Sign in with
Your question

Best current 24" non-TN LCD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2008 7:17:47 AM

Looking to get a 24" LCD, non-TN since I do photo editing. Gaming also, so a decent response time is a good thing. Don't have a huge budget though, $400-$500 or so.

The Westinghouse L2410NM ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) is something I saw recommended on the forum, though I'm wondering if there's any similar or better LCD's for around the same price (the Westinghouse doesn't have a DVI input).

More about : current lcd

Related resources
July 20, 2008 10:17:52 AM

dell without a doubt all the way imo as said above . you wont regret it
a c 358 U Graphics card
July 20, 2008 5:18:29 PM

$400 - $500 is really low for a non-TN LCD monitor. They generally start at $600 and goes up to $1,300.

The best you can do is the Westinghouse you mentioned or the DoubleSight DS-245W Black 24" which is currently outta stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185005

I personally do not like Westinghouse, and I don't know enough about DoubleSight. Based on the price I would assume they may be using S-PVA panels that did not pass strict minimum quality testing by the likes of Dell, Samsung, HP, NEC, and others for their monitors. Rather than simply throwing away these S-PVA panels, LCD panel manufacturers [Samsung, AOC, Chi Mei, LG-Philips] lowers the price on the "rejects" to maybe "at cost" price or a small loss. Throwing them away would be a total loss. That's just my opinion though.
July 20, 2008 6:07:36 PM

jaguarskx said:
$400 - $500 is really low for a non-TN LCD monitor. They generally start at $600 and goes up to $1,300.

The best you can do is the Westinghouse you mentioned or the DoubleSight DS-245W Black 24" which is currently outta stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185005

I personally do not like Westinghouse, and I don't know enough about DoubleSight. Based on the price I would assume they may be using S-PVA panels that did not pass strict minimum quality testing by the likes of Dell, Samsung, HP, NEC, and others for their monitors. Rather than simply throwing away these S-PVA panels, LCD panel manufacturers [Samsung, AOC, Chi Mei, LG-Philips] lowers the price on the "rejects" to maybe "at cost" price or a small loss. Throwing them away would be a total loss. That's just my opinion though.

Yeah, it looks like the DoubleSight uses Samsung PVA panels. Considering that has a DVI connector and the Westinghouse doesn't, I'd probably go for this one. If I can get it when it's back in stock heh.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2008 11:35:04 PM

I'd go for the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP. Stunning quality, amazing colors, and S-PVA. A bit above your stated budget, but well worth it IMO.
July 20, 2008 11:56:46 PM

cjl said:
I'd go for the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP. Stunning quality, amazing colors, and S-PVA. A bit above your stated budget, but well worth it IMO.

$679 is a bit more than I can swing I think heh. Basically, I've got $560 dollars left over from my summer internship that I can spend. Maybe I can get another $100 scrounged up from somewhere.

I use the Dell 24" LCD's at school - they are indeed hawt. I don't know if the Dell 2407WFP's we have at my university are S-PVA panels or not, but when you're using them for something like Maya, that extra desktop room makes a *huge* difference in productivity. Going back home to my tiny Dell 17" CRT almost makes me cry sometimes lol.
July 21, 2008 12:37:17 AM

I've got a LG L246WP and I love it more than anything else on my computer. I got it a screamin deal on it ($375 @ BB on end of life), but it is absolutely fantastic. I'd look at your local stores for similar deals, you might be surprised with that you find.
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 1:20:49 AM

guy-montag said:
$679 is a bit more than I can swing I think heh. Basically, I've got $560 dollars left over from my summer internship that I can spend. Maybe I can get another $100 scrounged up from somewhere.

I use the Dell 24" LCD's at school - they are indeed hawt. I don't know if the Dell 2407WFP's we have at my university are S-PVA panels or not, but when you're using them for something like Maya, that extra desktop room makes a *huge* difference in productivity. Going back home to my tiny Dell 17" CRT almost makes me cry sometimes lol.

The 2407 is indeed S-PVA. The 2408 is like the 2407 with better colors and a faster response time.
July 21, 2008 2:02:40 AM

cjl said:
The 2407 is indeed S-PVA. The 2408 is like the 2407 with better colors and a faster response time.

That's good, because the 2407's always looked a bit washed out, and there was noticeable ghosting at times :( 
April 24, 2009 2:08:57 AM

so what is the final word, anyone got the high-end DELL monitor?
April 24, 2009 2:20:53 AM

Haha, been a while, but yeah, ended up going with the Dell 2408WFP, love it, it's awesome!
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2009 5:10:53 AM

I have one too - I absolutely love it.
!