Deleting operating system

I have installed Windows XP home edition on my computer by I had Windows 98
on it before. I have very little space on my computer, and I think it is
because Win 98 is still installed. Does anyone know how I can delete the
other operating system, and just leave XP on so I can free up more space.
3 answers Last reply
More about deleting operating system

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Brian" wrote:

    | I have installed Windows XP home edition on my computer by I had Windows 98
    | on it before. I have very little space on my computer, and I think it is
    | because Win 98 is still installed. Does anyone know how I can delete the
    | other operating system, and just leave XP on so I can free up more space.

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:46:55 -0700, "Brian"
    <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I have installed Windows XP home edition on my computer by I had Windows 98
    > on it before. I have very little space on my computer, and I think it is
    > because Win 98 is still installed. Does anyone know how I can delete the
    > other operating system, and just leave XP on so I can free up more space.

    There are two options for you:
    a. Delete the partition containing Windows 98, then adjust
    your boot.ini file to reflect the removal of Windows 98.
    b. If you elected to keep the Windows 98 files on the HD when you
    upgraded to XP, go into Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs and
    uninstall the Windows 98 files from the HD.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that conversations may be kept in order

    Better yet, add a second hdd - relatively cheap solution - then either
    re-install XP onto the new hdd, else clear out ALL your datafiles to the new
    drive, leaving just the OS and prog files on C:
    ..
    If your existing hdd space is compromised so much that the relatively
    miserly amount freed up by cleaning out W98 makes a difference, you are
    already courting trouble. XP needs hdd space to work, as do applications.

    "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed Windows XP home edition on my computer by I had Windows 98
    > on it before. I have very little space on my computer, and I think it is
    > because Win 98 is still installed. Does anyone know how I can delete the
    > other operating system, and just leave XP on so I can free up more space.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP