Sign in with
Your question

4870 X2 review tomorrow @ Guru 3D?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 20, 2008 8:52:37 PM

awesome, but when is the standard model coming out? I heard like maybe ad the end of this week, and then modified versions in aug idk
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 12:46:25 PM

I feel sorry for you. Waiting for a card that can run Crysis? How long you been waiting now? And who knows when youll actually get to be able to play that game. Oh well, theres always next year for Crysis heheh
July 21, 2008 5:21:10 PM

Quote:
until ATI could make their card run Crysis properly.. i wouldnt care one bit about their cards

Your having a laugh ain't ya? my 4870 does all on dx9 high 1400x900 with 4xaa averaging 30+fps. What more do you want?
July 21, 2008 7:45:56 PM

To be honest, I don't find Crysis all that....I have played much better games than that crap...

Anyone wanna join me in a coop game of Silkworm on the Commodore 64?
July 21, 2008 9:10:11 PM

Mid-August for the 4870x2 commercial versions?
July 22, 2008 2:35:36 AM

yup Even I have 1 reserved at my friend's shop:)  can't wait:D 
July 22, 2008 3:00:21 AM

Guru3d had a good review - looks like the performance is bang on where we'd expect it to be.
July 22, 2008 2:49:22 PM

EDIT: hmm... i must have alt-tabbed incorrectly... never mind my comments.

Still, for $500, this card looks NICE!

Hell, a 4870 sounds pretty damned good right about now, especially if the OC potential is as good as some of the rumors I've heard. That will make a really nice upgrade from my ATi 9800 pro :)  Yeah, I'm in the dark ages...
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 4:14:25 PM

Really. Link?
July 22, 2008 4:17:58 PM

LOL do you even see the latest benchmarks? Look at the latest 4870 X2 review:) 

Epic fail:D 

Trust me the 280 GTX is both a waste of money and a waste of time, up until we see the card around 300$. And even then, the 4870 in CrossX scale better in most games:D 

EDIT: You can't say those aren't the latest drivers, since they are reviewing the 4870 X2:) . I smell a fanboy:D  or a 280 GTX owner:D  ;) 
July 22, 2008 4:19:40 PM

Quote:
until ATI could make their card run Crysis properly.. i wouldnt care one bit about their cards

:lol: 
Who cares really? Maybe if they would have done a better job programming the game its wouldnt need brute force to get decent FPS.

And honestly, who gives a crap. There are alot better shooters out there than Crysis. COD4, HL, TFC, blah blah blah, take your pick.

And yeah, I too want a link to this magical page that your talking about.
July 22, 2008 4:22:00 PM

^LOL So I'm not the only 1 that smells a troll :) 

I still think COD4 looks better than Crysis, and whats even funnier that most review sites stated that running Crysis in Med still gives frame problems, and doesn't look better than COD4 at high, which runs like a wet dream:) 
July 22, 2008 4:26:03 PM

LOL what are we arguing, were we arguing the X2 or the fact that the 280 GTX is owned by the GX2:D .

Whats the point of having a card and pwning at a game no1 plays? ok lets see these:D 

There some images of the X2 having no problem beating the 280 GTX in sli:) 

I have more if you want:) 

July 22, 2008 4:50:27 PM

LOL @ the industry..

crysis is the bing, ask concrum, he plays it on nvidea...

If the game were'nt so ****, I'd play it too.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 4:52:08 PM

OK, now that's funny.

Everyone who buys a gaming computer ONLY buys it because of how it runs crysis?

July 22, 2008 4:53:56 PM

THe "industry" isn't the public. I think the public would like to play other games:) 
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 5:04:42 PM

I think the industry caters to the public. That's how you sell :) 
July 22, 2008 5:22:21 PM

cjl said:
I think the industry caters to the public. That's how you sell :) 

yup yup. well said bro
July 22, 2008 6:05:38 PM

Quote:
The industry only cares about the the best engine on the planet right now that runs CRYSIS, thank you.

