Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Major Help Cooling Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 23, 2008 2:19:24 AM

I just purchased a Q6600. It works great. However, it is getting way too hot. The core temps idling are in the 60s C. I'm using stock cooling with no OC. I really need help. I think that it was getting so hot that it was automatically shutting off (my monitor would go black). I hope I didn't hurt it. I didn't know that it would get that hot at stock speeds.

Anyway does anyone have any tips for cooling it down. Should I buy a better fan or something. I'm using the SompranoRS case. Any tips for ventilation on that. I'm using XP.

Edit: Do I realized that I didn't install Dynamic Energy Saver on my DS3L mobo. Do you think that would help my cooling issues?

More about : major cooling q6600

August 23, 2008 2:57:22 AM

idling at 60c under load you probably are shutting down at load

you might make sure you installed it right and remove and replace the paste

there is pletty of good cpu coolers - you should google and research them

thermal right ultra or umtima
xigmatec
zerotherm
zalman 9500 or 9700

August 23, 2008 3:09:26 AM

dragonsprayer said:
idling at 60c under load you probably are shutting down at load

you might make sure you installed it right and remove and replace the paste

there is pletty of good cpu coolers - you should google and research them

thermal right ultra or umtima
xigmatec
zerotherm
zalman 9500 or 9700


I just reinstalled the heat sink and when I started it back up, it was at 80ish C. I don't know why it is so hot. It def seems like the fan is in place. Should I send the CPU back and get a new one? I ordered it from NewEgg about 4 days ago. I don't see why it is so hot. I haven't overclocked it. Do you think it is just the stock cooling?
Related resources
a c 125 à CPUs
August 23, 2008 3:39:40 AM

To reinstall the heatsink, You NEED new thermal compound. Remove the old stuff from the cpu and heatsink with rubbing alcohol and apply some new stuff(it only takes a bit).
August 23, 2008 4:07:23 AM

nukemaster said:
To reinstall the heatsink, You NEED new thermal compound. Remove the old stuff from the cpu and heatsink with rubbing alcohol and apply some new stuff(it only takes a bit).


Ok, thank you a bunch for the help. I think that I'm going to get another HSF. I did a bit of research on Google and lots of people seem to be having this same problem. The stock cooler just doesn't seem to be working very well.

Wouldn't the alcohol hurt the mobo. Is there a tutorial for removing the old thermal paste?
August 23, 2008 4:53:41 AM

Definitely remove that thermal paste and get new stuff. I bought Arctic Cooling MX-2 (thermal compound), which is great because it doesnt need to settle in. The cooler I bought is the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the retention bracket for it, my Q6600 idles at 35C (overclocked to 3.2ghz), doesn't really go past 50C under load. Hell, at 3.6ghz it barely breaks 60C.
August 23, 2008 5:02:25 AM

doomturkey said:
Definitely remove that thermal paste and get new stuff. I bought Arctic Cooling MX-2 (thermal compound), which is great because it doesnt need to settle in. The cooler I bought is the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the retention bracket for it, my Q6600 idles at 35C (overclocked to 3.2ghz), doesn't really go past 50C under load. Hell, at 3.6ghz it barely breaks 60C.


Did you ever try the stock cooler?

I'm thinking about that cooler. I've read some pretty good reviews of it and the price is hard to beat. I couldn't believe how hot it was. I should have checked it sooner, but I really thought it was a problem in my monitor or video card. Thanks for the help everyone.

How do you spread the alcohol for taking off the old thermal paste? Do you take the CPU out and then wipe it with a cotton ball or something?
August 23, 2008 5:16:54 AM

You want a cloth that doesn't leave fibers or oils. Coffee filters are pretty good for the task.

Use Isopryl Alcohol. The purer the better. It shouldn't hurt components (if the machine is off of course) and it evaporates very quickly.
August 23, 2008 5:36:13 AM

I had my q6600-GO at 3ghz (9x333 1.265V) with the Stock cooler.
Loaded with folding@home 100% load.
It was folding 60-62 degC.
It was 42-44 degC idle. Using Core temp program.
5 deg cooler with real temp program.

