Need Major Help Cooling Q6600

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I just purchased a Q6600. It works great. However, it is getting way too hot. The core temps idling are in the 60s C. I'm using stock cooling with no OC. I really need help. I think that it was getting so hot that it was automatically shutting off (my monitor would go black). I hope I didn't hurt it. I didn't know that it would get that hot at stock speeds.

Anyway does anyone have any tips for cooling it down. Should I buy a better fan or something. I'm using the SompranoRS case. Any tips for ventilation on that. I'm using XP.

Edit: Do I realized that I didn't install Dynamic Energy Saver on my DS3L mobo. Do you think that would help my cooling issues?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
idling at 60c under load you probably are shutting down at load

you might make sure you installed it right and remove and replace the paste

there is pletty of good cpu coolers - you should google and research them

thermal right ultra or umtima
xigmatec
zerotherm
zalman 9500 or 9700

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

I just reinstalled the heat sink and when I started it back up, it was at 80ish C. I don't know why it is so hot. It def seems like the fan is in place. Should I send the CPU back and get a new one? I ordered it from NewEgg about 4 days ago. I don't see why it is so hot. I haven't overclocked it. Do you think it is just the stock cooling?

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Ok, thank you a bunch for the help. I think that I'm going to get another HSF. I did a bit of research on Google and lots of people seem to be having this same problem. The stock cooler just doesn't seem to be working very well.

Wouldn't the alcohol hurt the mobo. Is there a tutorial for removing the old thermal paste?

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Definitely remove that thermal paste and get new stuff. I bought Arctic Cooling MX-2 (thermal compound), which is great because it doesnt need to settle in. The cooler I bought is the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the retention bracket for it, my Q6600 idles at 35C (overclocked to 3.2ghz), doesn't really go past 50C under load. Hell, at 3.6ghz it barely breaks 60C.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Did you ever try the stock cooler?

I'm thinking about that cooler. I've read some pretty good reviews of it and the price is hard to beat. I couldn't believe how hot it was. I should have checked it sooner, but I really thought it was a problem in my monitor or video card. Thanks for the help everyone.

How do you spread the alcohol for taking off the old thermal paste? Do you take the CPU out and then wipe it with a cotton ball or something?

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
You want a cloth that doesn't leave fibers or oils. Coffee filters are pretty good for the task.

Use Isopryl Alcohol. The purer the better. It shouldn't hurt components (if the machine is off of course) and it evaporates very quickly.

bill1024

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
I had my q6600-GO at 3ghz (9x333 1.265V) with the Stock cooler.
Loaded with folding@home 100% load.
It was folding 60-62 degC.
It was 42-44 degC idle. Using Core temp program.
5 deg cooler with real temp program.

What program are you using to read temps?
And what is the cpu voltage?
Do you have good case ventilation ?
Intake and exhaust fans.
I have 1 120mm fan exhausting out the back.
One blowing in from the front.
Adding them brought down the temps 4 degC.
Installed this cooler Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Temps went down another 7degC

Good luck with it.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

I have one exhaust fan in the back. I don't have a fan in the front. However, even with the case open, the temps are still very high. The CPU doesn't crash with the case open though. I am using HWMonitor which was reccomended to me in a different post. I can check my CPU voltage. I want to make it quick though, because I think my cpu will get hot really quickly and I don't want to damage it.

The Xigmatek looks like a pretty good cooler and is very cheap. However, I heard that it used the same push pins as the stock cooler. Could you tell me how installation was? I hated those push pins so much. Also should I replace the thermal paste with something better? Does this thermal paste do a good job ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007 )?

I'll check the voltages when I know what a good voltage is (I believe that I can do this with HWMonitor unless there is a better program that I should use).

Thanks for the help so far. Hopefully I can get these CPU temps down. My computer really runs fast with the new CPU.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for the thermal paste suggestion.

Just curious what does prime95 mean?

Also my specs are:

GA-EP45-DS3L
8800GTS
500 Watt Ultra Power Supply
SopranoRS case (1 exhaust fan)
Q6600
2GB DDR2 Ram 800MHz
250GB Seagate HD 7200RPM
80GB Samsung HD 7200RPM

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Prime95 is software app to test CPU/Memory at loads beyond what regular programs would demand. So it makes your CPU run hotter, as well as test for instabilities for OC's or stock.

If you go to the OC forum, and look at the sticky for OC quads, you'll find it there.

Edit:

OC guide

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I booted up my cpu for a minute to check the voltages. The temperature is insane. I def need a new HSF, but do you think there is another problem also? I mean the cpu cores are in the 80s.

Here is a picture:
baduv2.png

This is with stock cooling after reseating it. I couldn't add more thermal paste because I don't have any thermal paste that hasn't expired. The temperatures were about 15C cooler before reseating it (ruining the thermal paste that came with it).

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oooph.. don't do that. :lol:

Problem is, when the chip gets that hot, it can protect itself. Its just the compoents around it will suffer. I remember someone saying the plastic part of the socket melted.

If you really want to be sure you have the stock on correctly, turn the black handles towards the arrow, then lift to remove. Then turn them the opposite. After cleaning the bottom of the HS, and top of the CPU with rubbing alcohol (90% works best) reapply the thermal grease according to its instructions.

Before you place the HS on, check to make sure the black pin is all the way up. Then make sure the white clamps go totally through the hole on the MB. Starting with the pin that may have gave you the most problems, push that one down first (its normally the one closes to the NB HS).

