New Build...Check temps/voltages pls

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Hey buddies just got an Athlon 64 x2 5600+ 65w edition and a brand new M2N32-Sli Deluxe motherboard for my brother

when i build it and switched it on for the first time it gave me this error "Cpu Changed please enter setup". When I entered Bios the date was already set correctly. does this mean that shop screwed me? ( the asus box was not wraped in plastic when i collected it). Then changed the basic bios setting such as boot order, disabled parallel and serial port (no overclocking everything is set to auto where auto was available) then when i went to the hardware monitor section cpu temp was 50 degrees celcius (temp stated by bios+open case). It occured to me that it is too warm when compared to my other setup that has an Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 65w which runs between 36-40 degrees (temp stated by "Everest" + closed case) and using same motherboard (M2N32-Sli).

So i removed heatsink and cleaned the cpu and reinstalled the heatsink but same thing happend. repeated for several times no luck yet. was getting 45+degrees on startup (temp stated by bios +open case).

then bought Asaka 455 Thermal Paste (thats the only paste availlable at the local shop) tried again for several times, each time cleaning both the heatsink and cpu. I also noticed a scratch on the heatink and two small holes which were visible without any lenses or glasses and also they seem to be in the area which make contact with the cpu. So i filled them with thermal paste and removed the extra thermal paste with an old credit card to get the paste flat with the heatsink. Are these holes effecting the cooling system?. By trial and error i managed to get the cpu running at 37degrees on startup but then it whent up to 50degrees. Then i set the cpu voltage to 1.3000v from auto and at starup i got 35degrees then the temp rose to 45-47degrees in bios (temp stated by bios +open case) and stable itself in those tempratures.

So am i ok with cpu voltage at 1.300v?
should the temp be lower than 45degrees in bios?
updating bios / clear cmos with jumper will lower my temps? maybe some bios settings are kind of overclocking my cpu without knowing ?

All input accepted thanks

PS: To make it clear this is not a cpu upgrade. Its a new system.

The "Cpu Changed please enter setup" happens when a cpu is installed or even reinstalled, maybe the shop used an old cpu to make sure your board was running and the bios up to date before installing the new one. This would cause that. When ever I take my own cpu out it get the same thing when I put it back on an Asus board.

Are these holes effecting the cooling system?
I have to see this, it may be from the factory, The cpu is not the size of the heat spreader so they may have no effect at all.

So am i ok with cpu voltage at 1.300v?
1.3 is the voltage for that cpu. It is lower in windows and idle due to cool'n'quiet. just remember to install the driver for it and set the power settings to "minimal power management"

should the temp be lower than 45degrees in bios?
It depends, In the bios there is NO power savings options on(the cpu clocks down to 1000mhz when idle in windows, it can not do this in the bios.) 50 is more then safe for the cpu

All that clearing the cmos will do is restore the factory defaults. If any changes have been made they will be reset to defaults. You will have to turn off the ports you turned off again.

The voltage and temps will stay the same.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
thanks just ran Memtest for 5:30 hrs no errors and no reboots
so i guess the system is stable.

sometime tommorow i will intsall xp and run 3dmark and prime 95