What program are you using to read temps?
And what is the cpu voltage?
Do you have good case ventilation ?
Intake and exhaust fans.
I have 1 120mm fan exhausting out the back.
One blowing in from the front.
Adding them brought down the temps 4 degC.
Installed this cooler Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Temps went down another 7degC

Good luck with it.

August 23, 2008 6:57:58 PM

bill1024 said:
I had my q6600-GO at 3ghz (9x333 1.265V) with the Stock cooler.
Loaded with folding@home 100% load.
It was folding 60-62 degC.
It was 42-44 degC idle. Using Core temp program.
5 deg cooler with real temp program.

What program are you using to read temps?
And what is the cpu voltage?
Do you have good case ventilation ?
Intake and exhaust fans.
I have 1 120mm fan exhausting out the back.
One blowing in from the front.
Adding them brought down the temps 4 degC.
Installed this cooler Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Temps went down another 7degC

Good luck with it.


I have one exhaust fan in the back. I don't have a fan in the front. However, even with the case open, the temps are still very high. The CPU doesn't crash with the case open though. I am using HWMonitor which was reccomended to me in a different post. I can check my CPU voltage. I want to make it quick though, because I think my cpu will get hot really quickly and I don't want to damage it.

The Xigmatek looks like a pretty good cooler and is very cheap. However, I heard that it used the same push pins as the stock cooler. Could you tell me how installation was? I hated those push pins so much. Also should I replace the thermal paste with something better? Does this thermal paste do a good job ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )?

I'll check the voltages when I know what a good voltage is (I believe that I can do this with HWMonitor unless there is a better program that I should use).

Thanks for the help so far. Hopefully I can get these CPU temps down. My computer really runs fast with the new CPU.
August 23, 2008 7:16:05 PM

ZeroTherm NV 120

After rebate, $39.99.

I use that on my Q6600, works great. I'm OC 3.2 running prime95 (load on CPU will vary) 55-59C tcase sensor.

I prefer MX-2. No cure time. :D 

August 23, 2008 7:22:15 PM

Grimmy said:
ZeroTherm NV 120

After rebate, $39.99.

I use that on my Q6600, works great. I'm OC 3.2 running prime95 (load on CPU will vary) 55-59C tcase sensor.

I prefer MX-2. No cure time. :D 


Thanks for the thermal paste suggestion.

Just curious what does prime95 mean?

Also my specs are:

GA-EP45-DS3L
8800GTS
500 Watt Ultra Power Supply
SopranoRS case (1 exhaust fan)
Q6600
2GB DDR2 Ram 800MHz
250GB Seagate HD 7200RPM
80GB Samsung HD 7200RPM
August 23, 2008 7:25:05 PM

Prime95 is software app to test CPU/Memory at loads beyond what regular programs would demand. So it makes your CPU run hotter, as well as test for instabilities for OC's or stock.

If you go to the OC forum, and look at the sticky for OC quads, you'll find it there.

Edit:

OC guide
August 23, 2008 7:55:51 PM

I booted up my cpu for a minute to check the voltages. The temperature is insane. I def need a new HSF, but do you think there is another problem also? I mean the cpu cores are in the 80s.

Here is a picture:

This is with stock cooling after reseating it. I couldn't add more thermal paste because I don't have any thermal paste that hasn't expired. The temperatures were about 15C cooler before reseating it (ruining the thermal paste that came with it).
August 23, 2008 8:04:02 PM

Oooph.. don't do that. :lol: 

Problem is, when the chip gets that hot, it can protect itself. Its just the compoents around it will suffer. I remember someone saying the plastic part of the socket melted.