Best engine, thats funny. I needed a laugh.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 6:07:40 PM

concrum said:
yup yup. well said bro

If you agree with that, why do you think that Cryengine 2 is all that matters? It is known to be partial to Nvidia cards, just like Source is for ATI.
July 22, 2008 6:24:43 PM

Quote:
The industry only cares about the the best engine on the planet right now that runs CRYSIS, thank you.

who care what "industry" thinks....when the public who buys the product dont like the "best engine on the planet."
if the industry shoots after those type of "best engine on the planet", the the industry needs to rethink a few things and make their product work better for games that ppl actually regard higly bout, like COD4 or grid or AoC
July 22, 2008 8:36:16 PM

Quote:
Thats not a big acheivement at all.... no1 really cares about Crysis:D 

LOL! Now that's Gospel!
July 22, 2008 8:54:28 PM

GTX 280 and R700 at 459$, we know who to choose, Concrum, no need you to teach us and stuff.
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2008 11:04:09 PM

Quote:
Well thank you for the pictures:

GTX280 SLI 51.5 fps
4870 X2 (R700) 39.1 fps

thank you

The X2 should be around the same price range as the GTX 280. So, you should compare 4870 quadfire vs GTX280 SLI, and a single 4870X2 vs a single GTX 280.

In other words, of course $900 worth of cards beats $450-$500 worth of cards (in Crysis). However, $500 worth of ATI cards beats $500 worth of Nvidia cards.
July 23, 2008 1:58:19 AM

Quote:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know Concrum is a troll. Check his other nVidia butt munching posts!

Oh, and I would take the Unreal 3 (Gears of War) engine over Crysis anyday. Crysis looks too cartoony to me, much like Far Cry.....

A+ I'd much rather take the Unreal 3 engine:) 
July 24, 2008 7:37:37 AM

:pt1cable:  Well this confusing lol. Crysis lol its lame I have it and its not all that.

I can run that on my Nvidia 7950GX2 at 23fps but still its a game that can not hold my attention for long.

So hard thing now is which card the GTX 280, 9800GX or the 4870X2!

Of course with the card up garde a Mobo and CPU upgradeis needed to run these at there best. So which is the clear Winner? AMD still has no answer to the Intel CPU's so if you go for Vid card and mobo you will have to have your CPU from another stable. Oh I still have an AMD Dual Core 6000 dark ages gear, so you can see why I need to over haul my rig lol

So I'm thinking a E8500 CPU, with one of the new 790i boards Which is Best? If I go with the Radeon card do i have to go with same board or is there a different board for these.? Thanks for the advice.

Thanks to all for their post here,has given me some great info sofar on deciding my new rig.

Ta
July 24, 2008 12:45:17 PM

L1qu1d said:
LOL do you even see the latest benchmarks? Look at the latest 4870 X2 review:) 

http://www.guru3d.com/vga/vga-crysis.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/r700_071308223626/17188.png

Epic fail:D 

Trust me the 280 GTX is both a waste of money and a waste of time, up until we see the card around 300$. And even then, the 4870 in CrossX scale better in most games:D 

EDIT: You can't say those aren't the latest drivers, since they are reviewing the 4870 X2:) . I smell a fanboy:D  or a 280 GTX owner:D  ;) 

L1qu1d said:
LOL what are we arguing, were we arguing the X2 or the fact that the 280 GTX is owned by the GX2:D .

Whats the point of having a card and pwning at a game no1 plays? ok lets see these:D 

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/r700_071308223626/17190.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/r700_071308223626/17187.png

There some images of the X2 having no problem beating the 280 GTX in sli:) 

I have more if you want:) 

I love these benchmarks, it shows just HOW good the 4870x2 with beta drivers really is...

First, in crysis, a single 4870x2 beats a single 280... card vs card, the 280 gets a swift kick in the nuts. That's after ATi came out and said they are disappointed with crysis performane and that we should expect more! I'd say a single 4870x2 will probably get even better, to the point where it can math the 280's in SLI.

Then we see games which are NOT unoptimized Nvidia biased POS. In those games a single 4870x2 DOMINATES over $900 dollars worth of Nvidias best in SLI. We're talking a situation where we'll turn a blind eye to the fact that Nvidia has two cards, and the rig cost twice as much, and they STILL get owned by the better card!

Personally, I always liked Nvidia cards. Especially the 8800 series. But these ATi cards are the future of graphics technology while poor pathetic Nvidia is still living in the past hoping delusional fanboi's like Concrum will continue to buy out of date sub standard cards.

