How to get HDTV signal?

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 22, 2005 3:39:09 PM

I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently have
regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just goes
straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.

If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal? I called
Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was nothing but
a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all sorts of junk I
probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I tried to get him to
give me a solid answer.

More about : hdtv signal

September 22, 2005 5:46:23 PM

Adam Corolla wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently have
> regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just goes
> straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.
>
> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal? I called
> Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was nothing but
> a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all sorts of junk I
> probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I tried to get him to
> give me a solid answer.

What city do you live in? Do they have over the air broadcasts in HDTV?
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 5:55:07 PM

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
news:D 9GdnW2GUIVtcK_eRVn-uQ@rogers.com...
> Adam Corolla wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently
>> have regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just
>> goes straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.
>>
>> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal? I
>> called Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was
>> nothing but a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all
>> sorts of junk I probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I
>> tried to get him to give me a solid answer.
>>
> What city do you live in? Do they have over the air broadcasts in HDTV?

Good question. I will check that out, but probably not.
September 22, 2005 6:54:18 PM

"Adam Corolla" <nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently have
> regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just goes
> straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.
>
> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal? I called
> Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was nothing
> but a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all sorts of junk
> I probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I tried to get him
> to give me a solid answer.

I hooked up my Sharp LC37D5A to Comcast analog cable, and got some digital
channels. Specifically DiscoveryHD, the HD versions of the local channels,
and some music channels. Initially the channel numbering was all mixed up.
For instance, to get cable channel 205, I had to punch in something like
84.1. When I scanned for channels, they all showed up, I just could not
watch them. I have since gotten a cable card, which, it seems to me that
Comcast wishes would go away. Not working right. With the Sharp, you have
to run the cable into both the analog and digital cable inputs. (third input
is digital OTA, which works, but you need a real antenna, and probably a
rotator)

Tam
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 6:54:19 PM

"Tam/WB2TT" <t-tammaru@c0mca$t.net> wrote in message

> "Adam Corolla" <nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote in message
>> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently
>> have regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just
>> goes straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.
>>
>> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal? I
>> called Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was
>> nothing but a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all
>> sorts of junk I probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I
>> tried to get him to give me a solid answer.
>>

> I hooked up my Sharp LC37D5A to Comcast analog cable, and got some digital
> channels. Specifically DiscoveryHD, the HD versions of the local channels,
> and some music channels. Initially the channel numbering was all mixed up.
> For instance, to get cable channel 205, I had to punch in something like
> 84.1. When I scanned for channels, they all showed up, I just could not
> watch them. I have since gotten a cable card, which, it seems to me that
> Comcast wishes would go away. Not working right. With the Sharp, you have
> to run the cable into both the analog and digital cable inputs. (third
> input is digital OTA, which works, but you need a real antenna, and
> probably a rotator)
>
> Tam

Thanks for the info!
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 9:02:34 PM

nospam@nospam03550265902.com (Adam Corolla) wrote in

> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal?

Almost certainly not. While I'm not familiar with the specifics of
Time Warner's system in your area, around here the HD programming
requires a cable box.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous

Bert Hyman wrote:
> nospam@nospam03550265902.com (Adam Corolla) wrote in
>

>>If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal?
>

> Almost certainly not. While I'm not familiar with the specifics of
> Time Warner's system in your area, around here the HD programming
> requires a cable box.

If his TV has a cable card slot, then he can get digital cable if he
rents a cable card from Time Warner. The TV has to have a QAM tuner
where the cable card provides the descramble codes for the encrypted
digital channels.

Cable cards were pushed by the FCC onto cable companies so people
don't have to rent a STB from the cable company. Cable companies are
required by the FCC to provide cable cards. However, there have been
widely reported problems with the first gen cable cards in terms of not
working for some channels or not working at all. The first gen cable
cards also do not support 2 way communication so you lose VOD, PPV.
OTOH, people who have gotten their cable cards to work often report
better picture quality with the cable card compared to the rented STB.
From what I can tell, very few people to date have used cable cards
compared to just renting the HD STB or HD-DVR from the cable company.