If you really want to be sure you have the stock on correctly, turn the black handles towards the arrow, then lift to remove. Then turn them the opposite. After cleaning the bottom of the HS, and top of the CPU with rubbing alcohol (90% works best) reapply the thermal grease according to its instructions.

Before you place the HS on, check to make sure the black pin is all the way up. Then make sure the white clamps go totally through the hole on the MB. Starting with the pin that may have gave you the most problems, push that one down first (its normally the one closes to the NB HS).

When your done, if you can check the backside of the MB. It should look like:



Edit:

I wouldn't try anymore till you get more thermal grease.

Edit:

:heink:  . o O (what is up with the 12v rail? 2.18v???)
August 23, 2008 8:12:22 PM

Ya, I don't intend to. I just booted it up for 30s to get voltages. Do those voltages look alright?

It was still extremely hot before I reseated it. I think the HSF is also really bad. I'm thinking I should replace that along with the thermal grease and hope that it cools down.

Edit: I don't know anything about voltages, so could someone help me. I didn't mess around with them at all. I just put in the CPU using the picture guide that Intel provided.
August 24, 2008 12:58:09 AM

Grimmy said:


:heink:  . o O (what is up with the 12v rail? 2.18v???)



Is that bad? How do I fix it?

This was taken right after boot up if that helps at all. The computer was running for 45s max.
August 24, 2008 2:16:11 AM

darksied said:
I just reinstalled the heat sink and when I started it back up, it was at 80ish C. I don't know why it is so hot. It def seems like the fan is in place. Should I send the CPU back and get a new one? I ordered it from NewEgg about 4 days ago. I don't see why it is so hot. I haven't overclocked it. Do you think it is just the stock cooling?



your doing something wrong

did you reapply TC? you sure you have enough?

thats really high
August 24, 2008 2:19:14 AM

system i just built is 3.4ghz q6600 - i have never sent a cpu back - i doubt it.

55c max core temp with 1000rpm with xigma cooler - 44-44c core idle

bios shows 48c core temp


you have to install xig cooler right - double install it

install it once with lots of compound to push it into the cracks and then wipe it lightly and reapply it regular


i may have wrote it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-t...


i wrote out how i install thermalright and xig coolers
August 24, 2008 2:43:58 AM

I ran out of Thermal Grease in that last picture. The only reason I even started up my computer, was to get those voltages. Do the voltages look ok to you? I know the temperature is really high. Those were taken right after Windows booted.

I was using bad intel Thermal Grease along with stock cooler. I reseated it a few times. The best i got it down to was in the 58-64C with Intel Cooler. I really think I need an after market one ><.

I'm thinking about getting some MX-2 Thermal Grease and a cooler. Thanks for the link you posted. However, now I'm confused between the different models of Xigmatek coolers (I think I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ). Should I also buy a retention bracket for it? Which one is best for cooling the Q6600 in your opinion?

Also I noticed a tiny cable might be touching the NorthBridge. Would this make a huge difference in temperatures?

Finally, I have no intake fan. I do have an exhaust fan right next to my CPU. Do you think that is enough?
August 24, 2008 3:09:29 AM

your voltage should be 1.44-1.46 at 100% out put with Q6600 at 3.4-3.6ghz

you can run 1.4-1.44 at 3.0-3.4 ghz

if enbable dample or loadline calbration on intel mobo its 1.4875-1.51v

with nvidia the Vdroop is huge you can need as much as 1.6v, there people who cringe when i write this but i ship systems with 1.6v with 65nm cpu's and give 3 year warranty.

typically you see drop at idle and big drip at load as is designed - enabling the dampner or load line cal reduces Vdroop

key is temp 55c is not hot 65c is my max i ship - 65 at full load running for days at full load. to run all 4 cores i run orthos and stablity test (google and down load from pcworld)

i usully run mutli orthos with ram and cpu seperate to tune it.


your temperature not that high with that low voltage if they are the cpu is not touching the cooler.


