Best cooler for PII 940BE

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I'm gonna get a Phenom II 940 black edition CPU, and I was wondering what recommendations you had for a CPU cooler. I'd like to get it to above 3.5GHz in a black ATX mid tower with 2 120mm fans. Preferably a 140mm fan on the cooler cuz I like a quiet computer. Also don't tell me to get liquid cooling as it's really expensive (and risky I've heard...). I was thinking of the Scythe Zipang (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142954), which has a 140 mm fan blowing on quite a large heatsink. I thought it looked quite good, I was just wondering if you knew about anything that's better than it for the CPU I'm gonna get.

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

wow that's huge! I tell you what, I'll get the CPU and measure my temps. If they're all right (below 50 at load) then I won't bother getting an aftermarket cooler, unless I want to overclock at some point. If they're quite high at load (like my current X2 6000), I'll get that monster of a cooler. I think that would be better actually, than the one I was originally looking at, due to the fan being on the side. This would mean that (if it was designed right) I could have the back case fan and the CPU fan working together (although I'd have to be careful not to put it so that they work against each other!). If it's designed really well then I could maybe even put two 120mm fans on the cooler, and have 3 120 mm fans working together to cool my CPU! Height of cool-ness. I could probably overclock it to 4GHz like that!

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

Well there's quite alot of room if I remove the air duct thingy. Don't know if that will be a detriment to other airflow though. I am still banking on the zipang cause it looks very good, and isn't very tall compared with some others.

bmadd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Also don't tell me to get liquid cooling as it's really expensive (and risky I've heard...).

I have had liquid cooling for over a year and have not had 1 leak or any problems but am at the risk of asking myself if the computer is on. Watercooling is as safe as air cooling if your not an invalid and know what your doing.

i think liquid is best for a high, SOLID oc.

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

Well, it is very very expensive, isn't it?

Plus I'd also need a new case.

xaira

Distinguished
not necessarily, there are many liquid cooling solutions thet snap right into the average case, or some are even fully outside the case with nothing more than tubes going to the case. and ur right, the one i suggested requires the removal of the side airguide

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

Well...I'm still reluctant to get liquid cooling. I think it would be a waste of money, since my overclocking skills probably would only cover the cooling power of a zalman flower! lol. And what if the pump failed right in the middle of a GTAIV mission? I don't like to think....hopefully the new(er) AMD CPUs don't do the same thing as the ancient first athlons did.

bmadd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Althouhg liquid isn't for everyone it is good. Yes it is more expensive but you get what you pay for. I personally used a Zalman 9700 with some arctic 5 na dthat seemsed to do the job for my old 9850 @ 3ghz so that sould cover you 940BE for a modest oc. As you did say
I think it would be a waste of money, since my overclocking skills probably would only cover the cooling power of a zalman flower!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Gee... Since I have no legs below mid-thigh, guess that leaves me out, eh? Watch what you are saying asshole....

bmadd

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007

Thankyou for understanding the post.

Sry for the misunderstanding croc, but i cleary said after it KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. how is having no legs gonna stop you from water cooling anyways??? Perhaps to harsh a word for the situation but it gets the point across

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008

Yeah, people are just too darn sensitive sometimes.