Sign in with
Your question

VERY VERY HOT TEMPS????!!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2009 12:11:04 AM

hello all
i currently have an intel core 17 920 running at 3.5 ghz.
i am haveing alot of trouble with temps though:( 
my idle temps are 40 degrees celcius and load is close to 80 when using prime
everything is stable as i have increased vcore ever so slightly (in bios the next choice up up from the normal vcore)
is ther any err... things i should turn off in bios to reduce temps.

i will change the thermal paste on the cooler aswell in a moment whe i get the time and i will repost the temps then :) 

My specs : mobo ex58-ud4p
cpu - i7 920 at 3.5ghz
gfx - 4870 x2
cpu cooler - thermalright ultra 120 extreme 1366 ( fan used is the fan from the thermaltake typhoone vx cooler)

More about : very hot temps

July 5, 2009 12:50:11 AM

i7s run hot, they cant help it, theyre that good, but the true should be able to keep that baby below 80, whats ambient?
Related resources
July 5, 2009 3:25:27 PM

hi err yeah idel temps are around 30 Cecilius (that's an avg.) the cpu is running stock at the moment (133x 20) i am running prime and it reads an avg of about 65-70 per core. have noticed it jump to what looks like about 77 every now and then. am using core temp. not sure how accurate it is though as never used it. i heard some where that you have to tern of something in bios to overcluck good. heard of this?
July 5, 2009 3:58:06 PM

those are quite poor temps for a U120, my akasa nero gets those temps with generic TIM, stock fan and OC'ed to 3.2Ghz along with dust filled filters.

try reseating the heatsink using OCZ freeze TIM.
July 5, 2009 4:06:14 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
those are quite poor temps for a U120, my akasa nero gets those temps with generic TIM, stock fan and OC'ed to 3.2Ghz along with dust filled filters.

try reseating the heatsink using OCZ freeze TIM.

befor your comment i had re set the thermal paste. temps droped bout 5 degrees or so... now at 3.2 and no change to stock vcore. same temps as i had wrote above. just testing stability now on prime
oh by the way, i used arctic silver 5 paste. recon its good.
July 5, 2009 4:15:34 PM

it's still a bit high for the U120, maybe your fan is bottlenecking the heatsink.
July 6, 2009 1:38:12 AM

Quote:
Take the side off your case, if the temps drop drastically then your not getting enough airflow through the case.

god should be gettin enough, bought the thermaltake spedo advanced case! that think is practically a freezer with all the fans in the bloddy thing
July 6, 2009 4:25:06 AM

Are you sure those temps are correct? What monitoring are you using? Download something like realtemp and make sure your tjmax is set correctly. However, given that your idle does not seems as off as your load I hold less hope that it is an error because a incorrect tjmax would effect both.

Airflow could also be an issue, but sounds like you have a good case. Until I got more fans, I ran my comp with the door open and a fan blowing inside. LOL. Got 4 fans and the temps are under control closed door and everthing. Anyway, good luck.
July 6, 2009 4:31:25 AM

Also, are you overvolting to get that OC? If you set your voltage manually. I would try to optimize(hopefully you have a dual bios mobo, saved me a ton of headaches with failed posts OCing). I raised my voltage to get a stable overclock with a non-ideal FSB. When I got the FSB dialed in I found I could lower voltage ~.05.
a c 121 K Overclocking
July 6, 2009 4:08:31 PM

I think your temps are nominal.
When using prime95, check for cpu throttling using cpu-z. The spikes and drops might be caused by the cpu lowering the multiplier to protect itself.

Some true heat sinks did not have a flat base. You might want to lap it flat. Put a drop of water on the cooler bottom, and press it to a plate of glass. Look at how the water spreads. It should spread out evenly, and the suction should almost let you suspend the cooler by itself.

Since very few games use more than two cores, consider turning off hyperthreading. This will reduce the thermal load on the chip.

But-- consider that 3.5 is plenty to drive your 4870X2 to capacity, and a higher overclock will really net you very little increase in FPS.
July 7, 2009 12:50:55 AM

thank you I will keep that in mind what voltage would u recomend for 3.5
a c 121 K Overclocking
July 7, 2009 3:59:26 AM

heroofspirits said:
thank you I will keep that in mind what voltage would u recomend for 3.5

I think you can keep it at stock w/o hyperthreading.
July 8, 2009 8:33:59 AM

hi all i believe i cut down some heat issues. am running now at 3.7 with temps in games rarely touching the 70 mark. hyperthreading is still on. found an option where i changed what kind of looked like a multiplier, though diddnt affect speeds. believe it was to do the the qpi. any way, droped it from x20 to x16 and it dropped temps by about say, 10 or so... happy with that. and its stable, played crysis for 4 hours and its all good. frames though are still "sluggish" but ive come to expect that, lol!! dot dare to run prime though as temps do reach 100, which caused me and my comp to freak out, ha ha, shouldnt have left it alone! any who, thanks for the help
a c 121 K Overclocking
July 8, 2009 4:18:24 PM

heroofspirits said:
hi all i believe i cut down some heat issues. am running now at 3.7 with temps in games rarely touching the 70 mark. hyperthreading is still on. found an option where i changed what kind of looked like a multiplier, though diddnt affect speeds. believe it was to do the the qpi. any way, droped it from x20 to x16 and it dropped temps by about say, 10 or so... happy with that. and its stable, played crysis for 4 hours and its all good. frames though are still "sluggish" but ive come to expect that, lol!! dot dare to run prime though as temps do reach 100, which caused me and my comp to freak out, ha ha, shouldnt have left it alone! any who, thanks for the help

If you can't run prime95 because the heat becomes too great, you are unstable, and need to fix the problem.
The cpu is probably reducing the multiplier under stress, reducing your cpu power by 1/2.
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2009 2:45:03 PM

Quick question..... How much thermal paste are you using. Also are you running speedfan to monitor the temps? Only thing that comes to my mind is that you are using either too much paste or not enough...Or maybe you need a new heatsink fan (check rpm's).

My i7 rig never goes above 63c using a CM V8 3.5Ghz (Antec 902), unless I run 2 instances of prime95 and play a game of CoD4 all at the same time taking in consideration that the ambient temp is at 78-80F or higher.

What rpms's do you see on the heatsink fan? Try downloading a monitoring app to check on rpm's (speedfan works flawless for me).

Using AS-5 paste.....
December 7, 2009 12:43:19 PM

em, Vid of CPU? Lapped CPU and TRUE? RPMs on Fans? Case ventilation? good contact between heatsink and CPU? Ambient?
But i dont think its running THAT hot. Any decent OC starts begging for watercooling.
December 7, 2009 10:05:04 PM

cats_Paw said:
em, Vid of CPU? Lapped CPU and TRUE? RPMs on Fans? Case ventilation? good contact between heatsink and CPU? Ambient?
But i dont think its running THAT hot. Any decent OC starts begging for watercooling.

wow your late... this is a old thread and the problem fixed... months ago
January 21, 2010 9:57:31 AM

Mine's currently running on an average of 87C for each core .... Still going strong, but I'm a little concern to be honest. I guess the temp increase is expected given the overclock from 2.8 to 3.8. Not sure if this is also a result from increase my PLL to 1.9 and QPI to 1.29V.
!