Slow Ghost imaging speed

jwang16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
MSI p45-neo2 - WD 320GB Sata and 400GB sata- Bios set to IDE mode Ghost imaging in same drive or different is 200mb/min. Should I set to achi mode?

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
the IDE vs ACHI mode is dependent on the type of hard drive you have and the OS you are running.

seeing as you are running SATA drives, I'd say go with ATA (if that's possible, it should) if you are running XP and go with ACHI (for Vista and higher)

now this also depends on what mode it was set on originally as well.

As far as the actual imaging, can you give a little more info like is it going to a CD or DVD. Is the drive external or internal. Did you set compression? if so was it high or fast?

The machines I ghost at work can vary in speed from 400-700mb/min. I get around 200 if I have to do it off of my external.

sub mesa

Distinguished
ATA? The three settings are IDE, AHCI and RAID; ATA is not one of them.

200MB/minute is about 3.3MB/s which sounds like its using PIO mode. Focus your energy here; check if Windows is using PIO transfer mode as well. Replace the cable to be sure, make sure DMA mode is enabled in the BIOS. IDE mode should be fine though it shouldn't cause performance problems of this kind.