E8400 and temps - not sure if I am OK or not...

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Just built my E8400 system tonight. Cleaned both the E8400 and Freezer 7 with rubbing alcohol (just before install), and applied a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU only. I had a hell of a time getting the cooler on (had to press harder than I wanted on the motherboard, it didn't seem to want to cooperate), but it looks like all 4 pins are in flat and locked.

Cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

At idle, the cores are in the high 40's or low 50's, and under load (Prime 95), the low 60's. Room is warm (mid 70's Fahrenheit).

This is with a slight overclock (about 10%) done automatically with the motherboard.

Is this too high?

My main question is the CPU cooler is dynamically controlled, so as soon as its under load, I hear the cooler spool up. Is it possible my high temps at idle are due to the fan spinning as slow as possible, and it doesn't jump much under load because the fan spools up to keep it cool?

Also, does the thermal grease need a week or so to settle in?

Thanks!

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
That's quite high for idle, what's your overclock? Make sure your vcore isn't on automatic; the BIOS is probably supplying too much juice. Set it to the VID (default voltage to run at stock) to start.

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
OK, with 'FAN CONTROL' off in BIOS, I am getting (in a 78 degree bedroom, I hate summer) using CPUID:

-34C 'CPU TEMP' (the first one)
-Low 40C's for Core 0 and Core 1 (more detailed one down the page)

What is the difference between the two?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
its high for a good cooler

its ok for that junk cooler! lol!

freezer is a poor cooler in my opionon for many reason - they do seem a little high.

the pins work great - did you make sure they where all rotated right?

did you install out off the box or in? with push pins the clear divider that speads when the pin is pushed down can catch and hang up

i suggest you remove it, it seems high - you may not have enough compound?

if you use the bb method and did not spread it then wait a few days AS takes along time to flow and wet

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks.

It seems with fan control on, it is keeping things a little on the warm side (which is OK, because the noise is low), so it seems to skew things vs. running the fan at full tilt. Fan max is ~3000RPM and with fan control on, its in the low 1000's.

What should my goal be at idle, and under load?

Am I looking at the CORE 0 and CORE 1 temps, or at the general temp the board gives me?

I installed it with the board installed (really no other way to), and it looks like everything is OK. I will give it a few more days, and if things don't improve, I will reinstall it.