yes you need lots of fans that is key but still that would not cause your issue - these have 6 fans!



xig cooler

August 24, 2008 3:17:35 AM

dragonsprayer said:
your voltage should be 1.44-1.46 at 100% out put with Q6600 at 3.4-3.6ghz

you can run 1.4-1.44 at 3.0-3.4 ghz

if enbable dample or loadline calbration on intel mobo its 1.4875-1.51v

with nvidia the Vdroop is huge you can need as much as 1.6v, there people who cringe when i write this but i ship systems with 1.6v with 65nm cpu's and give 3 year warranty.

typically you see drop at idle and big drip at load as is designed - enabling the dampner or load line cal reduces Vdroop

key is temp 55c is not hot 65c is my max i ship - 65 at full load running for days at full load. to run all 4 cores i run orthos and stablity test (google and down load from pcworld)

i usully run mutli orthos with ram and cpu seperate to tune it.


your temperature not that high with that low voltage if they are the cpu is not touching the cooler.


The thing is that at the time when I tested it, I wasn't playing a game. I'm pretty sure that it was close to the idle temp. 55-65C seems high for Idle. I do think that a new HSF would help.

I'm using a GA-EP45-DS3L board. I have not tried flashing the bios or configuring it at all. So are my voltages off. I'm trying to just run at the core speed of 2.4GHz. I don't think I understand what you are saying about the voltages. If they are off, then how would I fix them?

I'm thinking about just buying the Xigmatek S-1823, MX-2, and a new intake fan. Do you think this would solve my heat issues?
August 24, 2008 3:50:53 AM

first, its possible the temps are wrong - does the system such down? at load i would expect your close to shut down

the temps seem too high - you sure its installed right? do you see thermal compound on the hsf when you remove it? you need to by arctic silver or mx2 etc


yes the hsf will help if you oc - if not oc-ing with low voltage the stock cooler should run around 40-45c at full load with bad cooling maybe 50c max at full load

flash the mobo! you have a p45 chipset made for 45nm and your running 65nm chip - you may need a flash. research the mobo too, see if it reads wrong.

xig is cheap

i am not sure you have a heat issue, i think you have bios issue. looing at all your temps everything else is inline - it could be a bios issue reading the cpu?

again with xig you got to goop on the TC!

good luck






August 24, 2008 3:58:49 AM

dragonsprayer said:
first, its possible the temps are wrong - does the system such down? at load i would expect your close to shut down

the temps seem too high - you sure its installed right? do you see thermal compound on the hsf when you remove it? you need to by arctic silver or mx2 etc


yes the hsf will help if you oc - if not oc-ing with low voltage the stock cooler should run around 40-45c at full load with bad cooling maybe 50c max at full load

flash the mobo! you have a p45 chipset made for 45nm and your running 65nm chip - you may need a flash. research the mobo too, see if it reads wrong.

xig is cheap

i am not sure you have a heat issue, i think you have bios issue. looing at all your temps everything else is inline - it could be a bios issue reading the cpu?

again with xig you got to goop on the TC!

good luck


I haven't been using MX-2 or AS5. I just used the thermal grease that came with the stock fan. It could be a problem with my BIOS. However, my computer has been shutting down with my side panel on, so I think the readings are accurate. It would explain this shutting down. I think that I will try the Xig and MX-2 and hope that it fixes my heat issue. I might also buy an intake fan for the front of my SopranoRS to try to increase the air flow. Maybe I will also try flashing my Bios, although the info on all the flashes at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L page, don't really seem to be about fixing temperatures. They mainly seem to be about overclocking ram and stuff.

My case is about 8in wide. Do you think this is wide enough to fit the xig?
August 24, 2008 4:00:34 AM

A new heatsink will not solve your problems unless you break your thermal compound habits! :) 

I used to have this NASTY habit of just re-using the thermal grease that was left over on the proc and heat sink when moving to a new board. One day I was struggling to come up with a reason for my poor WOW performance and I found out my old Pentium 4 was running at like 90 something Celsius!! It was throttling itself like crazy to keep from exploding. I went to Fry's and bought some Arctic Silver, applied it according to instructions (after cleaning off the old crud) and it worked awesome from then on.