The other way to get an HD TV signal depending on where you live is
over the air (OTA) from local digital channels. As always, check
www.antennaweb.org to see what is in your area.

Alan F
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 9:02:35 PM

"Bert Hyman" <bert@iphouse.com> wrote in message
> nospam@nospam03550265902.com (Adam Corolla) wrote in
>
>> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal?
>
> Almost certainly not. While I'm not familiar with the specifics of
> Time Warner's system in your area, around here the HD programming
> requires a cable box.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

Thanks! BTW I am in the TC area also, near Shakopee.

So I'd need a cable box... but I refuse to use a cable box because I can't
use my Tivo with it... Though Time Warner will rent me a HDTD Tivo, for
extra money of course.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:05:46 PM

Adam Corolla wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently have
> regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just goes
> straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.

There are 4 types of TV tuners.... 3 which may appear in a new Sony
HDTV set.

Lets skip satellite Digital tuners because they are external
specialties.

Set should have 1 or 2 Analog tuners... 2 If you have picture in
picture.
Set should have 1 ASTC HD tuner for OTA (Over the Air antenna) to RF
port UHF/VHF
Set may have a QAM Digital Cable tuner (for getting unscrambled
Digital cable
SD & HD local channels) to RF port Cable OR Cable set Top Box

> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal?

Yes, Only if you have a QAM Cable built in digital tuner
These QAM digital channels numbers run from 81.1 to 124.20 with no
TV guide...

I called
> Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was nothing but
> a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all sorts of junk I
> probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I tried to get him to
> give me a solid answer.

There is a lot to learn about Digital TV and all it's nuances.
You can not learn it all in 2 months.....

Also HD Programming content on both OTA antenna & Digital cable
depends on where you live.... & what Cable Co you have...
Not all OTA Digital/HD Stations may or may not be on Cable.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:48:02 PM

> So I'd need a cable box... but I refuse to use a cable box because
> I can't use my Tivo with it... Though Time Warner will rent me a
> HDTD Tivo, for extra money of course.

Well, you can always put up an antenna and watch the local HD
stations "for free".

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 1:41:39 AM

"afiggatt" <afiggatt@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Bert Hyman wrote:
>> nospam@nospam03550265902.com (Adam Corolla) wrote in
>>>If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal?
>>

>> Almost certainly not. While I'm not familiar with the specifics of
>> Time Warner's system in your area, around here the HD programming
>> requires a cable box.
>
> If his TV has a cable card slot, then he can get digital cable if he
> rents a cable card from Time Warner. The TV has to have a QAM tuner where
> the cable card provides the descramble codes for the encrypted digital
> channels.
>
> Cable cards were pushed by the FCC onto cable companies so people don't
> have to rent a STB from the cable company. Cable companies are required by
> the FCC to provide cable cards. However, there have been widely reported
> problems with the first gen cable cards in terms of not working for some
> channels or not working at all. The first gen cable cards also do not
> support 2 way communication so you lose VOD, PPV. OTOH, people who have
> gotten their cable cards to work often report better picture quality with
> the cable card compared to the rented STB. From what I can tell, very few
> people to date have used cable cards compared to just renting the HD STB
> or HD-DVR from the cable company.
>
> The other way to get an HD TV signal depending on where you live is over
> the air (OTA) from local digital channels. As always, check
> www.antennaweb.org to see what is in your area.
>
> Alan F

On most systems, the off-air broadcast stations are not encrypted, and thus,
one does not need a cable card to receive them. This would include ABC,
NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS, and sometimes others depending on the market and
what's carried.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 12:54:25 PM

Adam Corolla wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently have
> regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just goes
> straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.
>
> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal? I called
> Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was nothing but
> a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all sorts of junk I
> probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I tried to get him to
> give me a solid answer.

It's rather likely that there are HD signals on the cable that is
currently in your house, but it's rather unlikely that your TV can
receive them. Some HDTVs have tuners that only operate on standard
analog NTSC signals. Others do come prepared for actual digital signals,
but only for the ATSC signals that arrive over the air.

