Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SATA-300 HD not detected by BIOS... Help guys!

Last response: in Storage
November 4, 2009 4:27:53 PM

Hey there, I just put together a new computer and everything is working properly except the hard drive isn't detected in the BIOS...

I am using these parts:

Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, eSATA, RAID
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item...

Hard Drive
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB, SATA-300

SATA DVD Burner
Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)

I don't understand what the problem is... The SATA DVD burner is detected no problem in multiple SATA channels, but the SATA hard drive does not appear when I connect it to any of them.

I have tried:
- using a different SATA cable
- tried different SATA channels on my motherboard
- tried different power cables, ensured they were connected properly

If you would like any more information that might be relevant I would be glad to supply it.

Could this be a faulty hard drive issue? Any ideas? Help is appreciated!

Best solution

a b G Storage
November 4, 2009 4:32:59 PM

Do you have another drive to test in the computer and another computer to test the drive in?
Can you hear the drive spin up at boot?
November 4, 2009 4:52:39 PM

Only other SATA drive I have is the one with the OS on it that I'm using right now to post here, which is 6 or more years old. I'm assuming it's an earlier version of SATA... would this still work for testing?

Don't think the drive is making any noise.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 4, 2009 4:55:42 PM

Yes. This is just to verify that the comp can see the drive on the cable. You don't need to load windows, just get into the bios.
m
l
November 4, 2009 8:10:25 PM

sturm...

I just hooked up my other Western Digital SATA drive from this machine and it was detected right away...
m
l
November 4, 2009 8:50:25 PM

I have a feeling this thing is dead... =/
m
l
November 4, 2009 9:00:22 PM

Check if the bios version of the motherboard supports 1tbyte drives. You can also use a jumper to set the drive to SATA 150
m
l
a b G Storage
November 5, 2009 12:49:43 PM

I'd say you may need to set the jumper on the drive to make SATA 150 compatible.
Either that or you have simply gotten unlucky and bought a bad drive.
Your BIOS should detect it fine, the drive being 1TB has nothing to do with it in your case.
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:47:28 PM

I'll give that a shot tonight. My motherboard should definitely support SATA-300 though... would almost be disappointing if it worked when switched to SATA-150.

Thanks for your responses.
m
l
!