Thermal grease is a very important component of your computer that can cause big problems if done improperly.
August 24, 2008 4:05:28 AM

chris312 said:
A new heatsink will not solve your problems unless you break your thermal compound habits! :) 

I used to have this NASTY habit of just re-using the thermal grease that was left over on the proc and heat sink when moving to a new board. One day I was struggling to come up with a reason for my poor WOW performance and I found out my old Pentium 4 was running at like 90 something Celsius!! It was throttling itself like crazy to keep from exploding. I went to Fry's and bought some Arctic Silver, applied it according to instructions (after cleaning off the old crud) and it worked awesome from then on.

Thermal grease is a very important component of your computer that can cause big problems if done improperly.


Ok, let me try to explain. I used the thermal grease that came on the bottom of the Intel Stock fan and am 90% sure that i mounted it correctly. The pins were a bit hard to get into the motherboard. I was running my computer and it crashed. I let it cool down and then restarted it and realized that the temps were in the mid 60s with the side panel off (right after start up). The problem seems to be with my heating.

I'm thinking that it is a combination of the bad fan and bad thermal paste that came with my CPU. I did not reuse it after I reseated it (except for 30s to get voltages that someone requested).

Do you think replacing the stock fan/thermal grease would be my temperatures down from the 60s?
August 24, 2008 4:18:32 AM

Even for a quick reseat it's best to reapply the compound. It's designed to seep into the microscopic grooves and ridges of the processor and heatsink and create as solid as possible a connection. When you take it apart it messes it up and it won't work the same again because after you heat up TC it "sets" a bit I think.

I would go grab an $8 container of any well-reviewed thermal compound and reapply your heatsink with it after thoroughly cleaning off the old stock stuff. Rubbing alcohol and coffee filters work great, but go easy on the alcohol. I think that the stock cooler with good paste *should* be good enough for the Q6600. I just checked and my AMD X2 5000+ is idling at 41C with stock cooler applied with Arctic Silver, but that doesn't mean all stock coolers are good enough.

I hope you get it working though! I think Intel processors still throttle when they get too hot so hopefully you will get it all cooled down and see some noticeable performance increases :D 
August 24, 2008 4:23:13 AM

chris312 said:
Even for a quick reseat it's best to reapply the compound. It's designed to seep into the microscopic grooves and ridges of the processor and heatsink and create as solid as possible a connection. When you take it apart it messes it up and it won't work the same again because after you heat up TC it "sets" a bit I think.

I would go grab an $8 container of any well-reviewed thermal compound and reapply your heatsink with it after thoroughly cleaning off the old stock stuff. Rubbing alcohol and coffee filters work great, but go easy on the alcohol. I think that the stock cooler with good paste *should* be good enough for the Q6600. I just checked and my AMD X2 5000+ is idling at 41C with stock cooler applied with Arctic Silver, but that doesn't mean all stock coolers are good enough.

I hope you get it working though! I think Intel processors still throttle when they get too hot so hopefully you will get it all cooled down and see some noticeable performance increases :D 


Ya, I think that it was auto shutting off when it got really hot. This explains why my monitor went blank.