Most cable companies transmit HDTV using QAM. If your HDTV can receive
QAM signals, then you may well be able to pull them in from the cable
that is now in your house. But most HDTVs don't have QAM receivers.

You can buy an outboard "set top box" that receives QAM. That would
allow you to receive any unscrambled QAM signals that are on your cable.
However, that is usually just the same signals that are available over
the air. Most other signals will be encrypted. An encrypted signal can
only be decrypted by a receiver actually supplied by the cable company.

Finally, keep in mind that there may not be any digital signals on your
cable at all. Since you are not a digital cable subscriber, it is
possible that your cable company is blocking all digital signals from you
before the cable leaves the pole behind your house. I don't think they
do this very often anymore, but it is possible.
September 23, 2005 5:22:01 PM

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:59:01 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
<nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote:

>...Time Warner will rent me a HDTD Tivo, for
>extra money of course.

Here in Cincinnati TW uses the SA 8300 for that purpose which IMO is a
very nice appliance except for the fact that they seem to be having
problems with the HDMI connection. Deal breaker for me since I don't
use component.

I hear it's a sporadic problem depending on the various updates they
push to the box. I am impressed though with my neighbors box.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 5:39:32 PM

afiggatt@adelphia.net (afiggatt) wrote in

> If his TV has a cable card slot, then he can get digital cable if
> he
> rents a cable card from Time Warner. The TV has to have a QAM tuner
> where the cable card provides the descramble codes for the
> encrypted digital channels.

Is the modulation scheme standardized among all cable companies so
that any appropriately equipped HD set will work with any cable
system?

Is the "cable card" needed to decode any digital signal, or just
encrypted programming?

Then, if the cable system is sending unencrypted digital programming
(do they?), can such a set display these channels without the cable
card?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 5:39:33 PM

Bert Hyman wrote:
> afiggatt@adelphia.net (afiggatt) wrote in
>
>> If his TV has a cable card slot, then he can get digital cable if
>> he
>>rents a cable card from Time Warner. The TV has to have a QAM tuner
>>where the cable card provides the descramble codes for the
>>encrypted digital channels.
>
> Is the modulation scheme standardized among all cable companies so
> that any appropriately equipped HD set will work with any cable
> system?

Yes. To the best of my knowledge, all cable companies use QAM.

> Is the "cable card" needed to decode any digital signal, or just
> encrypted programming?

Just encrypted programming.

> Then, if the cable system is sending unencrypted digital programming
> (do they?), can such a set display these channels without the cable
> card?

I haven't looked much into the cable card setup, but I would assume that
the QAM tuner is supplied as part of the cable card itself. If so, the
TV won't pull in any QAM (encrypted or unencrypted) without it.

If the TV has built-in QAM, or if you add it via an external receiver,
then you can pull in the unencrypted QAM without needing anything extra
from the cable company.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 5:39:34 PM

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> I haven't looked much into the cable card setup, but I would assume that
> the QAM tuner is supplied as part of the cable card itself. If so, the TV
> won't pull in any QAM (encrypted or unencrypted) without it.

The cable card is what used to be called a PCMCIA card. Just a bunch of
memory. The QAM tuner is built into the TV.

Tam
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:03:15 PM

"Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:59:01 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
> <nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote:
>
>>...Time Warner will rent me a HDTD Tivo, for
>>extra money of course.
>
> Here in Cincinnati TW uses the SA 8300 for that purpose which IMO is a
> very nice appliance except for the fact that they seem to be having
> problems with the HDMI connection. Deal breaker for me since I don't
> use component.

