that just using some decent components and a good vc is working just as good for gaming as my $1.500 dollars(self built) i7 monster. lol on me. Thanks my e8500 works great at a lot lower price.
!