I think I'm going to get that xig cooler. It's very cheap and the performance seems way better than the intel one that came with my processor. I'll also be sure to use good quality thermal paste. Either AS5 or MX-2. Hopefully this will cool down my CPU. I read a few other people that had the same problem with the stock fan. The whole voltage thing confused me, but I think that the v-core seems fine (it seems a bit low actually, which could be b/c it is trying to throttle). Hopefully, the new HSF and Thermal Grease will fix the problem. Thanks for the comment.
August 24, 2008 4:28:59 AM

You're welcome. Glad I could help. I remember how excited I was when I doubled my framerates in Karazhan for the 8 bucks I spent on the Arctic Silver...lol, I have since quit WoW but I will always remember that. :) 
August 24, 2008 4:32:54 AM

chris312 said:
You're welcome. Glad I could help. I remember how excited I was when I doubled my framerates in Karazhan for the 8 bucks I spent on the Arctic Silver...lol, I have since quit WoW but I will always remember that. :) 


Ya, WoW is getting pretty boring. I still play sometimes with friends.

Hopefully the Xig/Thermal Paste will at least cool my CPU down. I was playing Crysis on High and it looked spectacular. I really wish I hadn't done that, now that I know that it was my CPU that was causing the problem. I guess I can't change it. I'm crossing my fingers that the new cooling products work. If not, I guess I could try configuring my Bios further and possibly getting a replacement. I would hate to do that though, especially the last one. I don't think I've ever needed a replacement for anything in the past.
August 24, 2008 4:47:45 AM

Something is just not right here.
The stock cooler is fine for stock speed, and voltage 1.25-1.3v
It even worked ok for an over-clock up to 3ghz.
Clean it, and put new thermal compound.
Have you seen the fan running on the cooler?
Does the heat sink feel hot to the touch?
Check the temp in bios.
Hit the delete key when the computer is first booting up.
Then go to pc-health status see what the cpu temp is there.
Or use the programs core temp, or real temp.

The Xigmatek was easy to install. I bought the back brace.
But I did not use it. The push pins worked good.
Next time I pull the board out I will put the brace on.
Put the fan on last, after you mount heatsink to the board.
Have a band-aid handy too, you will need it.
August 24, 2008 4:57:36 AM

bill1024 said:
Something is just not right here.
The stock cooler is fine for stock speed, and voltage 1.25-1.3v
It even worked ok for an over-clock up to 3ghz.
Clean it, and put new thermal compound.
Have you seen the fan running on the cooler?
Does the heat sink feel hot to the touch?
Check the temp in bios.
Hit the delete key when the computer is first booting up.
Then go to pc-health status see what the cpu temp is there.
Or use the programs core temp, or real temp.

The Xigmatek was easy to install. I bought the back brace.
But I did not use it. The push pins worked good.
Next time I pull the board out I will put the brace on.
Put the fan on last, after you mount heatsink to the board.
Have a band-aid handy too, you will need it.


The fan was running. The temp of the CPU was about 64C in the Bios when I checked. I could feel warm air coming from the stock fan.

I'm pretty sure stock fan + stock thermal paste = my bad results (not positive though). It was hard to get on.

I'm pretty sure this is a common problem now that I have been researching it. A quick google search revealed this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=262067

Also can i put down the back brace for the Xigmatek without removing my mobo? I don't have a removable tray in this case.

Also did you use AS5 or MX-2?

Finally do you think I should add an intake fan in the front to get better air flow?

I'll keep a whole stack of Band Aids ready just in case.
August 24, 2008 5:04:49 AM

fist do you have a b3? who knows what that guys problem

no its not a common problem your specs are not common

instal cpuz and check the model number or check the number on the retail box

yes - b3 is hotter but thats not it!

there is 9 screws to pull the mobo out! good news! xig in my photo is push pin no backer plate! make sure you get a push pin

i use both for the xig use AS - normal hsf use mx-2

yes you should add an intake fan and yes it will help - i assumed you took the door off and the temps where still high. if you pull the door and the temps are NOT AS high your case is bad, what i mean is your cooling is bad


band aids? lol!