July 24, 2008 1:30:18 PM

well for the xfx 790i yes u can run Ati but u can not run crossfire ( or wat eva it is called ) so ur best bet would be the Msi X48 that has 2 16x and 2 8x for ATi and it is the same as the 790i . DDr3 1600mhz and fsb 1600mhz and its only R2700. so if u want to have more than one Ati card the the MSi X48 its a beautiful mobo
July 26, 2008 9:45:31 PM

lol lol lol , i luv that comment , to compare the 280gtx sli to the beta preview benchies of the 4870x2 and be happy that the only game the nvidicack beats the ati in is the worst programmed one (just look at race driver grid which imo is one of the best coded games out there atm) (oh btw 4870 x2 trounces 280gtx on grid) is sooo funny , so what your saying is your happy to pay £250 ($500) more for 20fps extra!! , and in quadfire mode the 4870x2 will totally own the 280gtx , even the reviewers are shocked and astounded at the ati solution , yet you think you know better! muhaaaaa , you have to of bought an sli board and a 280gtx just before the release of the ati ones! hence the lame attempt at backing the nvidia cards!
July 26, 2008 9:46:59 PM

oh btw the best board for xfire atm is Lanparty UT x48 t2r or t3r! , but im bias as i have one of them :D 
July 26, 2008 10:14:25 PM

samuraiblade said:
lol lol lol , i luv that comment , to compare the 280gtx sli to the beta preview benchies of the 4870x2 and be happy that the only game the nvidicack beats the ati in is the worst programmed one (just look at race driver grid which imo is one of the best coded games out there atm) (oh btw 4870 x2 trounces 280gtx on grid) is sooo funny , so what your saying is your happy to pay £250 ($500) more for 20fps extra!! , and in quadfire mode the 4870x2 will totally own the 280gtx , even the reviewers are shocked and astounded at the ati solution , yet you think you know better! muhaaaaa , you have to of bought an sli board and a 280gtx just before the release of the ati ones! hence the lame attempt at backing the nvidia cards!

I acually love your comments, as its completely contradictory to what 4870x2 type cards are all about.

Games like Grid can be max'ed out by a €150 card, why would someone spend €500 to get 150fps instead of 65fps on those games?

An extra 80fps omg!!!

Point remains that Crysis, although not a great game is the only game that truly needs these cards and from the looks of it the 4870x2 has failed that test.

Its all well and good getting frame rates well into the hundreds in games that are playable at max settings on even the most mainstream cards, the point of these cards is to give you something nobody else has.

If it cant max out the one game that currently needs this type card, then people will just wait for the one that can.

With a HD4870/ GTX 260 you can max out every game besides the one, with AA & AF enabled in full HD.

What purpose does the 4870x2 really serve then?

Not that I will play Crysis again or anything, but the bar has been raised and I know I wont buy a new card above €400 again until one can maxed out Crysis.

Every other game can be maxed out, so whats the point?

( nothing will be as demanding as Crysis in the next 6 months )
July 26, 2008 10:28:02 PM

People saying the Crytek engine being badly programmed are idiots, seriously.

Clearly the Crytek engine is much more complex than anything out now.Its alot more than just graphics you know.

Crysis has some of the most beautiful, organic, photo realistic localations I've ever seen, even compared to real life.

Its way ahead of whats out now and should have been held back 2 years, but then Ati/Nvidia wouldnt be selling so many video cards :D 

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2008 10:29:42 PM

Same with the G280 with that philosophy
July 26, 2008 10:38:01 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Same with the G280 with that philosophy

Of course.

July 26, 2008 10:48:01 PM

Yes, everything should be held back until it is ready.

Where's my minesweeper icon in the meantime...
July 26, 2008 10:58:21 PM

Pc's werent ready were they?

I have seen $17000 rigs not being able to max out the game.