When your done, if you can check the backside of the MB. It should look like:

MB-back.jpg

Edit:

I wouldn't try anymore till you get more thermal grease.

Edit:

:heink: . o O (what is up with the 12v rail? 2.18v???)

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Ya, I don't intend to. I just booted it up for 30s to get voltages. Do those voltages look alright?

It was still extremely hot before I reseated it. I think the HSF is also really bad. I'm thinking I should replace that along with the thermal grease and hope that it cools down.

Edit: I don't know anything about voltages, so could someone help me. I didn't mess around with them at all. I just put in the CPU using the picture guide that Intel provided.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

Is that bad? How do I fix it?

This was taken right after boot up if that helps at all. The computer was running for 45s max.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

your doing something wrong

did you reapply TC? you sure you have enough?

thats really high

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
system i just built is 3.4ghz q6600 - i have never sent a cpu back - i doubt it.

55c max core temp with 1000rpm with xigma cooler - 44-44c core idle

bios shows 48c core temp

you have to install xig cooler right - double install it

install it once with lots of compound to push it into the cracks and then wipe it lightly and reapply it regular

i may have wrote it here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250728-28-xigmateck-thermalright-120mm-plastic-forgot

i wrote out how i install thermalright and xig coolers

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I ran out of Thermal Grease in that last picture. The only reason I even started up my computer, was to get those voltages. Do the voltages look ok to you? I know the temperature is really high. Those were taken right after Windows booted.

I was using bad intel Thermal Grease along with stock cooler. I reseated it a few times. The best i got it down to was in the 58-64C with Intel Cooler. I really think I need an after market one ><.

I'm thinking about getting some MX-2 Thermal Grease and a cooler. Thanks for the link you posted. However, now I'm confused between the different models of Xigmatek coolers (I think I was looking at this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003 ). Should I also buy a retention bracket for it? Which one is best for cooling the Q6600 in your opinion?

Also I noticed a tiny cable might be touching the NorthBridge. Would this make a huge difference in temperatures?

Finally, I have no intake fan. I do have an exhaust fan right next to my CPU. Do you think that is enough?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
your voltage should be 1.44-1.46 at 100% out put with Q6600 at 3.4-3.6ghz

you can run 1.4-1.44 at 3.0-3.4 ghz

if enbable dample or loadline calbration on intel mobo its 1.4875-1.51v

with nvidia the Vdroop is huge you can need as much as 1.6v, there people who cringe when i write this but i ship systems with 1.6v with 65nm cpu's and give 3 year warranty.

typically you see drop at idle and big drip at load as is designed - enabling the dampner or load line cal reduces Vdroop

key is temp 55c is not hot 65c is my max i ship - 65 at full load running for days at full load. to run all 4 cores i run orthos and stablity test (google and down load from pcworld)

i usully run mutli orthos with ram and cpu seperate to tune it.

your temperature not that high with that low voltage if they are the cpu is not touching the cooler.

yes you need lots of fans that is key but still that would not cause your issue - these have 6 fans!

wszmgm-23.jpg

xig cooler

WSZred900-2.jpg

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

The thing is that at the time when I tested it, I wasn't playing a game. I'm pretty sure that it was close to the idle temp. 55-65C seems high for Idle. I do think that a new HSF would help.

I'm using a GA-EP45-DS3L board. I have not tried flashing the bios or configuring it at all. So are my voltages off. I'm trying to just run at the core speed of 2.4GHz. I don't think I understand what you are saying about the voltages. If they are off, then how would I fix them?

I'm thinking about just buying the Xigmatek S-1823, MX-2, and a new intake fan. Do you think this would solve my heat issues?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first, its possible the temps are wrong - does the system such down? at load i would expect your close to shut down

the temps seem too high - you sure its installed right? do you see thermal compound on the hsf when you remove it? you need to by arctic silver or mx2 etc

yes the hsf will help if you oc - if not oc-ing with low voltage the stock cooler should run around 40-45c at full load with bad cooling maybe 50c max at full load

flash the mobo! you have a p45 chipset made for 45nm and your running 65nm chip - you may need a flash. research the mobo too, see if it reads wrong.

xig is cheap

i am not sure you have a heat issue, i think you have bios issue. looing at all your temps everything else is inline - it could be a bios issue reading the cpu?

again with xig you got to goop on the TC!

good luck

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008

I haven't been using MX-2 or AS5. I just used the thermal grease that came with the stock fan. It could be a problem with my BIOS. However, my computer has been shutting down with my side panel on, so I think the readings are accurate. It would explain this shutting down. I think that I will try the Xig and MX-2 and hope that it fixes my heat issue. I might also buy an intake fan for the front of my SopranoRS to try to increase the air flow. Maybe I will also try flashing my Bios, although the info on all the flashes at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L page, don't really seem to be about fixing temperatures. They mainly seem to be about overclocking ram and stuff.

My case is about 8in wide. Do you think this is wide enough to fit the xig?

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
A new heatsink will not solve your problems unless you break your thermal compound habits! :)

I used to have this NASTY habit of just re-using the thermal grease that was left over on the proc and heat sink when moving to a new board. One day I was struggling to come up with a reason for my poor WOW performance and I found out my old Pentium 4 was running at like 90 something Celsius!! It was throttling itself like crazy to keep from exploding. I went to Fry's and bought some Arctic Silver, applied it according to instructions (after cleaning off the old crud) and it worked awesome from then on.

Thermal grease is a very important component of your computer that can cause big problems if done improperly.