August 24, 2008 5:11:54 AM

dragonsprayer said:
fist do you have a b3? who knows what that guys problem

no its not a common problem your specs are not common

instal cpuz and check the model number or check the number on the retail box

yes - b3 is hotter but thats not it!

there is 9 screws to pull the mobo out! good news! xig in my photo is push pin no backer plate! make sure you get a push pin

i use both for the xig use AS - normal hsf use mx-2

yes you should add an intake fan and yes it will help - i assumed you took the door off and the temps where still high. if you pull the door and the temps are NOT AS high your case is bad, what i mean is your cooling is bad


band aids? lol!


Yes, I think an intake fan would help the airflow. However I don't think that it is the only problem. The temps still seem really hot even with the side panel off.

A Xig couldn't hurt my temperatures, could it? It must be improvement from stock cooler.

The Xig normally comes with just push pins. I thought the bracket plate would help. However, I don't really want to pull my mobo out just to add a bracket plate.

Is SLACR my model number?
August 24, 2008 5:39:17 AM

Yes the board has to come out for the back plate install.
No, can't hurt, it is a good cooler, works great. AS5 I used.
Band aids yeah lol, the dang fins are sharp. I was bleeding good!!!
I was a tin-knocker so cuts don't bother me; blood on my motherboard does. The fan mounting rubber things were a PITA.
And yes 120mm fan in, and 120mm fan out lowered my temps a few degC.
If SLACR is in the mod# then you have a GO
August 24, 2008 5:45:35 AM

bill1024 said:
Yes the board has to come out for the back plate install.
No, can't hurt, it is a good cooler, works great. AS5 I used.
Band aids yeah lol, the dang fins are sharp. I was bleeding good!!!
I was a tin-knocker so cuts don't bother me; blood on my motherboard does. The fan mounting rubber things were a PITA.
And yes 120mm fan in, and 120mm fan out lowered my temps a few degC.
If SLACR is in the mod# then you have a GO


Ok thank you. Is the back plate handy? Will the clip in pins on the regular xig work without removing mobo? I might just go with those and save $7 (hopefully I can get it in, I would really love to not remove mobo, I know it's only 9 screws, but I don't want to have to re-cable it). Also does the fan on the Xig point in the opposite direction of the exhaust fan? It sure looked that way in the flash animation on their website. That doesn't make too much sense to me.

I also realized that I didn't have the Energy Saving thing installed on my motherboard. Would this help my idle temperatures?

Finally, could you give me a link to a good intake fan on NewEgg. I'm not really quite sure what to search for.
August 24, 2008 6:02:38 AM

I did not use the back plate I got, I will one day, when I pull the board.
The push pins work, you just have to make sure they snap in.
I would say the back plats is more secure.
The fans I got are here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I got them because of the free shipping, and good reviews.
They seem to work good. They do move a good bit of air.
You can hear them for sure.
Not sure if 120mm will fit in your case, you have to look and see.
Good luck with it.
August 24, 2008 6:08:38 AM

bill1024 said:
I did not use the back plate I got, I will one day, when I pull the board.
The push pins work, you just have to make sure they snap in.
I would say the back plats is more secure.
The fans I got are here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I got them because of the free shipping, and good reviews.
They seem to work good. They do move a good bit of air.
You can hear them for sure.
Not sure if 120mm will fit in your case, you have to look and see.
Good luck with it.


Ok, thanks, that fan should work. I already have a 120x120x25 exhaust fan in the back. ASE Labs say that a 120x120x25 intake fan on the front is optional. :) 
August 24, 2008 7:05:11 AM

First, push pin system works great - everyone lovs to slam it.
the only issue is shipping


next - i am typin on a system running 3 stress tess - how that for stablity!

here is the data:


August 24, 2008 7:08:47 AM

so whats my point try running full out 100% stree stest and ram

and while its running type posts and print screns! know thats multiatasking - xtreme!



this is overclcoking

so i am still printing screens while running stess tests!


August 24, 2008 7:15:40 AM

Just to sum up the post:

1) Try Xig w/ AS5 (no need for retention bracket)

2) Install Dynamic Energy Saver for GA-EP45-DS3L

3) Add Intake Fan on Front Case

Does this sound like a good plan? I think I"ll order the parts from NewEgg tomorrow.