What is does HDMI stand for again? And why don't you use componant, is
there anything wrong with it?
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:08:07 PM

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Adam Corolla wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking about buying an HDTV with a built-in tuner. I currently
>> have
>> regular cable TV (not digital cable) without a set-top box, it just goes
>> straight into my TV. The cable is provided by Time Warner.
>
> There are 4 types of TV tuners.... 3 which may appear in a new Sony
> HDTV set.
>
> Lets skip satellite Digital tuners because they are external
> specialties.
>
> Set should have 1 or 2 Analog tuners... 2 If you have picture in
> picture.
> Set should have 1 ASTC HD tuner for OTA (Over the Air antenna) to RF
> port UHF/VHF
> Set may have a QAM Digital Cable tuner (for getting unscrambled
> Digital cable
> SD & HD local channels) to RF port Cable OR Cable set Top Box
>

>> If I connect my cable to an HDTV, will I receive an HDTV signal?
>
> Yes, Only if you have a QAM Cable built in digital tuner
> These QAM digital channels numbers run from 81.1 to 124.20 with no
> TV guide...
>
> I called
>> Time Warner about this and they connected me to a "tech" who was nothing
>> but
>> a pushy, non-technical salesperson trying to sell me all sorts of junk I
>> probably don't need. Of course he was evasive when I tried to get him to
>> give me a solid answer.
>
> There is a lot to learn about Digital TV and all it's nuances.
> You can not learn it all in 2 months.....
>
> Also HD Programming content on both OTA antenna & Digital cable
> depends on where you live.... & what Cable Co you have...
> Not all OTA Digital/HD Stations may or may not be on Cable.

Thanks... I an thinking of getting one, it's far from the best but I think
it's probably the best for that price now:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...

Also I would go for the digital cable box and HD DVR from the cable company
as it would only be about 30 bucks a month over what I'm paying now, which
came as a huge surprise.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:39:22 PM

Adam Corolla wrote:

> "Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:59:01 -0500, "Adam Corolla"
> > <nospam@nospam03550265902.com> wrote:
> >
> >>...Time Warner will rent me a HDTD Tivo, for
> >>extra money of course.
> >
> > Here in Cincinnati TW uses the SA 8300 for that purpose which IMO is a
> > very nice appliance except for the fact that they seem to be having
> > problems with the HDMI connection. Deal breaker for me since I don't
> > use component.
>
> What is does HDMI stand for again?

HDMI is High Definition Multimedia Interface

And why don't you use component, is
> there anything wrong with it?

Best HDMI: Carries both HD Digital Video and Digital Audio in HDMI
cable
Requires no Digital to Analog data Conversions (D/A)

2nd best DVI: Carries HD Digital Video only in DVI cable
Requires no (D/A)

3rd Best Component: Carries HD Analog Video Signal only in a
Component Cable
Requires at least 1 Digital to Analog and 1 (A/D) data
Conversions..
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 10:52:36 AM

> Adam Corolla wrote:
>>
>> "Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

>> > Here in Cincinnati TW uses the SA 8300 for that purpose which IMO is a
>> > very nice appliance except for the fact that they seem to be having
>> > problems with the HDMI connection. Deal breaker for me since I don't
>> > use component.
>>
>> What is does HDMI stand for again?
>
> HDMI is High Definition Multimedia Interface
>

> And why don't you use component, is
>> there anything wrong with it?
>

> Best HDMI: Carries both HD Digital Video and Digital Audio in HDMI
> cable
> Requires no Digital to Analog data Conversions (D/A)
>
> 2nd best DVI: Carries HD Digital Video only in DVI cable
> Requires no (D/A)
>
> 3rd Best Component: Carries HD Analog Video Signal only in a
> Component Cable
> Requires at least 1 Digital to Analog and 1 (A/D) data
> Conversions..

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:42:29 PM

Hi,
If you already have a HDTV monitor then you will need to lease/purcahse
a HD Settop from your cable company. The box you get will be SA or
Motorola most of the time.

IF you have a HDTV with DCR( Digital Cable Ready) logo on it, then you
actually already have the settop built in! In that case you will need
to get a CABLE CARD or POD card from the cable company. Even though it
is just a card they will probably come out and plug it in and make sure
it works.

You may need some HDMI or DVI cables to get HD if you don't have
component on the STB. You can get cables from they have good cables
for HDTV and is very good price. Don't blow a wad on the mon$ter .

good luck

--
soupensu, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
!