4870x2 is hardly innovation
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2008 11:05:32 PM

Nope just the fastest. I still think theres more to the x2 than we currently know
July 27, 2008 12:19:52 AM

Has anyone noticed that in AoC, 4870x2 is more than 100% faster than a single 4870 :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
I think the same thing was in CoD with 4870 single and 2 in CF.
NVidia eat your heart out!!!
This is an awesome card, too bad i can't afford it :cry: 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2008 2:28:23 AM

what people don't get about crysis... is yes... it may or may not be poorly coded... but it IS the game to conquer... if its conquered... then you know your card can handle anything... and most likely anything to come... its not JUST crysis... its about being able to more easily decide which card is more future proof-able cause for me... i'd rather get a 500 $ card and keep it for 2 - 3 years ... then getting a 200 $ card over 3 years... first you don't have to worry about upgrading... and second you save money...
July 27, 2008 2:32:14 AM

Crysis is not poorly coded and it has a highly tweakable and modable engine - if you don't like your performance you can get one of numerous mods which will make it run better at a minimal IQ cost

www.crymod.com

Anyways, whether people care about conquering Crysis or not - there is always high quality anti-aliasing modes which will strap a GPU for performance, and that is what these newer generations of cards really offer over the old gen; actual usable high quality antialiasing performance.
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2008 7:21:20 AM

Thats just it OTP. To me thats far more important and desirable than 1 game. The only thing thatd make me desire/drive me nuts, about not playing any game , is if thats THE game I like the most. And it isnt for me. We havnt seen the last of performance come from the x2, and to me, I think Id sound stupid if I went around saying "but it can play Crysis" Thats not what gaming is to me, itd be like saying "it can play WoW", and thats all I play. Crysis will be conquered, and when it happens, itll be more of a yawner than something great
July 27, 2008 10:23:42 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Thats just it OTP. To me thats far more important and desirable than 1 game. The only thing thatd make me desire/drive me nuts, about not playing any game , is if thats THE game I like the most. And it isnt for me. We havnt seen the last of performance come from the x2, and to me, I think Id sound stupid if I went around saying "but it can play Crysis" Thats not what gaming is to me, itd be like saying "it can play WoW", and thats all I play. Crysis will be conquered, and when it happens, itll be more of a yawner than something great00

Then they'll release ultra high settings and we're all screwed again :D 
July 27, 2008 10:41:13 AM

dos1986 said:
People saying the Crytek engine being badly programmed are idiots, seriously.

Clearly the Crytek engine is much more complex than anything out now.Its alot more than just graphics you know.

Crysis has some of the most beautiful, organic, photo realistic localations I've ever seen, even compared to real life.

Its way ahead of whats out now and should have been held back 2 years, but then Ati/Nvidia wouldnt be selling so many video cards :D 

Crysis is worst optimalised engine ever. Regardles what hardware you throw at it, FPS increase are minimal.

How good engine looks is one thing, but good optimalisation is important too and from my point of wiew its more important.

July 27, 2008 1:10:58 PM

Oh BTW guess what game is using the Crytek engine. Aion
July 27, 2008 1:26:52 PM

xrodney said:
Crysis is worst optimalised engine ever. Regardles what hardware you throw at it, FPS increase are minimal.

Based on what?

Tech that is just sligthly faster than the last?

Crysis is unmatched in terms of what it offers visually. It's both the best looking game ever, and the game that needs to draw the most amount of things ever. You're constantly in a dense forest covered with gorgeous looking, dense foliage and trees and such; and wherever you turn you can see at least 40-50km openly. That stuff needs to be drawn, they're just not photographs!!

Crysis currently defines the absolute highend in rendering engines and what is possible on the pc.

The same thing happenend with Oblivion and Far Cry to a smaller extent when they were first released. Then 8800GTX and Intel Core 2 Duo came out, and suddenly the "badly coded" games ran perfect.

The technology you are seeing now is not that complex, the way the companies are going on, you would think they had thrown billions and billions at R&D for the tech we have now.But that is not true, yes they are throwing billions at R&D but not at 07/08 tech, that stuff is only the average jump over existing tech, tweaks if you like.

The guys throwing $550 at 4870x2/ Qx9550 etc are in for a huge suprise this time next year and just a bit after ( not like guys in 06 that bought 8800gt, C2D ).

Bottom line the hardware out now is crap compared to the hardware of 2006, of course harware today is not going to max out Crysis when its based on the tech of 06, the 4870x2 is also based on this tech and is not enough for Crysis.2010 will see the new tech, with slight glimpses this and next year.Time will pass and people will find it wasnt badly coded at all, complete opposite infact.
July 27, 2008 1:40:52 PM

Typical toms.

!