Which way should I install the fan on the Xig? Should I install it directly facing the exhaust in the back or towards the intake in the front or some other way?

Also what program is the best for CPU monitoring?
August 24, 2008 7:26:27 AM

yes - not sure of 2 DES - i would need to research that and i have to a quote off to the middle east!

fan blows through the hs towards the rear

air alwas boves from bottom front to top back

doors blow in

i printd those screen shots so you can see the settings and temps

temps are 48-55c at 100% out at 3.3ghz at 4-4-4-12

also note - i can post while it runs and print and load photos to photobuket
August 29, 2008 1:00:36 AM

Sorry for lack of update. I ordered the parts Sunday and just got them today. However, NewEgg forgot the Thermal Paste, so I can't try it until that arrives. I got the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and an intake fan. I'm in the process of prepping everything for when I get my new AS5. Hopefully this new stuff will cool down my computer. I'll post back with results when I get my AS5 (I'm hoping tomorrow or I'll have to wait through labor day weekend).

Edit: How should I attach the retention bracket? I heard the double sided tape is really sticky. should I just expose part of it?
August 29, 2008 6:53:39 PM

I just thought I'd post an update. I got the thermal paste and installed all the parts. My temperatures are looking a lot better now (this is with case closed).

List of Additions

1. Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HSF w/ Retention Bracket

2. Artic Silver 5

3. Added Sythe 120mm intake fan

My temps look really good right now. The only thing that might be a bit high is TempIn0. It keeps on slowly climbing. Is this my NorthBridge? Do they make Northbridge fans? Do you think I should be concerned?

Here is a picture of my updated Temps: http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5192/goodlk8.png

I just wanted to ask one last question. I read about speed stepping. Would this be a good thing to enable? Also how would I go about enabling it?

Thanks for all the help. It looks like my computer will be playable now. I'm hoping that this was the problem that was causing the crashes.

a c 125 à CPUs
August 29, 2008 10:28:05 PM

Your temps are fine, even you TmpIn0(it may be the NB it may not) is fine.

If you do want an aftermarket NB cooler, they do make them, just make sure it does not block or otherwise interfere with other components on the system.

Alternatively you can just ziptie or screw a 40mm fan to it, this works well too.

Speedstep can be enabled in the bios, to make it work on XP you also have to set your power management to Portable/Laptop. then your cpu will clock down to 1600mhz(assuming you are still running stock speeds) at idle and further lower idle temps and same power too.
August 29, 2008 11:04:11 PM

nukemaster said:
Your temps are fine, even you TmpIn0(it may be the NB it may not) is fine.

If you do want an aftermarket NB cooler, they do make them, just make sure it does not block or otherwise interfere with other components on the system.

Alternatively you can just ziptie or screw a 40mm fan to it, this works well too.

Speedstep can be enabled in the bios, to make it work on XP you also have to set your power management to Portable/Laptop. then your cpu will clock down to 1600mhz(assuming you are still running stock speeds) at idle and further lower idle temps and same power too.


Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm planning on running at stock speeds for a while to make sure that everything is working fine. I may try speed stepping later tonight. It seems like a good utility to save energy and help my temps.

Also thanks for the original recommendation to check my temperatures. It saved me a lot of time. :) 
September 3, 2008 9:47:51 PM

you temps are perfect!

Xbit slammed this cooler since they did not know how to install it and claimed it was due to the cpu packing - while they could be right - i still think they installed it wrong. you need to use alot of the thermal paste!

your temps are very low for the cpu - yes that is the mobo temps and 45c is good below 55-60c at max temp and out put is good. above 65c you have stability issues with high fsb

SPEED STEPPING - i highly recommend you use it with overclocking. while some people will tell you to turn if off i see no benifit to off and great benfit to on. some people claim there is a latency i disagree.

!